Two dead, four injured in Co. Antrim army base "drive-by" shooting

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BoyBach, Mar 7, 2009.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7930837.stm

Perhaps yesterday's announcement that the British Army was once again involved - if it ever wasn't? - in Intelligence gathering in Northern Ireland was not a wise one.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well damn. Aren't there cameras everywhere near a base?

3. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

They're in a military base, wouldn't they just shoot back with bigger guns? Or give chase with tanks?

4. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Thats what they do in Iraq. Two guys will drive by a check point and shoot at the people a few times. Army gives chase and is lead into a ambush somewhere.

5. remmy macrumors 6502a

A bad idea, imagine if they got or injured people who were innocent.

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

It's never easy being an occupying power.

I imagine the shootings and bombs are some sort of subtle message from the local natives, but I haven't a clue what they could possibly mean.

7. thecritix macrumors 6502

Mr Lax & Tomato.
    I'd like to just remind you that two British serviceman have been killed and two innocent (likely young) civilians were seriously injured.

I'm all for laughing at the funny stories, this is not one.

We're losing enough lads in Iraq & Afghanistan backing the americans up in their oil thirsty crusade.
    Probably (like the wars in asia we're fighting) a good proportion the weapons are from the USA.

I'm not anti-war and love America but I think your attitudes stink.

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Mr Raymond, I appreciate your concern for the squaddie on the ground. It's them what takes the **** in the neck.

My sarcasm was aimed at the commanding officers and top politicans of all nations who for reasons of their own, love sending their armies again and again into places like North Ireland, Chechenya, Afghanistan, etc.

'This time, it'll be different!' - Haig before the Battle of Passchendaele, 1917.

Result: 500,000 British casualties in 4 months. This was a year after the similar Battle of the Somme, which Haig also commanded, and had lost 400,000 British casualties.

9. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7930995.stm

Listening to a news report earlier, it said that the Real IRA lacks the comparable funding, weapons and, most importantly, support of the now disbanded Provisional IRA. So hopefully their apparent aim of restarting the War will be unsuccessful.

10. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Northern Ireland does not even remotely fall into the category of countries like Afghanistan or Chechnya. I'm sure the British Gov would love to get the f out of N. Ireland, but it's been bollocksed up so badly for the last several hundred years they're in it for the long haul.

Not to excuse this heinous crime. All I can hope is that it does nothing to derail the peace process. None of us want to return to those days.

Stop being so glib. Not a laughing matter.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Looks like the Real IRA are comparatively small in terms of material and popular support - so while this is a terrible tragedy, I'm hoping they are capable of nothing worse...

Perhaps a more interesting question is why did they choose to attack now?

12. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It's a total guess, but I'd imagine that this (reported in The Times the day before the attack) may have been seen as enough of an incitement/cause?

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Perhaps the "rising threat" was the Real IRA in the first place?

14. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Whether they like it or not, the 'local natives' are part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and so aren't subject to any 'occupying power'. It's not like the British Army in, say, Iraq. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, so it's hardly occupied!

Just to clarify...

Whether the news was leaked some days prior or not, I think it may well have taken more than 36 hours to plan the attack. Who knows. Let's hope the condemnation is enough to persuade them to crawl back into their cowardly holes.

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

True - that article makes it look like straightforward escalation; both sides reacting to the other side building up.

This attack seems to have angered people more than previous such attacks, given it happened so much out of the blue. You could understand (without condoning) previous attacks where people had lost friends and/or family and wanted revenge, but this is just 'someone must die for my political views'.

Good to see the condemnation is pretty much universal.

16. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

That's a very colonial statement. You'd upset a lot of people in Ireland if you said that. From about 1800 to about 1920, Ireland (the whole island) was part of the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland'. A single state, with a single government. Naturally they didn't like it much.

I think some of you here fail to understand just how offensive the British have been to the Irish. Not just in old history, but carrying on through recent years.

Up to a few years ago, pubs in East London used to carry signs saying 'No dogs or Irish'.

Anyway, back on thread, just to make it clear, I am also with the poster above and everyone in this thread in condemning these shootings at a time when highly significant political progress is being made.

17. thecritix macrumors 6502

How can you consider Northern Ireland in any way the same as Afghanistan?
    Northern Ireland is (whether you like it or not) a part of the United Kingdom and has been under attack from terrorists (as have other parts of the UK)

I have no problem in giving Northern Ireland to the Southern Irish personally but I believe if there are people in Northern Ireland who wish to remain a part of the United Kingdom then they, just as the residents of the Falkland Isles deserve the full might of the British Army to protect them.

Those gunmen aren't republicans, freedom fighters or even terrorists.
    They are quite simply criminals who have committed murder, that's why I took objection to your seemingly jovial comments.

18. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

As to your first point, what about the other half of the people who don't wish to remain part of a different country? Do they deserve the full might of an army behind them?

Agree 100% with your second point though.

19. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7934426.stm

EDIT:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ielding-him-from-hail-of-bullets-1641407.html

Extraordinary bravery.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

21. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I doubt it was anything to do with any part of any IRA . Civilians are not usually the target of the paramilitaries with this type of thing. Did the pizza order come from the base ?

22. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The pizzas were ordered for a party the soldiers were having before they left for a tour in Afghanistan (the regiment flew out a few hours after the shooting). The pizza delivery men were shot for being "collaborators".

23. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I think the modern expression is face palm.

24. faust macrumors regular

faust

I have some cousins near Antrim. :/ I wish the IRA would just go away.

25. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

It works both ways, as always.