U.S. baby boomlet

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Jan 15, 2008.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

cnn

In 20 years this country is going to look very different. Not only more hispanic people also more racial mixing. I find the "mixed" kids and adults very beautiful. The mix of features is really interesting to me.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Remember this thread? :D

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, and some of them look really bad. ;)

It's always based on the parents, and luck.

4. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah thats old.

5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

It's great to see that the U.S. is on another baby boom, but it's a bit insulting to Americans to say that the main reason they're having more babies is that they're too poor and stupid to know any better. Perhaps they're having more babies because, unlike the rest of the civilized world, they realize that children are a blessing rather than a curse, and are essential to the continued existence of the human race? These 'experts' need to take a walk outside of their theories every once in a while and see what the real world is all about.

6. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

then there is this:

I see that happening all the time.

7. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Great just what we need...MORE people!

As if traffic, urban sprawl, rising healthcare costs, and people living till their 90s cashing in Social Security checks wasn't enough! Let's add another 200 million people by 2050, wouldn't that be just dandy!

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Granted Americans are a resource-hungry people, but if we invest in green technology and better public transit, a lot of that can be avoided.

Either way, I'm glad this is happening again. Other Westernized nations are having trouble with their population balance because the population is aging too rapidly. Maybe we Americans are smarter than we look. :)
    Besides, babies are so cute. :eek:

9. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

With 6.6 Billion "Blessings" I've had enough good luck and fortune thanks! As for what the real world is about - haven't you heard about all the destruction, raping of the environment and extinction of habitats and animal species and indigenous peoples to cater for Americas greed? You consume far more than anyone else by a great factor. I see a lot of wastefulness here but statistically Americans are way ahead. The world needs less people but especially less Americans and Europeans.

10. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

excuse me?

less Europeans and Americans? how about less chinese or indian, or even africans. there are the people with the highest population. these are the people with no funds to support themselves. these are the people dropping dead en mass.

these people deserve better treatment and help, but they are the ones overpopulating the world, not the Europeans and Americans. WE just need to learn to be more environmentally and economically cautious. Our issue is not children.

I understand you may love to put down Europe and America, but they are great places in the world, and have a lot of good things, I think they outweigh the bad.

11. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I agree re your remarks about China etc. Essentially I'm against all population increase and would love to see large swathes of Europe revert back to a wild state but the thrust of my argument is Americans consume more therefore there numbers are more damaging. For example Cornell University says - http://dieoff.org/page174.htm

"Each American consumes about 50 times more goods and services than the average Chinese citizen."

So 300 million Americans are the equivalent of 15 billion Chinese!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3762634.stm

"... an average North American consumes twice as many resources as a European.."

The idea that Europe or America are great places is neither here nor there - we have to change our behaviour. Americans more than anyone. And that doesn't mean I can slack either just because I'm not as bad as the average American. Everyone has to change for the betterment of all living things.

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

How do you think those nations became poor? Who do you suppose is consuming their resources? I mean, everyone started off the 20th century in the same boat, right? It's not like these people have centuries of being conquered, oppressed and enslaved to overcome.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

No, everyone did NOT start off the 20th century in the same boat.

You've also chosen not to address the issue that Americans consume way more than any other nation on the planet.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

[​IMG]

;)

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

See below.

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

There is a simple equation: high mortality rates = high birth rates

This does not account for all groups which have high birth rates, but it is especially true in the world's developing countries.

Population growth is not a thing the US should be turning cartwheels over. The American Aristocracy continues to take a larger piece of our national wealth. That leaves less money for the middle working class, and the lower working class. I do not know the current statistics for homeless Americans. But, increased population, coupled with fewer opportunities for success, will add more stress on a system which is already buckling.