Tyson's Corner (VA) iPhone 6s/6s Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by Clix Pix, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    So, who all is planning to hang out at the Tyson's mall?

Last year some of us were lucky enough to be able to spend the entire night "camping out" in the mall itself; I think it was the first 150 of us or so. This year, things may be different since they now have those security gates at the garage entrances and they may not permit people to leave their cars in the garage all night. ?? It really would be nice if we knew for sure what to expect and what we can or cannot do this year.

2. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

What? No one else is planning to line up at Tyson's??? Aw, c'mon, I know you're out there......

3. Bootleg Gucci macrumors regular

Bootleg Gucci

Nice to see you back again for another year of action. Last year's 6/6+ launch, our group of 3 arrived around 9:45pm and were about #100 in line, and the indoor waiting was a nice touch compared to the previous year for 5S. Apple Tysons had plenty of inventory for us to get our choices of 6+. As much fun as it was, this time around, I just made reservations for pickup and one for delivery on 9/25. Looking forward to your camping updates. Good hunting!

4. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Hi! Last year we arrived at Tysons around 8:00 or so and were among the first 50-ish in line, and were able to make ourselves comfy for the night in the mall. Wasn't that a neat experience? Really rather surreal, actually..... I remember wandering off to the restroom at about 3:00 AM or so. It was spooky being in that normally busy, crowded mall when all was silent. It is going to be interesting to see what happens this year, if they again allow indoor waiting/"camping out" through the night. I hope so!

I didn't bother to make an attempt to preorder, and then it wasn't until a day or so after that when I realized that pickup in store was being offered again this year...but I was confused as to whether someone doing that had to also be signing up for the new Apple purchase plan, so again let things slide..... by the time I decided to check to see if preorder and in-store pickup for the model I want was actually available, of course it wasn't on the 25th, at which point I gave up, since I was getting ready to go out of town for a few days. Figured the waiting-in-line at the store would be my best option all the way around. We'll see what happens in a few days!

5. CongressDJ macrumors member

I'm looking forward to this. I went to Fair Oaks last year, was one of the first 150 in line, but it ended up being a bust because of the many paid "poachers" and line-sitters that ended up buying 6 phones each. Has anyone called Tyson's mall security to get the scoop for this year?

6. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

The friend with whom I'll be going to Tysons on Thursday evening is planning to stop by the mall some time either today or tomorrow and make some inquiries at the Mall Security Office.

I'm thinking that this year, because now there are so many other countries which will have iPhones available on the 25th, that maybe there will be significantly fewer, if any, scalpers and line-sitters. Last year, I recall that quite a few of those who were in line with us, among the first 60 or so, yes, were scalpers and line-sitters. One guy even came around trying to get us to buy phones and turn them over to him instead of keeping them for ourselves, blithely assuring us that we could always come back and get phones for ourselves the next day. Yeah, sure.......... Nobody bit on that!

7. Bootleg Gucci macrumors regular

Bootleg Gucci

Haha, last year I recall a good amount of "restaurant worker" type line-sitters at Tysons, and a few Asian guys collecting iPhones from these workers after they were directed to buy what. And there's that Youtube documentary of old ladies being paid to line sit in NYC by triad type guys who funnel the iPhones to China. I think it's no coincidence that Apple decided to curb it this year by making the 6S/+ launch simultaneous in China and other places to avoid the reselling of US iPhones in Asia.

8. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

That should make a big difference this year -- at least I'm hoping so!

I'm wondering if there will be a lot of federal and private industry employees who are taking annual leave due to traffic conditions down in DC related to the Pope's Visit, who might decide to hang out in line and grab a new iPhone?

9. shadowx055 macrumors newbie

I thought with the simultaneous launch in China it would deter scalpers here in the states but I just read this article http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/21/no-walk-in-iphone-6s-sales-scalpers/

10. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Per the article: "The four U.S. states with Apple retail stores that are affected by this policy include Oregon, Delaware, New Hampshire, and Alaska. Montana is the fifth U.S. state without a statewide sales tax, but Apple does not have any retail stores located in the state. " So, yeah, anyone planning to go to Delaware or any of the other tax-free states as a walk-in and a line-up, as mentioned in the article will really be out of luck. So, yeah, there will still be some possibility of scalpers, etc., hanging out in line at some US Apple stores and other retail locations, but my guess is that there will not be anywhere near the issues that have been experienced in the past because, yes, the Chinese market is now going to experience new iPhones on Launch Day, unlike in the past. However.....if I recall correctly, the guy last year who was so eager to have us buy phones for him was planning to ship them to Vietnam.....

11. shadowx055 macrumors newbie

All in all its basically all the southern Asian countries, my friends uncle is chinese and he's already trying to ask his nephew and his friends to buy as much phones as possible for him. I do think that california new york and texas will have the most scalpers though due to the asian population in those areas.

12. empcesar macrumors newbie

So is it pointless for me to show up around 5-6 am? I have one reserved for 8AM but I want to pick up another one.

13. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

No idea of what time would be best to show up.....your guess is as good as mine! LOL! It seems as though each year has been different in one way or another! Since you already have at least one iPhone already reserved, you're well ahead of the game. I'm still kicking myself that I wasn't paying enough attention back in the beginning when preorders started to realize that this time there would once again be in-store pickups. Also, I got kind of confused about the new Apple plan and whether or not someone making a reservation could only do so if they were planning to go for that.....

That is not good news about the Chinese guy asking his nephew and others to buy as many phones as they can for him...... Sigh. I was really hoping that with the availability of iPhones in China on Launch Day this time that the number of scalpers in the US would be significantly reduced. Clearly, Apple is trying to correct this whole scalpers problem but the solution is not quite there yet.....? Even if there are restrictions of only two iPhones to a customer that won't prevent people from going through the line, purchasing two iPhones, immediately handing them over to someone else, then getting right back in line. We can only hope that in the meantime the people who are in line who genuinely just want one or two phones for themselves and their own family members here in the US have a chance at actually getting an iPhone or two!

14. CongressDJ macrumors member

OK, just called Tyson's Corner Center Mall Security. Basically, they have no clue about tonight. Here's about how the conversation went:

Me: Hi! Do you have a policy in effect for the expected Apple Store lines tonight? Will folks be allowed to campout, or will the line be managed outside?

Security: I'm not sure. People aren't allowed to camp-out in the mall.

Me: So, this is a change from last year's policy, then?

Security: I'm not sure. I mean, you'll probably have to call Apple.

Me: Well, security is in charge of entrance to the mall after hours, correct? How will you be dealing with the hundreds of people expected to be in line?

Security: I'm not sure. Let me ask someone. [hold] I'll need to transfer you to mall management.

Mall management: We have no idea. You need to ask security.

Me: They transferred me to you.

Mall Management: Then I don't know what to tell you. People can't campout in the mall.

Me: So, this is a change from last year's policy?

Mall Management: I believe so. Yes.

So, as you can see, Tyson's Corner has no flipping clue as to what is going on. Hopefully I can get a hold of someone else later in the day. Or, maybe my call will spark some action since they seem to be off-guard on this. All I know, is that the stage seems set for a huge cluster come about midnight...

15. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Thank you for checking into this! I have not yet heard back from my friend who also was going to contact either Mall Security or the Concierge.......

Last year was really great and people were quiet and well-behaved, no one threw trash around or did anything obnoxious, so I can't see why they wouldn't consider allowing the same thing again this year. Each time, though, things have been different, so there may be some new changes..... I guess we will all find out!

16. CongressDJ macrumors member

No problem!

I'm so torn. Do I go to Clarendon, with their civil and friendly lines who bring each other coffee and food from the nearby restaurants... or do I go with Tyson's, which generally has the most inventory (but the largest lines). AT&T is still an option, but I wouldn't be able to get Apple's killer installment plan deal there.

Ugh. What to do... If only I could go tonight and spend the night...

17. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Just got home from Tyson's...... About 20 of us were hanging out in line in front of the store and when store employees who were leaving for the night came out, they warned us that Security was going to kick us out, that we would not be allowed to spend the night in the mall the way we did last year. Sure enough, about 9:40 PM or so, after store closing, along came a Security guy, who told us that we could not stay in line inside the mall or even outside the mall, on mall property at all......but tomorrow morning beginning at 5:00 AM a line will be permitted. Since the parking garages all have gates now, chances are that there is no parking permitted in there earlier, either, nor hanging around on mall property. So that's the scoop on Tyson's!

18. RoseGoldSeason macrumors newbie

RoseGoldSeason

Hey Clix Pix. I feel for your Tysons woes (I've been lurking since 2008 and remember your username back during the 3G launch).

I have an in-store reservation I'm not using for a 128GB iPhone 6S in Space Grey, if you want it. It's at Clarendon, though, for 10 AM.

Let me know! I'll have to be there with you to show ID.

- Sohrab

19. simonx314 macrumors regular

4:50am maybe 70 people in line or more. I can't see the start of the line.

20. simonx314 macrumors regular

Tysons Mall staff let us inside at 5am. Exact count as of 5:22am is 78 people. Line is growing slowly, 14 new people in past 40 minutes.

I got a look at everyone as the line unwrapped to line up back towards LL Bean. Things got testy for a moment while one group accused another of cutting them in line, but the latter group shouted them down claiming they had all originally arrives at the same time. I also saw a lot of confused, impoverished-looking people making up a majority of the first 50 in line. Everyone else is young adult age, and there is one older women. About 20 people are sitting in their folding chairs.

21. Clix Pix, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

I am probably that older woman! LOL! Wearing beige hoodie and green sweats, hair is definitely silvery! I am sitting on the floor on a cushion right across from the window of men's shirts at LL Bean.

Got here at about 4:15 or so, and was surprised to see the length of the line. Parked in the open area across from Parking Garage A when I saw the gates down in the garage itself but cars in the open area. Waited outside and then as we were coming in, I heard part of the argument about who was here first, etc., but thankfully all calmed down. Yes, lots of people I suspect may be scalpers. I am a little surprised. I am also surprised that the line is not significantly longer, but I suppose many preordered this year and/or reserved for pickup in store.

My friend decided to just go ahead and order online but I decided to see what happens this morning......

I am hopeful that I will be able to get the space grey iPhone 6s Plus 128 GB that I want.....! Rosewoodseason, thanks for your offer, though!

22. goofy810 macrumors member

if you cant get it i have a gold one being held at the UPS center I may sell, I was hoping to sell my 6+ 128 silver, then keep the new 6s+ but have not been able to sell and wife wont let me get new till i sell old :(

23. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Well, they just made us move way back so now I am across from the entrance t LL Bean. Sigh.....

24. andrewket macrumors regular

I ordered two for delivery at home. UPS tracking shows one on the truck, and the other went MIA in Harrisburg. The estimated delivery time is now "unknown". I was considering driving over to Tysons as it appears I won't get my phone today, but given the description of the lines I think I'll pass. Have fun.

25. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

ouch! I wouldn't be marrying someone who ruled me like that man!!

Hope it works out for you Clix Pix. whats the time over there? its midday in th eUK so deliveries are in full swing