U.S. Applecare good in Europe?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CBAviator, Nov 22, 2009.

1. CBAviator macrumors 6502

Hi all. I think the answer to my question is "yes" but I just want to confirm.

I am going to be purchasing a MacBook Pro in the next month or two before moving to the Netherlands for graduate school. I am most certainly going to purchase AppleCare with my laptop. However, is a U.S. purchased Applecare good to use in Europe? Does anyone have experience with utilizing their U.S.-based Applecare while traveling/living in Europe?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

2. CBAviator thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just to clarify for you or others, AppleCare is worldwide on Laptops and Mac minis (as far as computers are concerned). On Mac Pro's and iMacs, it's restricted to the country of origin.

jW

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

And Apple does not have a presence in the Netherlands so you will have to deal with their authorized providers for warranty work unless you wish to ship it outside of the country. This can cause issues when Apple doesn't want to take responsibility for something due to their lack of physical presence...ask me how I know.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That my count for the US, but here in Europe it's a little different.

My MacPro's (bought in the UK) AppleCare leaflet has a list with all countries in which AppleCare is valid and that is almost every nation of Europe.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

i don't think that's true anymore....it was that way once but it changed a few years ago

7. SaltyPiratePony macrumors newbie

I'm planning to do the same and I'm gonna transfer the Applecare onto (my name and) new address... It shouldn't give any problems I reckon. The point about Apple Authorized Service Providers is valid though, unless you call to Apple directly on the phone (never done that before so I don't know if there is a pick-up service* for repairs). Some ASPs (may) ask additional fees but I gotta check that again if that's true when you do have Applecare. (I guess/hope not)

*where Apple mails you a pre-paid box so you can send them your broken mbp