Two US servicemen captured in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by awmazz, Jul 24, 2010.

1. awmazz macrumors 65816

What exacly does this mean?

Primarily, why is a govt spokesman the one giving the details, and why do two soldiers 'set out on their own despite warnings'? Doesn't sound like an official mission does it?

This happened near Kabul so it's not out in the wilderness middle of nowhere. And 'Taleban-held area' so close to the capital city doesn't indicate things are going well anyway.

Edit - BBC story link

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It means the government is trying to shore up anti-Taliban sentiment in order to gain more support for the war. Won;t work, though.

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    No comment on the details, you may or may not get fed a scrap of truth.

But it must be terrifying to be taken hostage like this. They could be in any state right now just waiting to die or worse. Wouldn't wish that on anyone..

4. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I feel bad for them for being captured on one hand on the other I doubt it was a suggestion that they not go into these occupied territories (that doesn't seem like the proper military way of doing things), any smart soldier would likely follow orders and NOT put themselves in harms way unless ordered to do so given a reasonable tactical plan involved either these guys were stupid, looking to turn, or were otherwise looking for some sort of opportunity despite the risk. However if they were ordered to go and that hasn't gotten out (classified in other words) I don't think we have the whole story on this one.

There are hundreds of possible scenarios that could be happening at this very moment--it could even be an intelligence gathering operation and nothing may actually have gone wrong.

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Murdered? It sounds like a casualty of war rather than a murder. At least from what info is available now.

Let's hope the captured soldier is being treated according to international standards.

7. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/world/asia/26afghan.html

They were two American sailors specifically, so chances are this is not just some issue of wandering off and getting caught if they were in country likely they had a special assignment to complete.

The idea that sailors would be that far in land probably wouldn't make much sense to most people otherwise I am fairly certain there is some sort of classified mission involved it is not likely they'd go off the base like that without some sort of authorization.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Considering that it's the Taliban holding them, I doubt it.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its not as if the US has treated all their captives according to international standards...

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Two wrongs don't make a right...

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- but they do make a truth. Sad.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True, but you can't expect someone to treat you well if you wouldn't treat them well.

13. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I don't understand the hype around this. Two people are captured. Terrible? absolutely. But over five thousand Americans have died over there. That's a national tragedy.

I really don't think people understand. The whole point of the middle east campaign was to prevent terrorism, supposedly in response to 9/11. I personally don't think it was worth it. Let's say we never went into Iraq or Afghanistan. Would there have been another attack on American soil? Maybe, but to even break even on the casualties from Iraq/Afghanistan we would have had to have let two more attacks on the scale of 9/11 happen.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Mistreating prisoners is wrong no matter who does it. I protested loudly when my government did it, and I will do so now if it happens in this situation.

First, only one is said to have been captured. The other is said to have been killed in a firefight.

Second, the reason this is "hyped" is because there is still a possibility of helping the captured soldier. You can't do much to help the dead. Thus the sense of urgency and importance surrounding the capture.

Also, you appear to be conflating Iraq and Afghanistan when you claim that 5000 have been killed "over there".

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

That's going to make some very interesting reading. I thought the US govt. were trying to put a plug on the wiki leaks material..

17. awmazz thread starter macrumors 65816

90,000 is a lot of top-secret records. Even reading through them at 50 a day would take 5 years...

And they're only the ones that were leaked from one source. Assume 100x or 1000x or even 10,000x as many. How much of it is actually legitimate military 'top-secret' and not just political or suppressing bad PR to save their own jobs or budgets etc like civilian casualty figures etc which should be open to oversight.

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

I think that's why they've had to pull together the resources of 4 groups to handle it. It was just too big for any one publication..

It's interesting listening to the wikileaks founder on interview atm. He's talking about the Kill or Capture list and how people get on it.Basically a recommendation gets handed down from say a government official or intelligence officer and they're on the list. No review. Just kill that person or capture them. More information he's saying is how to read the data. US military have been reporting civilian deaths as 'insurgent deaths', whereas when they report on other military deaths by say an ally like the Brits, they will report civilian deaths as civilian deaths. And when it's the Taliban, they really make sure you get the full brunt of the dirt.

All this can be discovered by cross comparing the data. It's really going to be illuminating stuff over the next couple of months.