Two hard drives in restored Mojave – HELP!

rediffusion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Fairfield, CT
Yesterday I updated my MBP to Catalina and immediately disliked it. I decided to revert back to Mojave using Time Machine. After I had done this and restarted my computer I now appear to have two hard drives – see below.
The first time I did the Time Machine the restore file, so I did it again – which worked.

My question is... how do I fix this? Has Catalina caused this problem or was it the failed restore.

Many thanks in advance.

R ;)

posguy99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Neither. As documented, Catalina splits your HD into a read/only partition, where it puts the system, and a read/write partition, where it puts your data. You didn't clean this up, so you still have two partitions.

Reactions: komatsu

rediffusion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Fairfield, CT
Neither. As documented, Catalina splits your HD into a read/only partition, where it puts the system, and a read/write partition, where it puts your data. You didn't clean this up, so you still have two partitions.
Thanks for your reply. I worked it out last night and deleted the partition that Catalina had created. Everything is now good having reverted back to Mojave.
- - Post merged: - -

What did you dislike about Catalina?
See my post here for my main problem with Catalina. There were many others too (see the rest of that thread)

CoastalOR

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Yesterday I updated my MBP to Catalina and immediately disliked it. I decided to revert back to Mojave using Time Machine. After I had done this and restarted my computer I now appear to have two hard drives – see below.
The first time I did the Time Machine the restore file, so I did it again – which worked.

My question is... how do I fix this? Has Catalina caused this problem or was it the failed restore.
I have not tried to revert myself, but here is a quick Google search that might help:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+revert+from+macOS+Catalina+to+Mojave&oq=how+to+revert+from+macOS+Catalina+to+Mojave&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3714j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Nevermind :(:
It seems the OP worked it out and posted the outcome while I was getting the Google search.

Reactions: rediffusion

rediffusion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I have not tried to revert myself, but here is a quick Google search that might help:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+revert+from+macOS+Catalina+to+Mojave&oq=how+to+revert+from+macOS+Catalina+to+Mojave&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3714j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Nevermind :(:
It seems the OP worked it out and posted the outcome while I was getting the Google search.
I did but thanks for taking the time to find a solution! ;)

Reactions: CoastalOR