TWO new Supreme Court justices appointed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by profmatt, Oct 1, 2018.

1. profmatt macrumors 68000

profmatt

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

There are many things you manage to do better there. I'd take your system in a minute.

I also want your system of campaigning. Campaign "season" here lasts far too long.

3. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

1776, ring a bell?

We don't care how you do things in Europe.:p

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

1777. The French bail us out of losing to the British. Lafayette ring a bell?

BL.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

No? Where is it then?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

In its own little world.

8. cube macrumors P6

Not when spending rules are violated, and the wheel keeps turning as if nothing happened.

9. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

That's nice. I'll stick with being American, protected by the Constitution. Oh, BTW... Why are they all white men and women? No diversity for UK justices?

10. chown33 macrumors 604

I'm mildly surprised you didn't go with "UKistan", or "In a green and pleasant land", or even "Airstrip One".

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Britain is entirely on the grounds of Hogwarts.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Baby steps. Give us a month of campaigning first and we'll work on the rest.

Depending on how the Constitution is interpreted on any given day.

14. ActionableMango, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018

ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I'm not familiar with how UK Supreme Court Judges are appointed, so I had to look it up. It sounds like new judges are chosen by the existing court members and other senior judges.

The first problem I see with that is it could lead to nepotism. In fact that seems to be true since just from this one article alone, I see that two of the Supreme Court Judges are spouses, and two have been friends for a long time. There may be even more connections not illuminated by this short article.

The second problem, which is just theoretical, is that this system could also entrench a point of view for a long time. For example if the court was made up of "pro-whatever", then they would have influence to keep "anti-whatever" judges out. In the US system there is opportunity to change the court drastically with every appointment.

I'm not trying to say our system is better and yours is worse. In fact I don't think that at all--our system in the US has turned into a complete and utter political circus. I'm just pointing out some issues from a layman's point of view. No system is perfect.

15. darksithpro, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018

darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Funny how they say the Monarchy is mostly symbolic, then you find out the Queen gets to pick the justices, then vetted by a Lord Chancellor. You get a bunch of liberals who want to amend the Constitution, because "we're not in the 18th century anymore" and we should look up to and adopt law and policies of our EURO friends. Yea, lets go back to Kings and Queens, with blood lines to control our government.:rolleyes:

16. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well we seem to be skipping straight out to Emperor Don with a sidekick on the supreme court to make dicey EOs stick in future ruilngs. It's like an out of body experience, watching a country's brakes fail...

17. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Yea, that is/was the to combination to my luggage!

Thanks a lot now I have to change it!!!

18. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

1234, got you again.:p

19. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

You do realize that looking at "EURO friends" means looking at some 30+ countries/options?

When to look for a new constitution, the UK is the dead last place to look.

20. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I like the french but bailing us out wasn't exactly purely altruistic on their part. They didn't like the Brits anymore than we did so they basically helped us fight them without getting their hands too dirty.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Never said it wasn't; it's basically that we found our enemy's enemy. But it would be revisionist to think or believe that we alone just defeated the British when we were getting our heads handed to us, let alone duplicitous to say that just to fit one's narrative. If it weren't for the French, we wouldn't have won that war.

BL.

22. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Just think, if it wasn't for the french we would have all those sensible British guns laws here.

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Uh.. fast forward.... well some French didn't mind getting their hands dirty in 1968 but it was about adjusting their own rule. We were on our own in USA street protests about the war in Vietnam at that point, but over there... there were a lot of things some of the French thought it was time to change up, even if they had to put a few bricks through some windows to get down to brass tacks. I guess their message was in part that there's such a thing as talking over cake and coffee too long. One would hope that here and now in the USA, a trip to the ballot box next month will suffice to put the current government on notice.

Poster France 1968 - la beauté est dans la rue.jpg