U.N. body adopts resolution on religious defamation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Mar 28, 2009.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE52P60220090326

Hurting people's feelings is a "human rights violation?" No. Censorship is a human rights violation.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well jeez, alot of us here in PRSI are gonna be in trouble.....

I really don't get why people stand for this crap any more.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

A sad day in the history of the United Nations.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is a terrible idea. However, this represents a longstanding problem with the United Nations as a body. Many, many things it has done were ramrodding of ideas, usually by Western countries, onto other countries that didn't agree with them. The completely unreasonable allocation of seats on the Security Council is only one of many egregious examples of this.

The problem here is in part that the UN made such a resolution. However, it's in greater part that the ideals behind the resolution are endorsed by hundreds of millions of people in many countries who we force to try to live according our principles of freedom and equality without ever having actually convinced them to want to live democratically.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This is a cultural insensitivity. Western cultural history places a different emphasis on individual means of self-expression, whereas other peoples place a different emphasis on collective norms of behaviour. What appears strange to us, is the norm elsewhere. What gives us the right to dictate to others?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's a sad day when advocating freedom of speech is called dictating to others.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You know as well as I do that what we call 'freedom of speech' is not a universally-held virtue... and placing that at the forefront of all human concern represents little more than cultural imperialism, in my view, because we're not the ones being told to adopt Confucian ethics, for instance, to mediate our relationships between individuals, the family, the state and faith.

However, when in Rome... and all that, I guess. I can't work up false outrage over a non-binding declaration.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The whole concept of "defamation of religion" is utterly nonsensical, given that competing monotheistic religions are defaming each other on a daily basis.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, you and I also know that's a fight that we're not really involved with.

I agree that the use of the word 'defaming' leaves things a bit wide open... but reading the linked article, it seems there is also a small amount of outrage that an inconvenient voting bloc may have been formed, as well as legitimate concerns. The larger question is what the UN is for, if it only serves to rubberstamp the needs of the West.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Whilst he is far from my favourite writer, Johann Hari wrote a particularly splendid piece about this two months ago:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...spect-these-oppressive-religions-1517789.html

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy