Two iPhones: one LTE, one 4G coverage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by solarkismet, Oct 6, 2013.

1. solarkismet macrumors newbie

My wife and I have two new iPhone 5S phones. I noticed yesterday that her phone shows three bars on AT&T LTE and mine three bars on AT&T 4G.

[​IMG]

Why would they be different? Is there a setting that I need to turn on? Does it matter one way or the other?

2. cnotes2019 Suspended

Did you check under settings to see if lte is enabled ? Try a network reset and if all else fails restore it as new iPhone to see if that fixes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

3. solarkismet thread starter macrumors newbie

LTE toggle

Yes, LTE is enabled for both phones.

4. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

Is your phone in a case? Sometimes big bulky cases will reduce signal strength. Also did you reset network settings? (note, that will erase saved wifi passwords)

5. solarkismet thread starter macrumors newbie

Same exact case, same phone, next to each other, in same house, etc. I reset network settings and it still indicates 4G.

Reset whole phone?

6. JakeT85, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

JakeT85 macrumors regular

JakeT85

Two iPhones: one LTE, one 4G coverage

If you toggle airplane mode, does the LTE signal pop up at all on the phone that is sitting on 4G before it drops down to 4g or is it going straight to 4g and staying there? I'm curious because mine finds LTE 2 bars and then switches to 3 bars 4g instead. In any case I've been reading a lot on the issue and there are three things that could be going on.

1 - The phone just has an install issue that can be fixed with a factory reset as new

2 - When the iphone was activated the AT&T script wasn't run to sync the new phones imei number to your account and adjust your plan and the network. This would be fixed by calling customer care and having tech support manually sync the imei to the network.

3 - Always a chance you could have a faulty antenna and need to swap the phone out for a new one.

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

When I got my 5, coming from a 4S, AT&T had to manually change my plan to an LTE plan.

8. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Awesome: perfect time to do a speed test.

Let us know if they come out the same/similar speed.

The LTE phone should be faster!

Do it! Do it! Do it!

----------

[​IMG]. This is my slow Azz Verizon on LTE!

----------

The first speed test was in my room, this one is next to a window in my room. I guess it makes a difference!

[​IMG]

9. solarkismet thread starter macrumors newbie

My wife's phone on LTE is faster than Comcast; and way faster than my 4G.

Attached Files:

10. solarkismet thread starter macrumors newbie

My 4G. I need to call AT&T.

Attached Files:

11. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

They need to verify that they have your iPhone 5s imei in the system so it adds a LTE data plan on. If not you will only pick up 4g

12. deraj090 macrumors regular

The same thing happened to me when I switched from a 4s to 5s -- the SIM wasn't provisioned for LTE networks. AT&T can fix this over the phone. Otherwise, swap the SIM for a fresh one, as this will automatically provision it for the LTE network.

13. solarkismet thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed

I just emailed AT&T and they fixed it quickly - it was an IMEI setting in their system. Thanks everyone!

14. Huracan macrumors 6502

Huracan

You beat me to it! ;) I was going to tell you something to this effect. Something similar happened to me last year when I was upgrading using a different phone line. In the end a trip to the AT&T store fixed it. I think it has to do with the data plan. I think they use different product codes for 4G and LTE.