Two men killed in Portland after trying to stop anti-Muslim tirade

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, May 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

These good people went out heroically, defending some Muslim women from a harassing attacker. Too bad they weren't armed themselves, so they would have had a good fighting chance against this monster. Unfortunately, the peoples republic of Oregon doesn't make that easy. Rest in peace, heroes.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-in-portland-after-trying-to-stop-anti-muslim

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you beat me too it saw this. though they have not found the guy they will have video.

3. jkcerda, May 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2017

jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Sad those who stood up to him got injured and one died :(

4. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Trump will commute his sentence to mandatory military service.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

both died. I got notifications of this but I did not know what happened.

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Stabbed it seems .

7. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

This is one of the heroic victims of this attack. A post by his mother.

[​IMG]

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The "People's Republic of Portland" of which I happen to be a citizen actually likes the way we are.

The burbs have a lot of gun nuts though so.

But hey. Every city has whackos..

Maybe one will come out of the woodworks in your "republic".

And BTW. He was shouting at anybody around him. Not just "Muslims".

The National news likes to make things more sensational.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

So true i mean why is every commuter not armed? It solves all crime. But if this was the south the guy insulting Muslims would have been praised.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hopefully, whoever did this will be caught soon. If he is convicted, he should get the death penalty or spend the rest of his life behind bars.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

12. mgguy, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017

mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Is there any information on what kind of physical actions were taken against this guy by those who intervened before the stabbings? If they attacked him physically (hitting, kicking, tackling, etc.), he may have felt (irrationally) that his life was in danger and attempted to defend himself. It's usually not a good idea to physically intervene against someone who is ranting crazy ramblings and hate speech unless they pose an immediate physical harm to others. I see this kind of insane ranting on public trains a lot, and the best response is either to move away slowly and notify the train driver or officer and let them deal with it. If you touch crazy people, you usually get crazy responses.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

He was threatening a woman wearing a hijab ( sp? ) and a couple guys came to her defense.
    He proceeded to stab them to death. He sliced a couple other people trying to help stop him.

I'm actually glad a guy with a gun didn't step in. A lot more innocent people would have been injured.

Tri-Met Rail always has a lot of people on the trains.

14. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Another alt-right nutter strikes. This one has a history.
    http://www.portlandmercury.com/blog...te-crime-murders-is-a-known-white-supremacist
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2017 ---
    We have our share of rabid dogs. They also get put down or stopped by armed people with some frequency. Two valuable people died protecting two Muslim girls from an alt right nutbag. Two bad some of those "gun nuts" weren't there to put him down like the animal he is. Two heroic men might still be alive.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

And 7 other people would have been shot.

I gather you're not familiar with how packed Tri-Met is.

16. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Did he pose a physical threat to the woman, or just said hateful words to her? What specific physical actions were taken by those who tried to defend her?

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Very tragic. It's quite a sad and ugly combination when mental illness and racism mix. It looks like this guy was anti-Muslim, anti-Semitic, anti-everything. I commend people for stepping in, but really the best things to do in these situations is to extricate yourself. Defending a race or religion from some nut job on the subway is not worth anyone's life. Pp

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The guy was yelling all kinds of weird stuff to everybody then he started to get down on the two women.

At that time the 2 guys came up to him to try to calm him down. It was at that point he pulled the knife and went berserk.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

20. darksithpro macrumors regular

Oh look, the liberals found their white supremacist. Tragic story I agree, but I see them politicizing this way more than it should be, just because it fits the narrative for once.

21. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The victims in this case were within an arms length. If a gun owner were within an arms length they could literally put the gun against the scumbag and squeeze off a round. I fear you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to firearms and gun owners proficiency. We'll leave it at that.

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Too early to say for certain ?

Good grief man I live 2 miles from that station. He's a known criminal/nutjob.

No ISIS here man. Wish all you want.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Do we really have to go back into all the threads from recent mass murders at provide the average time it takes for some of our right-wing MR users to point the finger at Muslims? My post was a reductio ad absurdum regarding what usually goes on here after mass murders that appear to be acts of terrorism (which this incident might very well have been)..

Anyway, the only good thing about this story is that two men (and it sounds like more as well) were courageous enough to intervene. It's gut-wrenching that they were murdered for it.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I fear you are clueless when it comes to Portland. Period. And I'll leave it at that.