U.S. Added 151,000 Jobs in October

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Nov 5, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-05/u-s-added-151-000-jobs-in-october-exceeding-forecasts-unemployment-9-6-.html

Context - in the last month of GWB's presidency, there were 752,000 jobs lost, and things were getting worse. October had 151,000 new jobs (and no census to consider), and things are getting better.

Or were...

What we really need to get the economy rolling are a bunch of investigations and efforts to stall/delay/prevent any government action. :rolleyes:

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Congratulations First Orange-American Speaker of the House Boehner. Those Republicans sure work quickly.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's the only way Republicans CAN win.

Well, we had a Republican vice president named after a penis. I guess it's only fitting that we have yet another Republican leader named after a penis. We're gonna get dicked by him after all.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sad to discover it's pronounced BAY-ner. Many jokes go down the drain.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Who cares? It's how it looks that counts. ;) Don't think people are going to give up the jokes because of that.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And if mine looked like that, I would be on my way to Emergency.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Good work, only 7,849,000 jobs to go.

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Interesting. So we doubled what economists expected there? That's encouraging. My hopes remain guarded on consumer spending given everyone is in debt payoff mode.

10. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Which begs the question, what is the best way to encourage creation of those 8M jobs? Is it giving tax cuts to the top 1% of earners? Is it reducing the tax rate on very, very large estates? Is it encouraging businesses to send jobs overseas and manufacture things overseas? Is it demonizing people because of the color of their skin, where they are from or who they choose as lovers? Is it restricting the rights of women?

Or perhaps, is it providing quality education to a healthy general population of people who have the financial ability to purchase things and live the American dream?

I'm really excited to see what ideas the GOP proposes in the House. I'm hoping (no sarcasm intended) for a good, healthy debate, but I don't expect it.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You would be wise only to expect scandals and investigations.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Point man for the party that believes in letting the average citizen make their own choices. Pants on or pants off, you pick. You voted for this, after all.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think your number is a little low. That might be to get were we started but you have to account for labor market increase in size which is 125-150k per month. So that is another 3-4 mil right there.

For me I am hoping that the market for CS majors in a little more than a year companies will be begging for them and bending over backwards. Reason I say that is because that is about the time I will be looking.

Come on have a little faith.
    I can see this as forcing them to work together. When Clinton lost control over both he ended up forcing both Congress to work with him since he manage to have all the blame shifted on to them. As it was GOP could just sit back and point the finger at the Dems saying the Dems had full control and could not get anything done. After that they lost that and Clinton was able to just point to finger back at them and Clinton approval rose while Congress and more important GOP approval rating fell.

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Certain job sectors have reported a greater increase in openings, including

education and health services with 53,000 jobs,

retail with 28,000 (holidays are coming up will these jobs be there in January?)

temporary health services with 34,000 jobs. (aka per diem)

My biggest concerns is in the manufacturing sector. Each of the above sectors is in the service sector.
    Manufacturing lost about 7000 jobs. We are losing more and more production or products. The US is spiraling to a services/consumption only country.

Luckily I have a job but have been looking at whats out there. I have interviewed at 6 places and have had 4 offers. All the offers were within 3% ofeach other but approximately 29% lower than I am making now.

I think Obama will have a strong chance of another 4 years if government shrinks, private sector grows, unemployment dips below 8% and manufacturing jobs increase.

manufacturing is very important, without it the workforce will have a significant gap.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The Republicans ruined any faith I might have had in them decades ago. I don't expect them to start changing now. They have stated that they are out to destroy Obama, not work with him. It would be wise to believe them.

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Nevermind the two Democrat Presidents named after penises. :rolleyes:

You want dick jokes? I got yer dick jokes.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Of course, we most certainly would not want to try to connect the three previous president to female anatomy… :eek:

18. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Mulva? Gipple? Delores!

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Well played. :cool:

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You forgot Cheney. Whoops, sorry, Republican president. Mouse bad. :p

Just checked the spelling, and the puppet-master is younger than me?? :eek:

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Go for it.

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I don't think I'd get too excited about this job-creation number. It's not much above the zero baseline for new entrants into the workforce on a monthly basis. Those kids and teeny-boppers keep growing, and the next thing you know the little devils gotta go to work.

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I ran across this commentary a little while ago:

http://www.businessinsider.com/here...sedly-great-jobs-report-2010-11#ixzz14VgLqhZD

"...we thought we’d take a closer look at the other side of the coin. The Household Survey showed the following today:

• a decline of 330,000 in the number of people employed;
    • a decline of 254,000 in the labor force;
    • a decline in the employment-population ratio to 58.3% from 58.5% in September;
    • an increase of 462,000 in those not in the labor force; and
    • an increase of 76,000 in the number of people unemployed.

The drop in the number of employed is concerning - and brings into question the disparity between the labor force and unemployment statistics in the Household Survey, and job creation indicated by the establishment surveys."

24. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

wat

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Perhaps the other 208k are people entering the workforce for the first time?