Two dead, four injured in shooting at UNC Charlotte

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Apr 30, 2019.

1. jerwin macrumors 68020

Surprised? People exercise their second amendment rights all the time.

2. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Can't even go a freakin' week without one of these...

I heard the suspect is in custody. That's good news at least.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the 2nd does not give anyone the right to kill, but thanks for the red herring :rolleyes:

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Please, for the love of god...do not let this descend into another 2A referendum. If we can't agree after 100+ threads...we are not going to. To topic: any specific info on the shooter or circumstances? Haven't found much yet.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

shooting is pretty late, drug deal gone bad?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Last update I saw was at 7:00 pm local, that said 2 were dead, 2 had life threatening injuries, and 2 had non life threatening injuries.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Still no word on a motive for the shooting. Hopefully, he will spend the rest of his life in jail or receive the death penalty.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...c-charlotte-shooting-suspect-uncc/3636575002/

8. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/30/18524...a-shooting-uncc-charlotte-what-we-know-so-far

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Very sad. Yet another mass shooting tragedy. It seems just one of these events inspires others to do the same.

I made the mistake of checking out that 8chan site. It seems like a breeding ground for ideologically inspired attacks and an echo chamber for most forms of bigotry. The ~“John Ernest Appreciation Thread” (CA synagogue shooter) is chilling. His manifesto cites the NZ shooter as one of his inspirations.

I’m not sure what the motivation behind this attack was, ideological or not, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume this attack was inspired by other recent events.

Something needs to change here.

10. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

With 10000+ dying each year on the alter of "tyranny insurance*", one should ask is that a price worth paying for a hypothetical, which sounds much closer to Chuck Norris fan-fic?

*Not guaranteed to stop or prevent tyranny

11. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

The second amendment makes it legal to murder? I don't think the 2A means what you think it does.

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Nope just easy and open access to the means.

13. jerwin macrumors 68020

self defense is a bloody business.

14. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Really easy? Have you ever bought a gun? Also guns are a tool they don’t have a mind of their own. Everything has the means to kill someone. Should we restrict access to everything because some people have evil intentions?
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2019 ---
    You have a statistically near zero chance of being killed by a legally obtained firearm. Driving in your car on the other hand? How many people die from automobile accidents? Several hundred thousand? Maybe we should ban those?

15. Raid, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'm not asking for an absolute solution, but I would begin with the most lethal of "tools" and start from there.

Oh and I'm a statistician (well Economist so I understand stats better than the average person) what is "statistically near zero" and how far away is it from the auto accidents... inquiring minds with means want to know.

16. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Like what? Hand guns are just as lethal as the so called assault weapons everyone is yelling about? Automatic weapons are outlawed, explosives are outlawed, where do we go from there?

17. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

How about somewhere different from this typical back and forth to a state where the number of firearm deaths and mass shootings are a much more rare occurrence?

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

AS A CULTURE we need to change in the U.S.

19. appleisking macrumors 6502a

No problem. They’ll be replaced by other kinds of deaths as these killers move towards other tools they can use to kill people. You’re looking for a mechanical solution that is in essence cultural.

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

As long as these killers are made more ineffective I'm ok with it... making it as difficult as possible for killers to rack up the body count is all good in my book.

Also part of the "cultural change" is the attitude... dare I say fetish(?) towards firearms.

21. LordVic macrumors 603

two points in your comment that are absolutely asinine. Talking points that are repeated that don't have any merit to the gun discussion.

1: You have statistically low chance from being killed from a legally purchased gun... but what about illegal purchased guns? Theproblem with this argument is that there are millions of guns that are owned illegally, that are used in crime. Those people didn't buy the guns from the manufacturer. They somehow acquired the weapons via legal means. Either purchased off a legal purchaser or stolen. Every gun starts legally. It's how it winds up in crime that of big concern. There's a chain of events that have had to occur for that gun to go from legal purchaser to use in a crime. so your claim about statistically low is kind of erroneous.

2: second, the car debate... It's stupid and asanine because while a vehicle can be used as a weapon, it is not a right. abuse of a vehicle. Or failing to pass basic screening and testing for the safe and secure use of a vehicle will result in the removal of license and the impounding of the vehicle. If you want to equate guns to vehicles, than you must also be willing to accept the reasonable limits we put in place on vehicle ownership, but on guns as well. But I'm betting you're not willing to do that. This false equivelancy of vehicles to guns also fails because of intent of the action. Owning a car doesn't mean you're owning a weapon, even if it can be used as a weapon. Owning a gun means you purposely purchased a weapon. the sheer difference in that alone should showcase how fundamentally flawed this car to gun comparison is and why it hurts YOU a a gun owner to repeat.

I will support you owning your guns. As long as you support me in understanding that not everyone, everywhere should have unlimited access to whatever weaponry they so wish , and that reasonable limits for the public safety should be considered.

22. jerwin macrumors 68020

23. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Your side’s problem is hyperbole. It is not the case that everyone has unlimited access to whatever weaponry they wish. It’s also naive to believe that restricting legal access to guns would help lower illegal gun purchases. Now we already have reasonable restrictions, so how about you stop acting like I can purchase an M4 tomorrow and calm down?

24. LordVic macrumors 603

I.. never made any of the claims you stated in this post.

All i'm asking is that the points in your statement aren't as rock solid as you believed, for various reasons.

I never said anything about restricting legal gun owners, or taking away guns, or any of that. In fact, my post outright said

to whihch, as you pointed out, no, not anyone can just walk in and get an M4, so you do agree that there are some reasonable limits.

My problem is not how the legal gun owners necessarily get their guns. Especially if they legally acquired them. My problem is the flow of guns from Legal owners to Illegal use that needs to somehow get curtailed.

Illegal gun users don't generally buy their guns legally. We can agree on that. Legal gun owners who do all the right things, follow the rules, and are smart and responsible aren't the target of my commentary.

irresponsible gun owners who allow for their legally purchased weapons to fall into the hands of those who would do ill with them is my problem.

but instead of possibly discussing that rationally, you seemingly just went off the deep end. There's no hyperbole in my post to you. So I don't get the hostility.