Two years of free tuition at California community colleges

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
http://www.foxla.com/news/two-years-of-free-tuition-at-california-community-colleges?fbclid=IwAR2N0hpHRjty741ay_U8os8mqqj9mQnE_FBxfa1grHLXJBEnfquBtWkxLHo
California's new budget will cover two free years of community college for first-time, full-time students, Governor Newsom announced Monday.

Newsom's budget for the 2019-2020 fiscal year allocates $42 million in additional funding to assist an estimated 33,000 eligible students, KCRA reports.
In order to qualify for free tuition, graduating seniors from California high schools need to be accepted into any of the states 115 community colleges
I hope CC's DON'T raise their fees, I don't like the fact you need to be a senior in HS to qualify , program should be open to all including those who wish to go back and finish their education if they started and had to let go.

pshufd

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
http://www.foxla.com/news/two-years-of-free-tuition-at-california-community-colleges?fbclid=IwAR2N0hpHRjty741ay_U8os8mqqj9mQnE_FBxfa1grHLXJBEnfquBtWkxLHo

I hope CC's DON'T raise their fees, I don't like the fact you need to be a senior in HS to qualify , program should be open to all including those who wish to go back and finish their education if they started and had to let go.
2 years of CC in California are already free.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/american-opportunity-tax-credit-questions-and-answers

Q4. How much is the American opportunity tax credit worth?
A. It is a tax credit of up to $2,500 of the cost of tuition, fees and course materials paid during the taxable year. Also, 40% of the credit (up to $1,000) is refundable. This means you can get it even if you owe no tax.

So California is paying for it instead of the US Treasury. The last time I look, California CCs charged about $32/credit hour (a long time ago). So they haven't really raised tuition that much. My guess is that the actual cost is far higher than the tuition charge.

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
I'm all for bringing the out of pocket cost of higher education down to zero, but there also needs to be accountability like maintaining a set CPA, choosing a major that is considered job marketable subject to be reviewed and updated periodically, and if you drop out - guess what - you need to pay back what the government invested to that point.

My concern isn't so much the cost, but that if we make it a free-for-all with no accountability then employers are going to start demanding you have a masters degree (which you'll have to pay for) if you want to be anything more than a cashier. At that point all we really did was extend high school a few more years on our dime.

Reactions: pl1984

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm all for bringing the out of pocket cost of higher education down to zero, but there also needs to be accountability like maintaining a set CPA, choosing a major that is considered job marketable subject to be reviewed and updated periodically, and if you drop out - guess what - you need to pay back what the government invested to that point.

My concern isn't so much the cost, but that if we make it a free-for-all with no accountability then employers are going to start demanding you have a masters degree (which you'll have to pay for) if you want to be anything more than a cashier. At that point all we really did was extend high school a few more years on our dime.
That’s only the case if we still foolishly insist *the point* of education is to make a pipeline for employers rather than a well educated population.

Education is a virtue in itself, something that should exist outside the frame of economics.

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
That’s only the case if we still foolishly insist *the point* of education is to make a pipeline for employers rather than a well educated population.

Education is a virtue in itself, something that should exist outside the frame of economics.
I don't disagree with you in spirit, but I think the public is going to want a return on their investment, meaning an employed tax payer. And to be honest I don't think I've heard even the most left of lefties talk about education as more than a means to get gainful employment, or at least as far as expecting the public to pay for it.

I've seen news stories on some other countries willing to invest in more artsey education, or shall we call it an actual pursuit of happiness? But their government also isn't heavily invested in making sure they have enough ammunition to blow up the entire solar system should the solar system disagree with their economic model.

Reactions: jkcerda