Two momentous historical anniversaries: which was greater?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by decafjava, Nov 7, 2017.

?

Which event had greater consequences?

Poll closed Dec 7, 2017.
  1. The Protestant Reformation

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. The Russian Revolution

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

500 years ago (October 31) Martin Luther nailed the 95 theses on a church wall...launching the Reformation.

100 years ago Vladimir Lenin launched a coup in Petrograd (St. Petersburg) which initiated the Bolshevik revolution.

Not as much in the press, there was a youth celebration at the Geneva cathedral of St. Pierre (where Calvin preached) , in Russia there won't be any official events just I imagine informal ones by communist party members.

So which event had a more significant impact on world history - please also tell me why?

I hope that there won't be posts like "commies suck" or "I'm an atheist" etc.

I welcome critiques of communism or religion but intelligent ones.

I won't give my opinion right away ... except both had a huge impact...

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Calculate the death toll, and you got your answer.

And no I don't know which one would "win".

3. decafjava thread starter macrumors 68040

decafjava

Interesting but I am not looking to see which one "won" ... lasting impact went beyond violence and besides both had a big death toll (Thirty years war vs. Russian Civil war).

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The relevance of the former is declining, but the relevance of the latter might well be climbing.

5. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Those would just be the tips of the icebergs.....

6. Scepticalscribe, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I think both events were of enormous importance, historically, philosophically, economically, socially, politically, and culturally, and were utterly transformative of the worlds in which they happened.

7. decafjava thread starter macrumors 68040

decafjava

I agree maybe I should have worded it as which has more relevance today.

8. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I think that they were both utterly transformational - of their world - when they each happened - and to reduce them to a sort of binary comparison is unfair to both.

I used to teach Renaissance and Reformation history, and indeed, on of my own academic specialities was the history of communism, in Russia, central & eastern Europe, and the Soviet Union. These are topics - both of them - on which I could write (and did teach) a lot.

Nevertheless, given the US centric nature of the forum, I am not entirely sure that it may be possible to debate this with the degree of balance and fairness the topic deserves.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well give it a try......it would be enjoyable to have a thread about something other than the usual "Trump sux! Trump rulz!"