Two big healthcare stories

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

First, Obamacare seems to be imploding on itself:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/06/news/economy/anthem-ohio-obamacare/index.html

There are many other articles on the same thing. Looks like the implosion is starting.

The biggest problem with the law is how poorly written it was. You can't pass a law this controversial without it being bulletproof. And you surely can't let its success depend on the Congresses and Presidents who follow. But in haste before they lost the votes to get something passed, this is what you get.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second, since everyone, those on the left anyway, seem to think single payer is the future, how do you think this would play in the US? They even used the "R" word.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/apr/22/nhs-letter-more-rations-on-operations-obese-smokers

This is my single biggest fear about single payer. That the government will ration healthcare to try to influence behavior. For those that support single payer, do you support actions such as these?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you prefer an unaccountable corporation rationing healthcare to try to influence behavior as happens now?

3. SusanK macrumors 68000

There is only one health insurance story. The GOP cannot make a deal with themselves.

Interested in another story? Big Shot Art of the Deal author can't make a deal with a politician.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....The very first sentence of your source cites uncertainty. Uncertainty....no doubt driven by the fact that this Congress seems hell bent on changing an industry that is 1/6th of the entire economy, yet can't seem to vote their way out of a paper bag. Maybe that cause of uncertainty? Just maybe?

The mental gymnastics you've gone through to willfully overlook the present lay of the land are breathtaking, 10/10.

:rolleyes:

Listen, I've been a vocal critic of this ******** corporate scheme since before it passed (check my post history if you wish, I've considered it a last gasp corporatist money grab since day one), but the fact we can't even have an honest discussion of why it's currently "failing" (Rubio's weasel move of inserting language in the omnibus bill undermining the risk corridors...which where there to provide your precious friggin "certainty" over ten years) is frankly, really ****ing annoying.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Nope. Don't support that. That's what things like taxes on cigarettes are for.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

These insurers, man. Serve them right to be dropped on their heads into single payer for spreading all this fud. Half of it is pique for not being allowed to do their mega mergers last year when they wanted to consolidate five mega insurers into three for god's sake. Mofos one and all. I used to think it would be good to migrate into single payer so as to allow for an attrition-based resettlement and retirement of the employees. The more they act out now the more I say do medicare-for-all and see what happens.

7. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

That was kind of my point. The law should have been written better to prevent things like that.

I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying that insurers somehow placed an article in a UK paper?

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Was referring to the first of the articles, the CNN one about insurers departing ACA. They can't figure out what rate hikes to ask their regulators for... like we can't figure out ahead of time how to budget for a rate jack in the price of gasoline for the car? Trying to find my heart to see if it still bleeds. I cannot weep for their plight, that's for sure.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The law should have been written in a way to block a senator from cutting a funding source years later? How much jibberish can you fit into your post?

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For low income people, rationed health care is better than nothing. If you have enough money and want better health care than rationed care, you can pay out of your pocket.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The Repubkican party used to support the idea of UHC until they got all turned around in political chess.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Just set up a public option and let them compete.

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Right - "compete" being the operative word here. Health Care has no real options for most unlike auto insurance where you can shop and keep them somewhat honest. I also believe that costs for procedures must come down. The actual costs for things is obscene. Thats what happens when there are too many hands in the till and it just gets passed off to the other guy.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Most of the cost for procedures in a hospital setting is the facility fees (hospital fees), the doctors have been taking home less and less year after year.

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

man that brush is so huge too bad you can stop including all the people you hate in your posts like they are one person.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Er. That's why you only use a big brush :p

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

tell you what how about we pull up a search in the last month and see who wins? I know you try to say I do it but when was the last time? I have seen you do it 5 times in a day. maybe you should look at yourself on this first huh?

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

al a carte healthcare single payer system ... ugh.
    You'll end up with minimalist rationed healthcare then you can buy "extra".
    Not seeing a benefit in that :(

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

That just means I always beat you my friend ;)

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I bow out to that challenge you win good luck with the prize stupid games and all that.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Depends on how it's implemented, sadly it will be a while and a gazillion mistakes will be made before things get better. CA is seemingly willing to try it

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

True - too bad there is absolutely no way to pay for it.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Tack it on to all the other **** people want the 1% to pay for.

24. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

First, The ACA can certainly be improved (increase penalty, increase subsidies, lower bar to subsidy eligibility), but it is overall stable and doing exactly what it was designed to do. Indeed, Trump's own appointee to the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services put out a report last month that concluded:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Programs-...ds/Summary-Reinsurance-Payments-Risk-2016.pdf

The “risk score” is a measure of the health status of enrollees. If the exchanges were "imploding," the risk scores would be rising fast. They’re not, according to Trump’s own government.

Second, that article you linked itself contradicts your point. The Anthem pulled out because of uncertainty created by Trump and his cabinet - not because of the law as written. "Like its peers, Anthem is concerned that the Trump administration will stop funding the federal cost-sharing reduction subsidies that insurers receive to reduce deductibles and co-pays of lower-income Obamacare enrollees."
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017 ---
    How is that any different from now? We ration healthcare in the US - except we do it by wealth. The wealthier you are, the better and more expensive your insurance is, the sooner you get treated and the better the treatment. At least in the UK, they ration based on factors that actually matter.