Two black men arrested for being black in a Starbucks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Apr 14, 2018.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Two black men waiting for friend at Starbucks before ordering get cops called on them. You can see everyone defending them in the store but they still cuffed and hauled them off. THIS is why we have such a huge trust problem with the police. See for yourself here

Starbucks immediately issued this apology as well, for the record.
    [​IMG]

2. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

You'd think that things like this wouldn't happen in a Starbucks place, of all things.

3. raqball macrumors 68000

Are you blaming the Police or Starbucks?

They were not arrested for being black, that's false! Maybe the manager called the police because they were black but....... The police acted based on the manager saying they were unwanted / trespassing and them refusing to leave when asked.

The fault 100% lies with Starbucks. The manager called the police and said they were trespassing. The police asked the men to leave, at the request of the manager, and they refused, thus trespassing..

From the police:

4. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

5. 0007776 Suspended

If that’s the case then the fault is definitely with the Starbucks manager or employee who called the cops. If you are in a private business the owner can ask you to leave, if you believe you were being asked to leave due to your race and not a general policy against loitering your best bet is to leave and come back with a lawsuit, not to ignore the cops directions.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

It will be.

7. raqball macrumors 68000

Yeah the fault lies with Starbucks and no-one else. Now the only question is did the Starbucks manager call because they were black. Could be who knows but the police have zero to do with this.

8. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

Starbucks coffee is too high $$ and it sucks..

9. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

A Starbucks apology is as worthless as their coffee is. Damage limitation PR at its finest.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

According to a witness account, other people were doing the same thing as these men (sitting in the store without buying anything), but weren't asked to leave.
    http://abc11.com/3342444/

11. raqball macrumors 68000

Intersting.. Looks like Starbucks is going to be out some cash and the manager will be looking for a new job..

12. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Did this just happen?

I want to hear more about this.

13. 0007776 Suspended

Yep, I wouldn’t be shocked to find out that that is the reason why the manager called, and if so I hope that they sue that manager. Unfortunately since Starbucks put out a statement apologizing people will want to just blame the cops for doing heir job.

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

raqball is spot-on. They weren't arrested for being black, they were refusing to leave after being told they were trespassing and refused, thus the officers had no choice. One of them was black too.

IMO we don't know why the manager / employees called the cops. All we have is what others around are saying. There's always another side and we're not seeing it. At the end of the day, it's the Starbucks Peeps that caused the incident by involving the police. The cops....they were just doing their job.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

On the one hand, yes, they were doing their job. On the other hand, I wonder if cops shouldn't ask themselves if the men were being singled out due to their race. Having police be sensitive to possible race issues would go a long way toward mitigating these kinds of incidents.

16. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

They should sue Starbucks for sure but also sue the manager and individual who called 911 in small claims court. If they each do that then it will financially impact these people more than Starbucks losing $1m ever will.

17. 0007776 Suspended

It also could easily end up with police being afraid of being accused of racism and not intervening in a crime before someone actually gets hurt. I’d rather have the police do their jobs and let the courts sort it out when they have time instead of a cop trying to make a decision like that in the heat of the moment.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Just because one police officer is black doesn't mean that there isn't a race issue occurring. You need to get that type of stereotyping and generalizing out of your head.

Again, if you had notice @Night Spring's link to a witness account of who was there at the time, you'd notice that there were white people who were doing the same exact thing at that same Starbucks at the same time as those black people were there, and were not arrested for trespassing, nor asked to leave. Yes, there is a problem here. Yes, the problem has to do with the manager at that Starbucks who called the police. And yes, whether you like it or not, we are having yet another chapter in race relations whether you choose to or not to accept it or believe it, because these people were arrested for doing the same thing that other people were there doing, and yet they were the only ones carted off.

Starbucks admitted that they have work to do on this, especially with their employees; will others admit that we have just an equal job to do once again with race, especially given today's climate and what has transpired over the past 18 months under this administration?

I sincerely hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

BL.

19. raqball macrumors 68000

That's not for the police to decide in this instance. The manager tells them they are unwanted and that he/she want them removed. The police then ask the people to leave and if they refuse they are arrested for trespassing. In some jurisdictions it's a simple ticket, in others its a trip to jail. The victim of the crime would be Starbucks.

Also, we don't know what discussions the police had with the manager before speaking to the unwanted's. We also don't know the managers reasons for calling the police in the 1st place.

I also lay some blame on the people asked to leave. You may not agree with the business decision asking you to leave but when the police ask it's probably best to do so then take the matter up later.

My .02

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Welcome back to 1955. We have arrived. Perhaps I should tell my interracial family to get accustomed to sitting at the back of the bus or risk going to jail... or risk going to jail myself because the police told me to leave my wife because black..

BL.

21. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

If they were white then they wouldn’t have been arrested. The cops would speak to the manager then speak to the individuals to get their account. Nobody is gonna put up a fight if cops ask you to leave Starbucks. It doesn’t lead to arrests if you’re white. So it is police racism.

22. raqball, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

When the police ask you to do something lawful like leave an area where you've been identified as an unwanted by the business you comply and skin color has absolutely nothing to with it. Don't like it? Take it up with the business later on social media, news outlets or court..
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2018 ---
    Disagree..

But how do you know they didn't? The bottom line is the police can't order the business to let them stay. If they are refusing to leave what options do the police have?

The business wants them gone and they are refusing to leave... Please list the available and viable police options under the bolded scenario..

23. 0007776 Suspended

If you are White and don’t comply when the police ask you to leave you will still get arrested. Now it might be more likely that whites will comply with the police in that situation, but I would think if that is the case it would be more based than on the nonwhite person reacting to the police with the immediate assumption that the police are being racist even if they are not.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Like you say, there are a lot of details we need to ascertain before coming to a conclusion. However, from the two news accounts I've read, it sounds like the men felt they had a legitimate reason to be there (they were waiting for a friend). So, from their point of view, the manager had no legitimate reason to ask them to leave. Under those conditions, I can understand why they might resist leaving when the cops told them to. Again, we don't know all the details, but I don't like this "arrest first and ask questions later" kind of attitude. Not all police interactions has to end with arrest. Especially when the friend they were waiting for arrived, couldn't they have just said, okay, misunderstanding, and let them go? It just feels like needless escalation and rigidity on the part of the police.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The police were called because they weren't buying anything and possibly because they were black, they were arrested because they were asked to leave by police three times and refused.