U.S. Army role finder made me laugh

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jondunford, Jan 25, 2014.

1. jondunford, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

I was looking at the role finder on the U.S. Army website (I wanted to see how the results differed from the British army's site).

It asks questions about you, your qualifications, your personality, what areas of life you are skilled in and what you avoid, etc. At the end it suggests what roles you would be most suited to in the army.

One of the questions:

In video games such as Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, which role do you enjoy playing the most?

Made me laugh.

I will make a good recruit because I don't camp. I am also hoping to use a sniper rifle so I can quick-scope and I am going to throw C4 instead of hand grenades because I can't count to five.

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Given the culture of modern young men, it's not a bad thing to ask. It at least makes an attempt get someone into an MOS in which they have an interest.

A lot of ground pounders we worked with were pretty big fans of first person warfare shooters. Could be a correlation.

3. jondunford thread starter macrumors 6502

jondunford

I see what you mean

I actually found the opposite - most military gamers I know tend to stay away from "realistic" games and lean towards fantasy/roleplaying games, but that is interesting to hear

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've long regarded the military as an honorable occupation. After all, you sign that blank check in the amount of "Up to and including my life." Your country's well-being above your own.

Which is all well and good if the nation's leadership is honorable. It's a two-way street.

Nowadays? With this bunch of war mongers in charge? No way, Jose! They have no honor.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Or which I've interpreted as "allow me to be used as cannon fodder by a bunch of politicians who can't figure out a better solution than fighting."

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Depends on what the fight's about. Some folks think that avoiding slavery is an effort worth dying for.

7. dec. Suspended

dec.

I think they'd be doing a better / more accurate job if they'd be asking about how you would deal with the loss of a limb or two instead of referring to video games in a decision that many people will regret having made.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Slick way of talking possible recruits into a combat MOS and finding out who the gung ho ones are online. There is way more occupations in the military that you'll never seen in COD and similar games.

9. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

While true, combat arms is way more fun. I've been an OIC of SCIF doing strategic work, and been in the field on the tactical side, running and gunning.

For me, I prefer being in the company of trigger pullers, and combat arms is the big allure of military service. There is a reason the navy does nearly all it's recruiting with NSW, rather than some poor junior enlisted painting pipes deep in the hull of a destroyer for six months out of the year .

10. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Running and gunning? Please don't say that again.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

The initial excitement of handling arms and combat doesn't last long, trust me. But yea, it is all about marketing.

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

MK19's never get old :D

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Some folks think that battle has been lost already.

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

If you look at the U.S. army tool for finding a career by interests or skills, the picture associated with skills shows hands expertly guiding a red pen over paper. For interests? A gaming controller. Ha.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You mean as depicted in The Last Starfighter?

Art imitates Life, again.

16. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

When I read the threadtitle I instantly thought about that old Simpsons episode when Homer joins the national guard and his drill-instructor gave all the recruits there special assignmet based on their skills .... (it was all some euphemisn for cannon-fodder).

Tried to find that scene on Utube and failed :mad:

17. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

if you think about it, it makes sense. if people who played call of duty performed with the strategy that a platoon in the army would.They wouldn't lose.

18. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Yeah they'd end up getting shot in the back of the head or fragged for failing to properly execute the basic concepts of FM 7-8

19. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

in ghosts yes. that game is terrible. i sold it the week after i got it.

20. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Haven't played Ghost yet. Only COD I didn't buy on day one.

Thanks for the heads up though:)

21. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

honestly not even worth it. maps are huge, max amount of players is 12. i actually wrote a paper bashing it for my english class and got an A. :D

22. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Have an opinion on battlefield 4? Haven't tried that yet either.

Big map with only 12 players...that would suck.

23. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Ive been told that battlefield is much better, i never really liked that game. I don't really have time for video games anyways now.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the best game to prepare me for my conscription service would have been

truck driving simulator ... no wait make that .. truck driving _passenger_ simulator
    Skyrim PS3: for it's very long waiting times at the loading screens
    MS Excel: since i filled countless of huge spreadsheets, except not on computer but with pen&paper

25. jondunford thread starter macrumors 6502

jondunford

to be honest the world leaders could have a game of team death match on the XBOX and whoever wins gets their political say; instead of sending people to war