TYPING FROM THE FUTURE: Intel vs PPC v.1 "Spinning Beachball of Death"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lPHONE, Nov 30, 2009.

1. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like the PPC Macs better than the Intel.
    Sure, the Intels are faster, but only because they're newer and they're not making new PPC's.

Spinning Beachball is a reality on all Macs. The one thing I liked on PPC was the ability to type, click and execute commands from teh future. Those of you who watched a Get a Mac and bought a new pretty little MacBook have no idea about this phenomena. To put it simply, you can't do anything while the beachball is spinning... That is, on an Intel Mac.

On a PPC, if it locks up while your typing, it's cool, just keep typing. After the beachball stops spinning your letters will catch up to you. This is just the beginning. Knowing how to manipulate this power takes a little time, but when you got it down you can multi-task like a God. You save the documents, open a new apps, and search the internet all while the ball is spinning!

On intel Mac, it feels like the ball is not in my court. The system will lock up when Final Cut is rendering frames and I will bust an +S and when it finally comes back, it does none of the commands I told it to do while the ball was spinning. It's like, my Intel Mac is a stoner and he got real high and forgot what he was doing. (woah, I know kung-fu) My PPC is like my dad. He's a little slower, but he'll always get you in the end.

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

hm, on the rare occasions I do get beachballs any inputs, such as if I'm typing in iChat or Pages it will type whatever was typed during the beachball.
    or if it beachballs while in an app and I switch to different "Spaces" it goes that space accordingly after the beachballing.

i guess it depends on the occurrence of the beachball, the app and overall whats going on with the system.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

denial is not just a river in egypt.

Sounds like you're doing some impressive convoluted justifications on how your PPC mac is better then an intel Mac. While your PPC mac is fitting your needs, make no mistake that intel Macs are the future, run faster and don't suffer from the spinning beach ball to the extent that PPC macs do.

The spinning beachball occurs when the OS stopped receiving messages from a program. Some times that means the program crashed, but often it means its processing something. You can still use the system, input data when you get a spinning beach ball, just not interacting with the offending program.

So you like your PPC mac, that's great but don't try to explain how much superior it is over an intel Mac because you'll lose that debate on every angle.

4. lPHONE thread starter macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

I never used the word better.
    I would LIKE to have the best of both worlds, which is one: The speed of the Intels without the side effects.

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I don't miss PPC at all. Those processors sucked. Everytime I have to do a session on a machine running Logic on a G5 I cringe. Through some distortion of nature those desktops still go for $800 when my damn phone could run a recording session smoother.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the PPC was a good platform for a while but it quickly fell behind intel. Moto/IBM just didn't put as much R&D into developing a true competitor. The G5 was IBM's last ditch effort but it consumed too much power and ran too hot to ever make it into apple's laptops. That pretty much sealed its fate.

7. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

i like your style man. :cool:

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

intersting topic.

one thing to note, is whether apple deliberately stops input from the beach-balling on intel macs. guess we will never know!

9. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

They stopped working on PPC processors because they were unable to get the expected power from them. Intel processors are way better, really. Even if I did like too the singularity of the PowerPCs...

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it was more because IBM/Motorola (whoever they were) went upgrading as fast as Intel was. the G6 was going to be a prety impressive processor.

11. lPHONE thread starter macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

From what I heard, PPC's predecessor is a big hit with the U.S. Department of Energy.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/PS3-Roadrunner-supercomputer,5688.html

12. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu