Two numbers in same phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tekno, Jul 16, 2012.

1. tekno macrumors 6502a

I'm with o2 UK and am thinking about buying a cool phone number, but am worried about people ringing my old number and not being able to get through.

Is having two numbers on one phone possible? Anyone have any experience of this?

2. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so, could you just set up a call forwarding from your old number to your new?

3. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

The only way to have two numbers in the same phone is when a phone offers 2 slots for 2 sim cards.

These types of phones tend to be un-branded China phones that business people use. I don't know any mainstream/popular phone in North America that has dual sim slot phones.

Alternatively, you could dual-wield 2 phones. Or you could swap sim cards but that would be a hassle.

4. tekno thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is a good idea. I guess I could transfer my old number to a pay as you go SIM and set-up call forwarding, then just never put the SIM into a phone.

Good idea, thanks.

Now I just need to find out if O2 will be up for me swapping numbers around. Carriers are never very helpful in this area...

5. ckc macrumors regular

You need to be aware that you will be charged for all calls forwarded from your PAYG sim to your new number at whatever your standard call rate from the sim is.

So you will need to make sure that the sim is kept topped up to meet those charges.

6. tekno thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another good point.

7. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Why don't you just get the cool number anyway and let everyone know about it through text messages or an email announcement? In the meantime you can have your calls forwarded to the new number and leave an answering machine message on the old number with the new number if they can't reach you in time.

8. Twixt macrumors 6502

Just manage to have dual SIM system installed, there are many suppliers on the internet

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Or you could just get a Google Voice number and have no problems having 2 numbers on one phone that way.