iPhone XS Max Two scenarios (XR and XSM) and a choice to make

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Smartwatchlover, Oct 6, 2018.

  1. Smartwatchlover macrumors member


    Sep 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Hello everyone,

    in my family we need to change at least one of our iPhone and I still struggle to find the best option for us.

    Our current situation is the following:
    • I have an iPhone 7 Plus (128GB, 2 years old, current battery capacity at 82%) that works perfectly
    • My wife has an old iPhone 6 Plus (16GB, 4 years old, random shut downs, speaker problem, memory largely insufficient...)
    My original idea was to buy an Xs Max for me (I'm a pretty good photographer and I'm attracted by the new camera features) and to give my iPhone 7 Plus to my wife (that would be happy to pass from 16GB to 128GB and have a phone that works).

    This until I read here a significant number of complaints around the Xs Max, with the most worrying one being the LTE and wifi connectivity.

    While we are all awaiting the next iOS release to understand what will be fixed and what it won't, today I have started evaluating a new scenario:
    • I will keep the iPhone 7 Plus for another year (with the hope that Apple will introduce the 3 lens camera next year, similarly to the P20 this year)
    • I will buy an XR (64GB) for my wife (assuming no connectivity issues will be discovered)
    Both scenarios are interesting and show PROs and CONs... what would be your choice and why?
  2. akash.nu macrumors 604


    May 26, 2016
    I would go with the first scenario. You see only one side of the coin here with people posting about problems. The vast majority actually don’t have problems and that’s why they don’t care to post anywhere.
  3. Jordan921 macrumors 601


    Jul 7, 2010
    Bay Area
  4. Philthy84 macrumors regular

    Jun 23, 2010
    I say get the Max and swap the battery on the 7 Plus while Apple is still offering the lower price for battery replacement.
  5. timeconsumer macrumors 68000


    Aug 1, 2008
    Regardless of what you decide, it seems like in both scenarios you'll be keeping the iPhone 7 Plus. Make sure you take advantage of the cheaper battery replacement before the end of the year.
  6. stafil, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018

    stafil macrumors 6502

    Sep 15, 2017
    If your eyes can handle the OLED and your pocket can handle the price I would say go with the Max. No reason not too. Reception in ace will be the same as in Xs.
  7. sjperformance macrumors 6502


    Oct 7, 2013
    Miami 305
    Go with the Max. I upgraded from X to Max and even the Max feels like an upgrade. I started using my Max 1 day before release day and no issues what so ever. Keep in mind something...what percentage on here do we represent from actual iPhone users around the world? What about those all over the world who are currently using a XS/XS Max. Don’t make your decisions based on what some are experiencing here. There’s many of us on here with no issues with XS/XS Max. Just something to keep in mind.
  8. JCCL macrumors 6502a

    Apr 3, 2010
    Yeah I have a Max. Zero LTE and WiFi issues. Go with it is the best iPhone you can get.
  9. ckspeed1968 macrumors newbie

    Oct 6, 2018
    New here. Just register.

    Have the XS Max since 9/21, infact the whole family, 3 of us, will have the Max. The only issue I have right now is the phone not charging using the small adapter while in sleep mode. Otherwise it’s great.
  10. akash.nu macrumors 604


    May 26, 2016
    That issue seems to have been fixed in iOS 12.1 so update when the next iOS version releases.
  11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Jul 12, 2016
    OP, try not to read into every single problem that you hear and read about with the iPhone Max. It doesn’t necessarily affect everyone widespread, it’s intermittent and there are plenty of members who have _not_ had any issues at all with their iPhone XS Max. Even if you do, you still have a warranty, which Apple will easily acknowledge and replace.

    I also suggest the XS Max, and you have 14 days for a trial if it’s not in your liking.
  12. aneftp macrumors 601

    Jul 28, 2007
    Other option is try to pick up iPhone 8 Plus on Facebook market place or similar. I literally just got 10/10 condition. iPhone 8 Plus 64gb with 5 months of warranty left for $400.

    Sell the iPhone 7 Plus 128gb. Honestly. Depends much u want to haggle. But just trade it into Apple store for $285 instant credit and pick up iPhone XS max. Maybe u get lucky and get $350 for it. It’s really not worth the trouble.

    There is a lot of value getting used iPhone 8 Plus on the resell market. The A11 processor is a beast. The iPhone 8 Plus is equivalent to an S cycle upgrade. Cause the A12 processor is only 15% faster.
  13. Smartwatchlover thread starter macrumors member


    Sep 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

    At the end of the story I ended up with the second scenario as the Xs Max was not really convincing me on one side and on the other side my 7 Plus still works perfectly.

    Yesterday I bought the Xr 128GB for my wife and she is really happy with that (and honesty the phone looks great).

    I will wait next year to change mine and I really hope that in the meanwhile Apple will introduce a 3 lenses camera that would be a real plus for me (pictures addicted).

    I will follow also your suggestion to take advantage of the battery replacement campaign and I will book an appointment at my local Apple store to replace mine on the 7 Plus.

    Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.
  14. mlody macrumors 6502a

    Nov 11, 2012
    Windy City
    Good move!

Share This Page

13 October 6, 2018