Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrancpharmD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
Historic Norcross
OK, maybe I'm just missing something, but I can't figure two things out about iTunes. I'm finally getting around to importing all my CDs into iTunes and cannot figure out how to keep all the songs on a compilation album together like all my other albums. My current sort view is by Artist (and I'd like to keep it that way) but iTunes breaks up my compilation albums because each song is by a different artist. I know I could sort by Album, but I'd rather keep the sorting alphabetically by Artist. Is there any bypass for compilation albums? Secondly, (no stupid questions my a**!), can I transfer imported albums from my internal hard drive to the external drive I've put everything else on so far? I don't have my external drive with me today but I'd like to import a few CDs during the day today onto my iBook's internal drive and transfer to my external drive when I get home. Sorry to waste your time with these two moronic questions, but if someone would be so kind as to reply I'd appreciate it!
Frank

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
You are kind of screwed on comp. albums, I have a couple and they are all over the place. I suppose you could swap the artist/album information, but that was too confusing for me. I just navigate to the individual album if I want to see everything on it at once.

Now for song storage. You can change the location of your iTunes music folder at any time. For instance, I have mine set to a folder in the Shared section of my HD so that everyone who has an account on my computer can see the same songs without having to put the same file on the HD multiple times. Or you can just drag the new albums from your iTunes folder (they are stored inside folders with the artist name on them) to wherever you want.

Hope this helps.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Hardly lame questions. I had the same questions. Importing seems clumsy to me. I wish there was a "last import" tab like there is in iPhoto.

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
i've solved the Compilation problem by labeling artist as "various" and writing the artists' name in parenthesis after the song title.

... i'm extremely anal about my digital music collection, though.

jMc

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
Originally posted by morlium
i've solved the Compilation problem by labeling artist as "various" and writing the artists' name in parenthesis after the song title.

I've noticed this is often the case when you use cddb to find the CD info... Annoying for me as I like to keep my tunes arranged by artist. Well, guess you can't please all of the people...

jx

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Not sure precisely what you want to do, but the obvious thing is to make a playlist. If I missed the point, please ignore this, but I think now the issue would be to find all the songs in your library. This can be done by choosing View Options from the Edit menu. Check the date added box. Now you can sort your library by the date you imported the cds.

phrancpharmD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
Historic Norcross
Originally posted by morlium

... i'm extremely anal about my digital music collection, though.

Me too - your solution sounds like a GREAT one! Thanks! And thanks for the HD transfer tip mactastic. Thanks for responding!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.