Tyson's Corner (VA) iPhone 7/7 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by LastPadawan, Sep 12, 2016.

?

Camping or not?

Poll closed Sep 15, 2016.
  1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

8.3%
  3. Yes, on Thursday night.

25.0%
  4. Yes, on Friday morning.

8.3%
  5. I made a reservation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I was able to pre-order

33.3%
  1. LastPadawan macrumors member

LastPadawan

First post ever here but I figured I'd start with this one.

Who's going to be heading to the Tyson's Corner store for the launch? Anyone camping? I'm deciding whether I want to head there immediately after work + the commute back from Maryland.

For those that have done this before, tell us some stories of what we might be able to expect if you're willing :)

Looking forward to seeing everyone there, this will be my first launch night I'll be attending. I've done midnights for games before, but never a phone.

2. computermilk macrumors 6502

This is funny, i was literally JUST about to make a thread on this..

I lost out on the pre order SNAFU because verizon's website is complete garbage and sold phones early online,, still pissed about it... Anyway

I plan on camping out in ANY major location in the northern VA area, the problem is finding one (a mall ) that allows people to actually come in.

If you look at last year's Tyson thread you'll notice what type of a circus that was.. security didn't allow people to camp out at the store anymore.. Not sure if that's whats happening this year or not.

let's try to do some coordinating to find out.. Fair oaks mall? Tyson's? etc etc.

I plan on giving fair oaks a call to find out.

3. LastPadawan thread starter macrumors member

LastPadawan

I'm with you as to how it might go, definitely wanting to pair up with likeminded people, makes the waiting on these kinds of things more bearable.

4. computermilk macrumors 6502

When I find a location that will have line standing integrity, meaning the mall is on board, or security, etc etc.. that's the location i'll be staying at this year. :)

I'll keep this thread updated if i find out anything,

5. RiderXTC macrumors member

I can tell you from past experience that camping out at any mall will yield a bad experience. The problem with a mall store is that there are too many different entrances. During my last experience at Tysons Corner, I was in the line that security indicated was the only place allowed to camp out - this was located outside the mall entrance in the parking garage. When the mall doors opened and we walked to start the line directly outside of the Apple Store, we found that there were already about 100 people parked comfortably on the floor. I arrived around 2:00 am and was very pissed to find that I went from what I thought was the first in line to the 101st person.

This is why I always choose stores with standalone locations. There is only one entrance in or out so you can be certain that if you are first in line, no one else will be in front of you. Clarendon was the perfect location for camping out because security there had an arrangement with the Apple store which allowed anyone to camp out starting as early as he or she liked. For the last five years, I arrived on Wednesday afternoon to ensure I was first in line. This year will be difficult to choose since the Clarendon store is closed for renovations and will remained closed beyond the launch date.

I am considering Georgetown since there is no security company to worry about chasing you away. However, my concern about Georgetown is safety. The rash of recent criminal events in that area may make this a risky choice. I am still deciding.

6. computermilk macrumors 6502

7. Bootleg Gucci macrumors regular

Bootleg Gucci

From my experience camping the 5s and 6+ launches, Tysons Corner Apple has the best allotment of iPhones with rarer color size models. For instance, the first gold 5S launch, Clarendon only got single digit amount of units while Tysons got at least 11. Fair Oaks had a very low supply. If it's the Jet Black 7+ you're after this year, my bet is that Tysons Corner will have the most units allocated out of all the Virginia locations. Of course there will be proportionally more people lining up at Tysons.

8. LastPadawan thread starter macrumors member

LastPadawan

Seems like the consensus is Tysons's Corner is out then? Including Potomac as well. People seem to be pushing towards Georgetown. What was the consensus on Reston?

9. goofy810 macrumors regular

Reston will alow lines and camp chairs, No tents or sleeping bags and you can not block the sidewalk ie 1 person deep line, (im thinking they will be less cranky at 2 am then if you set up camp now). I spoke to the Owners of Reston Town Center, and this is what they told me. Im thinking Reston will be much eaiser then Georgetown and parking will be smother. I will be in Reston prob around 1 or 2 am.

10. LastPadawan thread starter macrumors member

LastPadawan

I am thinking the same. I will join you in Reston then. Plus there's a Starbucks nearby. I'll bring a friend so he can grab drinks and hang with us. Message me if you want to trade contact info or anything.

11. computermilk macrumors 6502

oh damn NICE!!!! Goofy good update with the INFO! I'll show up at Reston myself then too! Parking is WAY easier there. There's a parking garage.

Padawan, you've got my cel # i sent it to you already Make sure to send me a test Text message to get into my contacts. I may show up after dinner Thursday night, maybe 8-9pm.

12. goofy810 macrumors regular

what time are folks looking to get there ?

13. LastPadawan thread starter macrumors member

LastPadawan

Just after work for me on Thursday. Commuting from Rockville. Probably grab dinner then hop there? Bring some chairs, 3ds's and hang out with my buddy/all of you.

14. computermilk macrumors 6502

Oh dude you're bringing a 3ds ? Nice what games. Any multiplayer ones

15. LastPadawan, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

LastPadawan thread starter macrumors member

LastPadawan

Mario Party, Starfox 64, Super Smash Bros. The rest I own are singleplayer focused.

16. goofy810 macrumors regular

Crap i cant get there till like 1 or 2 am cause the wife is out and need the babysitter

17. computermilk macrumors 6502

Nice I'll bring mine as well. And my iPad for movies.

Dang that stinks goofy

18. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

You guys should first confirm if there will be any phones available for walk in customers lining up. People on the forum are saying no phones will be stocked for walk ins.

19. LastPadawan thread starter macrumors member

LastPadawan

Do you happen to have a link handy? Haven't been perusing much beyond the launch meetup area.

20. RulinSmoove macrumors member

RulinSmoove

There was a newly published article on 9to5Mac regarding this.

21. computermilk macrumors 6502

"People on the forum" What do you mean? for ALL Apple stores? that would be a first for all iphone launches since the beginning.

Apple always has walk in launch day stock that's why lines were always formed to begin with.

22. LastPadawan thread starter macrumors member

LastPadawan

If this is the case...Tyson's may prove to be the best choice to go to, regardless of the mall aspect.

23. RulinSmoove macrumors member

RulinSmoove

I'm now starting to think camping out at an AT&T store might be better.

24. computermilk macrumors 6502

This is turning into a major Cluster @#@!@ , i'm already becoming deeply disjointed with Apple. No iPhone release was ever this hard to get one.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2016 ---
    Can anyone get ahold of a Reston Apple store employee and ask if there will be walk in stock available.

25. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

Looks like the Jet Black model wont be available on launch day for people waiting in line.