Two rivals can match iPod mini for tunes

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
So... he has less than 5GB of music... Sure, you can walk through a small amount of music easily on a small player. Try to surf through 6GB of audio without a clickwheel. Anyway, this article seems to be a little old.

muire

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2004
Timelessblur said:
Over all I find the review to be a very fair review.
I dunno. I guess I have a hard time judging a review to be "fair" when clearly the author didn't take the extra five minutes to research the current price/size/etc. of each player. Granted, the model she received for review was probably the older version, but a simple "the newer iPod minis come in two different sizes, 4GB and 6GB, priced at $199 and $249 respectively" would help.

Not flaming, just annoyed.

Ok. I'm flaming. :eek:

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
muire said:
I dunno. I guess I have a hard time judging a review to be "fair" when clearly the author didn't take the extra five minutes to research the current price/size/etc. of each player. Granted, the model she received for review was probably the older version, but a simple "the newer iPod minis come in two different sizes, 4GB and 6GB, priced at $199 and $249 respectively" would help.

Not flaming, just annoyed.

Ok. I'm flaming. :eek:

well at the same time all the others are 180-200 bucks for the Rio now.
The Zen is 250 with 6 gig so it still an over all fair review. So the research and prouble a lot of the write up for the artical was done before the new annocements. Chances are it was the editor just final got it out and an editor screwed up. the Author prouble writen it before the change and he did all of his reasearch before the new anocements

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Timelessblur said:
Over all I find the review to be a very fair review.
I do too. All of his points are valid, and I agree with them on the whole. Yet it doesn't seem he's experienced the Apple Factor.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
jimsowden said:
I do too. All of his points are valid, and I agree with them on the whole. Yet it doesn't seem he's experienced the Apple Factor.
Well, maybe the author doesn't really appreciate iTunes as much as we do. In any case, when I saw a mention about "Windows Media Player 10" and "Plays for Sure", I kinda felt sick. ;)

Both iTunes and my iPod "plays for sure" too. Except Microsoft's own "plays for sure" crap. :rolleyes:

Calling their stuff "Plays for sure" when it doesn't even work on 60%+ of the portable players out there is like Apple doing a marketing campaign about "Superior Mac Gaming" or something.

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
Poor Linda! Not only does she get some of her information wrong, but to top it off, everyone keeps referring to her as a "he".

C'mon guys, this is the 21st century. Women do write tech articles too. When they're not in the kitchen or doing découpage.

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
jimsowden said:
I thought it was a fair review, a little out of touch (with latest developments) and surprisingly I find I can agree with Timelessblur on this ;)

I thought Linda Knapp was a she, but maybe I've missed something :)

loneAzdgari

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2003
UK, KENT
I really don't consider this a "review". Most reviewers take the time to compare features and costs and abilities. This review just picked a few common features like sound quality (subjective) usability (naturally the iPod should win this) and screen size.

Usually in a review there is a winner, rather than a weak outcome of "they're about the same anyway" or "they do the same thing so who gives a damn".

It's this kind of half-assed journalism that really pisses me off. The writer can't be bothered to do a decent opinion piece on the state of the iPod mini vs current players. So she decided to do a weak opinion/review type thing that sucks in both senses.

Crap review because of the lack of set out features and the fact that she couldn't be bothered to mention the refresh in the product line.

Crap opinion piece because she used 3 superficial and subjective qualities and then didn't even express that strong an opinion about them.

pfft.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
I stopped reading when I reached "the Micro reportedly can hold 2,500 songs stored in Windows Media Audio format at 64 kilobits per second. "

who likes 64kbps tracks? n00bs and thats it

kerb

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Lancashire UK
SilvorX said:
I stopped reading when I reached "the Micro reportedly can hold 2,500 songs stored in Windows Media Audio format at 64 kilobits per second. "
me too

also she's obviously no audiophile when her entire music library fits into a 5gb player at 128 or 196k.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
polyesterlester said:
C'mon guys, this is the 21st century. Women do write tech articles too. When they're not in the kitchen or doing découpage.
You serious? :eek: Since when? Which country?
Next you'll probably tell me that women have been given the right to vote :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
polyesterlester said:
I always find time for MR forums after taking off my apron and baking cookies.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
SilvorX said:
That's probably the reason you missed this part....

"However, saving music at 128 to 196 Kbps provides better-quality sound, and the player still can hold more songs than are in my entire digital music library."

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
Blue Velvet said:
I always find time for MR forums after taking off my apron and baking cookies.
;) And I'm glad, too.

Lest anyone think I was being inconsiderate and chauvinistic with my last comment, I want everyone to know it was a joke. I'm a borderline feminist myself, and I'm a guy! I not only think women should have equal rights to men, I think they should have more rights. Us men are dirty, violent pigs who should be locked up in cages and only let out when the women want to use us. And maybe our voting privileges should be revoked for a while, too. That'll teach us for leaving our socks all over the place and the kitchen cabinets open and for not cleaning up the chocolate dribble left behind from making s'mores in the microwave.

But yeah, that article sucked. But I can't take it out on the journalist because she looks so damn friendly and lovable in that b&w picture.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
loneAzdgari said:
I really don't consider this a "review". Most reviewers take the time to compare features and costs and abilities. This review just picked a few common features like sound quality (subjective) usability (naturally the iPod should win this) and screen size.

Usually in a review there is a winner, rather than a weak outcome of "they're about the same anyway" or "they do the same thing so who gives a damn".

It's this kind of half-assed journalism that really pisses me off. The writer can't be bothered to do a decent opinion piece on the state of the iPod mini vs current players. So she decided to do a weak opinion/review type thing that sucks in both senses.

Crap review because of the lack of set out features and the fact that she couldn't be bothered to mention the refresh in the product line.

Crap opinion piece because she used 3 superficial and subjective qualities and then didn't even express that strong an opinion about them.

pfft.
Why does a review need a winner? I think the review evaluates the points that are important to most users. The recommendation is also good, all three players have similar specifications for the average user so you have to hold each of them and pick for yourself.

I find that some journalism manages to piss me off and that is the kind of journalism that always has to make a sensation of something, voice a strong opinion this way or that ... and the most annoying thing of all is american documentaries (as opposed to british, for example) that always try to make it so that the researchers/divers/archeologists/park rangers/bird photographers are in grave danger and are risking their life doing whatever they are doing.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
loneAzdgari said:

pfft.

Putting a strong opinan about any of them would of made me think the artical is crap.
It balanced. It left out the ipod for a of it because lets face it everyone knows about the ipod and she stated what it diffences was and what made it better.

How would everyone of reacted if she stated that the Rio or the Zen where so much better than the ipod. Oh yeah it would of gone FLAME she is wrong.

You just want to say the the ipod is the best. Face the fact that some people dont like the ipod and the other players offer things the ipods does not.

JereIC

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2001
I thought it was a fair review too, although she let the Zen off a little easy for not working out of the box. Three hours of trying to get it to work is three hours you could have spent enjoying an iPod (or, yeah, the Carbon). Good to hear that they've been kind enough to fix those problems with the boxes on the street.

I feel a little bit giddy that the other players are catching up now. I hope this kind of competition will spur Apple to come out with something really awesome in the next iPod Minis.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
JereIC said:
I thought it was a fair review too, although she let the Zen off a little easy for not working out of the box. Three hours of trying to get it to work is three hours you could have spent enjoying an iPod (or, yeah, the Carbon). Good to hear that they've been kind enough to fix those problems with the boxes on the street.

I feel a little bit giddy that the other players are catching up now. I hope this kind of competition will spur Apple to come out with something really awesome in the next iPod Minis.

Personly I would like an FM player add to the minis and the ipods

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
I'd like a built in mic, not an add on, just for occasional voice notes.

nubero

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Zurich
gekko513 said:
Why does a review need a winner? I think the review evaluates the points that are important to most users. The recommendation is also good, all three players have similar specifications for the average user so you have to hold each of them and pick for yourself.

I find that some journalism manages to piss me off and that is the kind of journalism that always has to make a sensation of something, voice a strong opinion this way or that ... and the most annoying thing of all is american documentaries (as opposed to british, for example) that always try to make it so that the researchers/divers/archeologists/park rangers/bird photographers are in grave danger and are risking their life doing whatever they are doing.
Your part about the documentaries is so right.
Sorry for being off topic