Two Florida Deputies Assassinated While Eating Lunch At Local Restaurant

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Apr 19, 2018.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is very sad. Still no motive on why the shooter did this.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/2...parent-ambush-at-restaurant-suspect-dead.html

2. 0007776 Suspended

Definitely sad. Probably was some idiot who can’t comprehend that not all or even most police are evil.

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Sad that those who put their lives on the line to serve and protect us get gunned down in cold blood like this. Also sad that every crazy ass Tom, Dick and Harry has such easy access to guns and the means to do it.

5. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

Lawlessness and insanity. Society has become so accustomed to thinking all law enforcement is evil that some will do things like this. It's infuriating. They are just humans behind that badge! You're murdering a person in cold blood! You're taking away a life.

I'm a pretty staunch death penalty supporter... You don't deserve to eat on taxpayers dime after that...

6. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Fortunately the shooter killed himself.

7. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

8. 0007776 Suspended

Perhaps not, but I’d like to think that we as a society are better than the lowlife that did this.

9. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Kind of reminds me of the a similar shooting in Las Vegas by a crazy couple a few years ago.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Very tragic, as is the loss of any life. I’m fearful however some people will actually praise the assailant’s actions here as justice.

It will be interesting to see what the motivations were here.

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

As one who fully supports standing up to authority, black lives matter, etc. I would never condone the murder of a police officer in any way, just as I would never condone the killing of unarmed civilians and I think most sane people would agree. IMO people are painted as extreme when they have views one way or the other when in reality most would like to see some middle ground.

12. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

It would be nice if people spoke equally as loud regardless of who was murdered. We need to stop blaming victims - cops or civilians - and start vilifying and ostracizing people who commit heinous acts.

People who promote gunning down police and people who think things like Sandy Hook were a hoax are equally deplorable and if we started going against the perps rather than shaming victims, maybe there would be a foundation started to stop this crap.

13. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

This is what the Blue Lives Matter thing is all about. It's not undermining violence against blacks, it's something separate entirely. Police officers specifically being targeted.

14. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

This I disagree with. It's no coincidence it started right after Black Lives Matter. It was a counter-protest.

15. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Maybe it was inspired by Black Lives Matter, but there's no doubt that violence against police officers is an issue in its own right and should be dealt with.

16. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Agreed. However, it would have been nice to see the two groups come together shortly after they were formed. The protests furthered the divide. Black Lives Matter should have been called "Black Lives Matter Too". The "too" was implied, but critics used it to say "Don't all lives matter?", when that wasn't the point at all. Similarly, if the Blue Lives Matter had been more about joining the community rather than seeming like a defiant stand against the protests, it would have made a better scene.

There were moments across the country and gatherings in communities that were aimed at such a goal, but nationally, it was a divisive movement.

17. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Yep, very much an "us vs them" retaliation.

18. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Just horrible. All this senseless killing is so sad......Who has the gall to shoot 2 cops in broad daylight. I can't even fathom such an atrocity.

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I agree, the crazies are usually the minority and get the least attention, but it is frightening to see vocal radicals- whether it be on the left or the right (ie Charlotesville).

20. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Not condoning attacks against police in any way, but police officers aren't killed at a significantly high rate on the job. About 100 per year on average die from job related causes. And a large percentage of those are not homicides. Vehicle accidents are the most common cause of death. The murder rate for cops is slightly less that the murder rate for a resident of a U.S. city. 5.5 vs 5.6 per 100,000.

That said. Any targeted killings of police for doing their job are unacceptable. We need to speak out any time that happens!

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You had an all out assault on police by a group of people. Cops were targeted, inflammatory rhetoric out the ying yang "Pigs in a blanket fry them like bacon", "What do we want? Dead cops!", etc.

[​IMG]

22. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Not denying that. We also had unarmed black people killed. What would have been decent would be to ostracize the bad people on both sides and have the people who wanted awareness to both causes join, rather than be cold and combative.

Let's not pretend really disgusting things aren't said about black people - including those killed for no reason - everywhere as well. This is the issue, and what I was trying to say in my post. It's not tit for tat. Let's call this crap out on both sides.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Another senseless murder of more than one person with a firearm: another male suspect.

How do you know those tweets are real (namely, not made up by Russian trolls)?

24. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

One of these days I'm going to put a blue lives matter sticker on one side of my bumper and a black lives matter on the other and watch people's minds get blown.

25. 0007776 Suspended

Characterizing all BLM supporters as wanting to kill cops is no different than characterizing all cops as racist and wanting to kill black people. Both groups have their extremists who fit the stereotype, but they are the minority in both groups.