U.S. Birth Tourism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Federal agents crackdown on 'birth tourism' in California

Easy way to get your foot in the US door, come here and pop out a baby for free*! Although I'm generally understanding of the pragmatic side of illegal aliens, I whole heartedly support this crack down. I've never supported illegal immigration just cause they can get away with it.

*free at the emergency room.

2. kds1 Suspended

kds1

This has been something that has pissed me off since I saw a 20/20 report on "Anchor Babies" when I was 16. Mexicans coming over the border into Texas to give birth so their kid gets U.S. Citizenship, and the free neo-natal care and then of course, when the kid turns 18, he petitions to have his entire family brought to the U.S. to join him. This is why I think that citizenship granted by birth on U.S. soil should be repealed. In other countries, you are a citizen of the country your parents are citizens of. I think it should be the same in the U.S. Our system is just allowing people to abuse it.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How many of these so-called anchor babies are born here each year? Is this a real problem or just more xenophobia?

4. kds1 Suspended

kds1

It doesn't matter how many. It's a total abuse. And other countries don't do this. I'm so sick and tired of this "xenophobia" accusation ****. You want to immigrate? Do it the legal way, not through some loop hole that needs to be closed. And while I'm at it, countries that don't grant Jus Soli citizenship. What of them? Are they xenophobic?

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

For me it's not xenophobia, but a moral and legal principle. The US has a right to control immigration within its borders especially immigration that illegally jumps to the head of the legal line. It was reported that one of these hotels revealed evidence of 400 births. It may not sound like much until the total number of these hotels are revealed (which I don't know) and the principle remains. We are not in a state of anarchy and should not accept this violation of our laws. If we want to open our borders, come one, come all, suggest that your Representative propose this. :)

6. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I know someone personally--a Mexican citizen living in Tijuana--that had their baby across the border just a few months ago. My guess is this is much more prevalent then we can quantify. If you were a Mexican living close to the border, why wouldn't you do this? It's too easy.

7. kds1 Suspended

kds1

I know someone personally who was born that way. I don't hold it against him personally, but I do not support the practice. It's a loophole that needs to be closed.

8. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I agree.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

A person born to people residing in the USA illegally should not be a citizen.

The whole notion of an anchor baby is utter political and economic lunacy.

Put it this way, how many developed nations still allow or have expended blanket birthright citizenship, compared to how many have repealed birthright citizenship in the last 20 - 30 years?

10. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

It's not just people living in the USA illegally, it's people that are allowed legal temporary entrance into the USA that cross the border only to have the baby.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

because not every one cares, BIL is close to the border (Cananea Son), he had the choice if he wanted, he crosses the border as he sees fit with his visa, it was more important to him that his kids be attended by the DR his family was seeing at the time

12. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Funny note about the guy I know. His family was in Tijuana but he was born in San Diego. Anyway, since he had U.S. Citizenship, the government wanted to charge him tuition to attend Mexican public school!

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I agree with those that think it should be stopped. However, I can see a big Potential disadvantage with this. if the baby when it grows up and decide not to move to the US they still have to file US tax returns on their world wide income.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

To clarify, I would include those people to. To be a citizen of the USA it should be required that at least one parent be a citizen. And I do mean citizen, not resident.

Everyone else should be a guest we can throw out if he want to.

16. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I don't think a parent needs to be a citizen necessarily. I have no problem with a child that is born to a parent that is in the U.S. with legal residency (not just permission to enter via a visa or border pass). And take away the apparent advantage of having an anchor baby to facilitate permanent residency or citizenship.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The patrons of these "maternity hotels" are generally wealthy Chinese, not poor Mexicans.

I fully support a constitutional amendment removing the birthright clause.

18. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Yes, the Chinese. The Mexicans just come over the border. The thing is, we keep giving citizenship to Chinese, like those special visas for spending money in the country and supposedly "creating jobs", that given them a fast track to citizenship. Or these hotels. China knows this. China would like many of it's citizens to become holders of U.S. citizenship, while retaining loyalty to China. Then, when that population starts hitting critical mass, they can vote, and run for office. See where this is going?

And the stupid thing is that America is all too willing to sell itself down the river for $$$$.

----------

I do. Doesn't matter if you are a permanent resident. Your kid doesn't get citizenship if you don't have it. That's the way it should be. It's the way it works in other countries.

19. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I just don't think the situation where kids are born to parents here legally is a problem. In many cases these kids grow up here, go to school here, learn English and are every bit an American as you or I (I know the same can be said for kids born to illegals and those kids have my sympathies but we have to be careful with the loopholes in our laws that incentivize illegal immigration putting a burden on our social systems).

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

On the other hand Boris Johnson had to renounce his US citizenship that he didn't want.

I think you should change the rules to not allow anchor babies.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    This is one of those things that might seem like a good idea, given the direct circumstances, but could end up biting a bunch of people in the ass later on.

And the people who's asses get bitten probably wouldn't be the ones you'd expect.

22. kds1 Suspended

kds1

How is that? Explain?

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

A clause that nullifies granting citizenship to those born on domestic soil, but instead requires it be granted through permission by the state? Considering how riled up we are politically, I could easily imagine a situation where someone will think it's a good idea to "earn" your citizenship, rather than having it given to you at birth.

24. kds1 Suspended

kds1

No, not granted through permission of the state. Granted by the citizenship of your parents.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

What about green card parents? People who are here legally, though not on a guaranteed permanent basis. Their kids could end up finding themselves stuck in a citizenship limbo.

Does their citizenship apply retroactively if and when their parents are granted it themselves?