U.N.: Afghan opium production up

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 25, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I love it. More examples of our failed War on Drugs.

jon

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

For all the money we've spent on the War on Drugs, you'd think that the government would finally learn about the nature of addiction and the laws of supply and demand.

Does anyone really think that Afgans are going to start growing corn instead of poppies just because we have laws against the use of Heroin on the other side of the world? What should we care whether they make opium out of flowers and sell it all over Asia?

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

The sad part is where they money might be going. Combined with oil and opium the Middle East makes so much money to take care of their people if it somehow would be reinvested into the country. But since opium is illegal I'm sure it's just going into a few high powers pockets, just as oil.

I'm surprised it's up though. Afghanistan is so small I figured the U.S. could erradicate most of the crops, I mean there is only so many places they can grow it. Guess not.

jon

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

small, according to US standards, but remote. and the US/UN don't have enough forces there to stabilize the country, much less wipe out drug crops. instead, from what i understand, money for the crops is funneled to the local warlords, so those with power have an interest in the drug trade continuing.

guess who was the only group which could limit drug production: the taleban.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

"its a war on personal freedom, is what it is" :p

interesting that its up though.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

I wonder what they're doing with all the profits?

*looks for new "iPhone Purchasers: Afghanistan" thread*

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thank you for that laugh emw, much needed.

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Not to mention that one of the biggest growers is Karzai's brother.

10. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

its a zero-sum game... we turn a blind eye to opium production, the local militas become stronger and fight of the taliban...

the us is doing whatever it takes to make the taliban loose and us win...

i'm not sure if there has a better alternative... if the us eradicated heroin fields, Afghanistan pro us local militias will find it very hard to remilitarize ...not to mention it won't ear us their good will. unfortunately some of that heroin will find its way to the us ...but... What else does Afghanistan have a comparative advantage in, especially in the context of this globalized economy?

Out of opium, wheat, fruits, and nuts, opium is by farm the most profitable

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

12. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

from what i understand, mint is being researched as a viable alternative or so the Afghan government hopes...

For cash strapped warlords, opium delivers money now...

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Some bright Brit suggested a while ago that we should buy the opium harvest directly from the farmers until some alternative crop is sorted out.

14. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

sort of like agricultural subsidies in US.... pay you to grow nothing

that sounds like a very good idea and will probably cost less than enforcement. however, these kinds of expenditures will have to come from congress where people wont want to have their name attached to bills that could later be used by their political opponents as ammunition.

"did you know that congress man x once supported a bill that armed terrorist cells in Afghanistan? i'm candidate y and i approve this message"

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Because that money winds up in the hands of people who want to harm American interests!

For someone who is as dead set on protecting American interests by killing Iraqis, you seem remarkably nonchalant about the threat posed by al-Qaeda-outside-Iraq.

16. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

does this mean i should invest in Afghanistan Opium stocks?

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Not all poppy farmers are al Qaida and vice versa. I have no problem with people producing or even using opium even if it could generate money for people I don't care for. Frankly, they'll get money from something else or even from donors sympathetic to the cause.

al Qaeda members should be targeted and killed where they live and operate regardless of whether it's on a poppy farm.

18. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

1. it comes back to us somehow
    2. its not morally justifiable to addict other peoples to a terrible drug just because you want to further your agenda

19. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

you mean arrested and tried... because the last time i checked the spirit of the american republic is not about assassination... I mean i grant you assassination should be used in extreme cases, but a poppy farmer should be tried by an international tribunal or an american military court. One should only execute them if they have broken laws and/or human rights standards. If you give governments a carte blanche on assassination, you will have invariable hurt your own democratic institution.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah but if even some money winds up in terrorist hands...

Or are you not familiar with the 1% Doctrine?

21. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

No, I don't want enemy combatants arrested and tried. I want them shelled, bombed or otherwise killed right in the facilities where they train and stockpile weapons.

22. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Funny how they same the same thing about your combatants.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yada yada yada. Talk is easy, however odious. Why don't you go over there and do something?

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Given that there's a shortage of Morphine and Diamorphine at least in the UK that sounds a reasonable idea.It would work out cheaper in the long run,I'm also in favour of paying China India etc to cut pollution.

25. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Only problem with this would be that, because our presence in Afghanistan is so small, we'd pay the farmers to grow nothing, but then they'd grow poppies anyway, and take the gov't subsidies along with their profits. There's no way we could enforce compliance.