Two girls murdered in Texas taxi

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
http://news.yahoo.com/two-girls-murdered-texas-taxi-were-honor-killings-212713046.html

The last words from Sarah were “Oh my God, I’m dying.” Then the 911 emergency operator heard a barrage of gunshots. Sarah, 17, and her sister Amina, 18, were found shot 11 times in the back of their father’s taxi, abandoned in a hotel parking lot.

Their father Yaser Said has not been found since that New Year’s Day seven years ago when he told his daughters to climb into his cab, he was taking them out to dinner

He beat the girls and took them to Egypt to find husbands when Amina was 15 and picked one man who was almost 50. She begged and pleaded with her mother to come back home, she said.
how screwed up in the head does one have to be in order to kill your own kids over who they date?

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
I do not honor the term "Honor Killing". Neither should the media.
Yaser Said...is believed to have felt that his daughters, Amina, 18, and Sarah, 17, had dishonored the family by their refusal to adhere to conservative Islamic behavior in such ways as having boyfriends. Yaser's brothers believed [he] was justified to murder his daughters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaser_Abdel_Said

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Yaser Said...is believed to have felt that his daughters, Amina, 18, and Sarah, 17, had dishonored the family by their refusal to adhere to conservative Islamic behavior in such ways as having boyfriends. Yaser's brothers believed [he] was justified to murder his daughters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaser_Abdel_Said
That's just code for ...... My business merger with another family didn't go through.

Reactions: Meister

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Honor killing. Unfortunately, not a rare occurrence in the Muslim world.
Honor killings predate Islam and stem from tribal rituals and also occur amongst Christian communities in arab countries and amongst the Sikh community too.....

Unfortunately they are not an uncommon occurrence across africa, or the middle east.....

Edit: Or india for that matter, which is where I think they're most common, where the main religion is Hinduism

Last edited:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Honor killings are bad.

But somehow, I'm not sure how they are any worse than the sort of random murders committed every year by thousands of Americans who aren't Muslim.

In what witnesses described as a chaotic and violent scene, Sgt. Philip Seidle shot his 51-year-old ex-wife Tamara with his .40-caliber Glock service handgun in two bursts of gunfire: first through the driver's side door, and a second time as he walked around to the front of her car and shot her through the windshield — both times as police were nearby, according to eyewitness accounts
Maybe that could be explained to me.

Also, maybe someone could enlighten me how these families were made safer because Dad kept a gun around. I'm still working on that...

Reactions: adroit

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Honor killings are bad.

But somehow, I'm not sure how they are any worse than the sort of random murders committed every year by thousands of Americans who aren't Muslim.

Maybe that could be explained to me.

Also, maybe someone could enlighten me how these families were made safer because Dad kept a gun around. I'm still working on that...

So do you think India and Pakistan should be addressing this problem? Maybe you can let them know it's not a problem, that way they can reallocate money that tries to prevent these crimes.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
That's true, but you choose to raise a pertinent question with that point you make.

Why is it that when there are "random murders", you don't likewise state, "I'm not sure how these random murders are worse than the sort of honor killings committed every year by thousands of Muslims around the world"?

Is it that you extend your 'broad view' in only one direction? I ask because if you are deflecting away from murders in only the Muslim arena, it seems to rob your posts of earnestness in other areas.

Or maybe I've missed such posts of yours that extrapolate Muslim violence into non-Muslim threads.

Reactions: jbachandouris

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Maybe you can let them know it's not a problem
I'm very curious to know how you interpret what I said in that way.

Honor killings - which overwhelmingly seem to be perpetrated against young women - are a terrible crime. But it is one that overwhelmingly is committed in countries such as Pakistan.

Fortunately it is not something that happens very frequently in the United States; Britain; France or other places with both a large Muslim community - and a highly functioning law enforcement system to investigate; prosecute; and punish such crimes. Which is why I wonder what reason this seven year old story was brought up.

Honor killings are an issue for the people of Pakistan and similar countries to solve. But before we start sitting in judgement, tutting at how barbaric the world's Muslims are, maybe we ought to take a look in the mirror and ask ourselves how we allow 12,000 Americans to be murdered each year.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I'm very curious to know how you interpret what I said in that way.

Honor killings - which overwhelmingly seem to be perpetrated against young women - are a terrible crime. But it is one that overwhelmingly is committed in countries such as Pakistan.

Fortunately it is not something that happens very frequently in the United States; Britain; France or other places with both a large Muslim community - and a highly functioning law enforcement system to investigate; prosecute; and punish such crimes. Which is why I wonder what reason this seven year old story was brought up.

Honor killings are an issue for the people of Pakistan and similar countries to solve. But before we start sitting in judgement, tutting at how barbaric the world's Muslims are, maybe we ought to take a look in the mirror and ask ourselves how we allow 12,000 Americans to be murdered each year.

If you would have left the muslim out of your statement, I could partially agree with your point. You can't equate random killing of people to killing your own children IMO.

If you said they are no better than the wackjob American christians that drown their kids for the love of jesus I would be even more inclined to agree with you. When a Zionist tells that Israel treats the Arabs well because Arabs in other countries can't vote, I think that is also a BS statement. Honour Killing are a problem and American Homicide is another different problem.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Honour Killing are a problem and American Homicide is another different problem.

There is a subsection of American homicide that is eerily similar to "honor killing."

Its those tragic cases, often involving estranged spouses and child custody, where one parent (usually the father) kills his ex-wife and/or some of the children. Often following this by committing suicide. (It was such a case that I linked to in my first post.)

Such murders are not done explicitly in the name of religion. But I think that a lot of the same familial strains that motivate both crimes are the same.

Muslim scholars - without exception - have spoken out strongly against the entire concept of honor killings. There is nothing in the Koran or other Islamic scholarship that permits the taking of a life under such circumstances.