U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, May 22, 2010.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Speaking of selectively removing rights without due process...

This story has been festering for a while, and I've been meaning to bring it up. I know the George Soros implant in my head says I shouldn't criticize Obama, but here goes:
    I am extremely uncomfortable handing the executive branch the authority to target American citizens for assassination based on information that is likely not to be made public in any way, with no recourse for the target to face their accuser in any kind of open forum.

Obviously this case is a good one, from the government's perspective, to use to enshrine this authority in the executive branch's arsenal. Few people are likely to complain if this Imam meets his maker via American weaponry. His words and deeds are quite obviously hostile, and his is an undeniable threat to cause further death and destruction to Americans and others.

But once this kind of power is enshrined, it will become more and more tempting for an executive to use it to silence critics. As we watched during the Bush years, dissent was equated with lack of patriotism, with "wanting the terrorists to win". The press needed to "watch what it said". Criticism of the war effort in Iraq was no different than hating our troops.

In such an environment, it is hardly a stretch to imagine an executive claim that it's critics were a threat to the nation, and ordering them killed.

It's a line I don't think we should cross, no matter how persuasive this particular case is.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I agree.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It would be much better idea to not broadcast any of this and send in a secret operative to just assassinate him.

4. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

If he's actively involved in attacks, then he becomes an enemy combatant and open to being killed.

5. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

The definition of an enemy combatant should be restricted to those on the field of battle, or in a declared battle zone.

If he's outside that, he's just a criminal. American citizens who are criminals have certain rights that the government cannot simply take away, no matter how tempting it may be.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly, if a drone comes in and kills him while eating lunch in a house, under what logic is he considered a combatant?

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

He cut his sandwich sideways instead of diagnol.

Or it could be that hes incited terrorists to make attacks on our country.

8. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

It would be too hard to knock on the guy's door and detain him?

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Oh sure, I bet he would offer the arresting officers some tea while they were there too.

10. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Like the criminals here in America do to the cops who kick in their door?

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Remember, we are at war with these people. That means they have super powers and only military action can stop them. :p

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

A little different scenario. Why put soldiers in danger when you can just set a targeted bomb on his house?

13. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why put police in danger when you can just set a targeted bomb on a druggies house?

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Again, stop trying to bring foreign hostile environments into parallel with US ground, it isn't the same. I hope Obama blows this guy sky high.

15. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

We are not at war with Yemen.

I hope you're sitting in the next house over when he does.

See why it's not a good option?

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Doesn't matter if they are harboring him. Can you imagine the US allowing someone to plan attacks from US ground on Russia or some other country? No.

No. Send the drones.

17. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, I could never imagine that.

Enjoy the explosion then...