Two MBPs and a need to back up both of them wirelessly. How to?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by reubs, Jun 29, 2010.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

My wife and I both have MacBook Pros, and each MBP houses our iPhoto library for the sake of redundancy. We also try to keep our videos on each for the sake of a double back-up, but that's where the similarities end. From there we both use our MBPs for individual things.

I need a way to back up both MBPs (preferably wirelessly), and I'm wondering if I can take an external HDD hooked up to an Airport Extreme; partition it for each MBP, and then point Time Machine to a given partition.

I don't know if the longevity of the Time Capsules have improved any, but I'm also willing to look into that if need be. Even still, though, can those be partitioned to be used with multiple computers backing up wirelessly?

Thanks for any info and help on this!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can do that, buy an external USB HDD, partition it for your two Macs, connect it to the AEBS and set each partition up for one Mac via Time Machine.

3. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

Time Capsule is definitely the answer, but yes, their reliability past 16-18 months has been suspect. No, you don't have to partition the drive, Time Machine takes care of backing up each machine separately.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's right, I forgot that TM is able to backup several Macs to one partition, as it creates one folder for each Mac.

5. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the responses. Conceivably I could simply take a large HDD, hook up it to an AEBS, point TM to it on both comps, and let 'em rip? I'd prefer to stay away from Time Capsule if possible, but it seems like from both of your responses my initial thought will work out.

Thanks again!

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I have an AEBS and when I connect a USB HDD to it I can use it as TM, so no need to get that Time Capsule.

7. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

I only suggested Time Capsule to satisfy the OP's wireless prerequisite. Any external HDD will work if HFS+ formatted.