Two cops shot in Ferguson

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by P-Worm, Mar 12, 2015.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Vox

It's very disturbing to me that it has gotten to this point. I hope the shooters are apprehended and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

P-Worm

2. Huntn, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm not blaming or excusing, but rightfully or wrongly am wondering if the saying "You reap what you sow." applies for this case?

3. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Is that a fancy way of saying Liberal Blood Lust?

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah. Conservatives go after brown people, liberals go after cops, and we're all just walking, talking stereotypes.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Nope, just like there isn't any justification for cops killing unarmed people there isn't justification for killing cops. Even if you support the death penalty I haven't seen any evidence that these particular cops did anything wrong.

6. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I hope those shooters are caught and suspended without pay!

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think perhaps wrongly - the officers who were shot were not Darren Wilson. They did not sew anything, and nothing justifies shooting at somebody just because they wear a uniform. Also, it is not safe to conclude that the residents of Fergusan had anything whatsoever to do with this.

Finally, it is possible to redress the issues in Fergusan through the courts and the legislature. Violence is not needed.

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

What ever the relationship between the police and the public, nothing justifies shooting two human beings at random.:(

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Justifies? No, but no one that has been paying attention should be surprised.

Cops have been playing soldier and war, and now the streets are starting to play back.

I hope the shooters are caught and convicted, but I'm not surprised things turned out like this either.

10. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I too hope they find the shooter(s) and that they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I am not a cop hater but there are cops out there who clearly shouldn't be cops. What I find most disturbing is the amount of hypocrisy coming from both the pro-cop crowd, who vehemently deny racial bias and the need for police reform, and those protesting in support of police reform who deny that they have crossed the line at times with their hateful rhetoric calling for people to kill cops.

For instance, I see many of the same pro-cop crowd arguing on TV that the UO SAE chapter should have the right to spew their hateful rhetoric calling for the lynching of black people. And on other the hand, you have a handful of the protesters and their supporters coming on TV and arguing that they should have the right to shout kill pigs in their protests.

Words matter and we can't expect or demand respect from those to whom we are being disrespectful.

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It's confusing to me, the saying I know is "you reap what you sow", is "sew" an americanisation?

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

No, it's a typo.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    [​IMG]

There will be consequences...

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm speculating that an environment where a large minority population distrusts authority could add to the community's problems, although that might not be the case in this instance, just perps...

15. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I assume Holder and the DOJ will be back in Ferguson post haste to investigate these shootings and look for racism as an underlying factor.

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Okay, that's pretty funny ;)

17. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

If there are mass protests or riots over this, then probably. Otherwise it will probably be handled in the normal matter. It's really sad to see these cops lose their lives and I hope justice can be found.

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

They didn't die.

19. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

They were ambushed which means they were targeted and it was premeditated. Pretty disgusting. Hopefully no one is justifying this in any way that cops are now reaping what they sow.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Apparantly you don't want to deal with the psychological aspect of this discussion regarding citizens versus oppressive authority. In this case it may or may not be related.

21. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

How and when did these two cops commit oppression?

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Unless you have some sort of evidence that these particular cops were using their authority to oppress people those are two completely different issues.

23. Mousse, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It only applies if the two cops who were shot shot Micheal Brown.

Reminds me of the "Idiom" scene from the Holy Grail.

24. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I understand the psychological aspect of the situation. I'm really not that surprised that something like this has happened in Ferguson. None of us should be. But I'm disgusted and mad about it. It's deplorable and needs to be described as such.

25. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

This nicely summarises my opinion as well.