U.S Brendan Eich resigns as Mozilla CEO .....Cause he's against gays.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Brendan Eich resigned as CEO of Mozilla Thursday after public backlash over his position anti-gay position on same-sex marriage.

Crazy how THIS thread was just recently created too.

A newly promoted tech CEO who contributed money to an effort to ban gay marriage in California resigned Thursday, days after dating site OkCupid.com outed him as “an opponent of equal rights.”

Brendan Eich, a co-founder of Mozilla, was named CEO of the company last month, sparking outrage among board members of the nonprofit, which created the Firefox Internet browser, as well as users of the free service.

OkCupid prevented web surfers from logging onto the site through the Firefox portal, claiming 8% of its users are gay or lesbian.

Eich gave $1,000 to support California’s Proposition 8 in 2008, a bill banning gay marriage in the country’s most populous state.
Mitchell Baker, chairwoman of Mozilla Foundation, announced the resignation of Brendan Eich as company CEO just days after he was named to the posted. Angel Navarrete/Bloomberg Mitchell Baker, chairwoman of Mozilla Foundation, announced the resignation of Brendan Eich as company CEO just days after he was named to the posted.

Prop 8 passed, but was later overturned.

Eich’s support of the ban was made public two years ago when he served as the company chief technology officer. But the promotion late last month led half of the Mozilla Foundation’s board members to quit and angered thousands of employees and people in Silicon Valley’s Mountain View community, many of whom weighed in on social media.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Glad to see a thread about this topic that didn't begin with the creator ranting about how he feels the former Mozilla CEO is discriminated against because others are calling him out for he's discriminate against gays.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Why should he be forced to resign because of his personal opinion on something? Am I not understanding this properly?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Why should he be forced to resign because of his personal opinion on something? Am I not understanding this properly?
Public opinion of most businesses is a crucial element. Too bad oil companies are one of the exceptions.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Now that one can have only one opinion, the U.S. becomes a very un-interesting place to live.
And, now you have to, somehow, know if the one opinion that you have, is the correct one.
Looking forward to more from the "Opinion approval board" :D
Apparently, they can decide who works, and who doesn't...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Now that one can have only one opinion, the U.S. becomes a very un-interesting place to live.
And, now you have to, somehow, know if the one opinion that you have, is the correct one.
Looking forward to more from the "Opinion approval board" :D
Apparently, they can decide who works, and who doesn't...
Opinion approval has never been nothing new. What's new is America's opinion in general is rapidly changing.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Because the intolerant tolerant left said so.
This may have had something to do with it.

from the article
Eich’s support of the ban was made public two years ago when he served as the company chief technology officer. But the promotion late last month led half of the Mozilla Foundation’s board members to quit and angered thousands of employees and people in Silicon Valley’s Mountain View community, many of whom weighed in on social media.
They may not have asked him to quit, but if it drove others to quit, it may have been damaging to the company. There's no way to tell as of yet whether he was coerced into quitting.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
"Be tolerant, or else..."

You gotta love this.

Actually, I don't. A vocal minority has taken public opinion and discourse hostage.
This has never ended well...

-t

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
He was a liability to the business, so the other board members stepped in, Free Markets working.:D

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
A vocal minority has taken public opinion and discourse hostage.
You mean the bigots who seem to think they're in the majority? You're really having a hard time accepting the fact that the solid majority of Americans support gay rights aren't you? I'm sorry that you spend so much time hating other people, it's truly a sad and terrible way to live your life. I truly wish you all the best and hope that one day you can let go of the bitterness.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
You mean the bigots who seem to think they're in the majority? You're really having a hard time accepting the fact that the solid majority of Americans support gay rights aren't you? I'm sorry that you spend so much time hating other people, it's truly a sad and terrible way to live your life. I truly wish you all the best and hope that one day you can let go of the bitterness.
I don't think that's true for a minute.

There are 40 million black Americans according to the 2010 Census. That is 12.3 percent of the population, and the overwhelming majority of Blacks have no love for gay rights, gay marriage or gay anything.

53 million hispanics in the USA; 17% perfect of the population, and again, the majority have little affection for homosexuals.

That right there is 30% of the population, and most of your urban, mostly lefty democratic cities.

Then you have the entire bible belt of white Americans. No gay love there.

The midwest of Utah, Idaho, Montana. Not much gay love there.

Asians, Muslims, Jews, that's another block without much gay love.

This whole idea of mass gay acceptance is a myth repeated enough that some people actually think it's true.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006

There are 40 million black Americans according to the 2010 Census. That is 12.3 percent of the population, and the overwhelming majority of Blacks have no love for gay rights, gay marriage or gay anything.

53 million hispanics in the USA; 17% perfect of the population, and again, the majority have little affection for homosexuals.

That right there is 30% of the population, and most of your urban, mostly lefty democratic cities.

This whole idea of mass gay acceptance is a myth repeated enough that some people actually think it's true.
LOL. :rolleyes:

Citations please. Talk about conjuring up numbers right from one's behind.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
A Washington Post/ABC News poll from February–March 2014 found a record high of 59% of Americans approve of same-sex marriage, with only 34% opposed and 7% with no opinion. The poll also revealed that 53% of the population in the States that currently do not allow same-sex couples to marry approve of same-sex marriage.

50% of respondents said that the United States Constitution guarantees the freedom to marry the person of one's choice, regardless of that persons's sex or sexual orientation. 41% disagreed, and 9% had no opinion.[15] The same poll also found that 81% of people found that businesses should not be allowed to refuse to serve gays and lesbians. 16% disagreed, and 3% had no opinion.

78% thought that gay couples can be "just as good parents" as straight couples, while 18% disagreed and 4% had no opinion.[16]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_opinion_of_same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_States#Polls_in_2014

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014

That's a whole new level of burying your head in the sand without any citations. Especially the bit about Jews. Have you ever even met any Jews? They're known for their support of gay rights and other liberal causes in the US. I live in an area with a relatively high Jewish population compared to the rest of the US and I can assure you that their support for gay rights is practically unanimous. Unless you're referring to the orthodox, who make up a minority of American Jews, who are already a minority to begin with.

Source
83% to be exact. Which is no shocker being that many American Jews families came here to escape persecution by European Christians who were also persecuting gays.

Also:
As noted above, 83% of practicing Jewish Americans came out in favor, 62% of "white mainline Protestants" similarly expressed support, along with 58% of white Catholics and 56% of Hispanic Catholics.
So everything you said is pretty much wrong.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
That's a whole new level of burying your head in the sand without any citations. Especially the bit about Jews. Have you ever even met any Jews? They're known for their support of gay rights and other liberal causes in the US. I live in an area with a relatively high Jewish population compared to the rest of the US and I can assure you that their support for gay rights is practically unanimous. Unless you're referring to the orthodox, who make up a minority of American Jews, who are already a minority to begin with.

Source
83% to be exact. Which is no shocker being that many American Jews families came here to escape persecution by European Christians who were also persecuting gays.
Yes, I am referring mostly to the Orthodox arm of Judaism, which is growing due to immigration and very low birth rate among Reform Judaism.

27% of Jews younger than 18 live in Orthodox households. That’s a dramatic jump from Jews aged 18 to 29, only 11% of whom are Orthodox.
“Orthodox birthrates in just the last few years have been soaring,” said Jewish sociologist Steven M. Cohen, who requested the new data from Pew. “The sky is falling for the rest of the population.
Read more: http://forward.com/articles/187429/orthodox-population-grows-faster-than-first-figure/?p=all#ixzz2xzYFD7Nr

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Yes, I am referring mostly to the Orthodox arm of Judaism, which is growing due to immigration and very low birth rate among Reform Judaism.

Read more: http://forward.com/articles/187429/orthodox-population-grows-faster-than-first-figure/?p=all#ixzz2xzYFD7Nr
I suppose the relaxed interpretation of scripture (which was arguably more relaxed than Christianity to begin with*) does pose a problem for Reform Jews going forward. Neither I, my brother, nor any of my cousins practice the religious traditions of our forbears. Not even the three whose mother is a Rabbi. In fact most younger people I know who came from a Jewish family are atheists or, at most, agnostic.

*The idea of "eternal damnation" for ones sins has never been accepted by mainstream Judaism.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Interesting. Still doesn't invalidate my point.
It's not a matter of trying to invalidate your point, but this cause of gay marriage is primarily the concern of white liberals. They are 90% of the weight behind it with most other groups not buying it.

I can google "gay marriage rally" and 90% of the images will be as white as a Klan rally only with rainbow flags. Kinda odd considering 63% of the country is white.

A Washington Post/ABC News poll from February–March 2014 found a record high of 59% of Americans approve of same-sex marriage, with only 34% opposed and 7% with no opinion. That should in theory encompass swaths of minority groups.

Where are the Blacks? Hispanics? Asians? Muslims? You don't see them. You know why? Because those groups are overwhelmingly NOT down with gay marriage.

This premise of wide support is an oft repeated falsehood for people who don't get out much.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
It's not a matter of trying to invalidate your point, but this cause of gay marriage is primarily the concern of white liberals. They are 90% of the weight behind it with most other groups not buying it.

I can google "gay marriage rally" and 90% of the images will be as white as a Klan rally only with rainbow flags. Kinda odd considering 63% of the country is white.

A Washington Post/ABC News poll from February–March 2014 found a record high of 59% of Americans approve of same-sex marriage, with only 34% opposed and 7% with no opinion. That should in theory encompass swaths of minority groups.

Where are the Blacks? Hispanics? Asians? Muslims? You don't see them. You know why? Because those groups are overwhelmingly NOT down with gay marriage.

This premise of wide support is an oft repeated falsehood for people who don't get out much.
You keep repeating this but failing to provide citations for your assumptions. Time for bed now, looking forward to reading your reply in the morning.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I suppose the relaxed interpretation of scripture (which was arguably more relaxed than Christianity to begin with*) does pose a problem for Reform Jews going forward. Neither I, my brother, nor any of my cousins practice the religious traditions of our forbears. Not even the three whose mother is a Rabbi. In fact most younger people I know who came from a Jewish family are atheists or, at most, agnostic.

*The idea of "eternal damnation" for ones sins has never been accepted by mainstream Judaism.
I think it's only a problem to the extent that Reform Jews don't reproduce, so the vacuum will inevitably be filled with Jew immigrants which tend to skew Orthodox. This will change Jewish self perception, politics, and social views over the next decade or so.

When I was in Brooklyn College, the Orthodox kids always came from massive families. The reform Jews were only children a lot of the time.

Off topic though.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

Well there are quite a few Blacks and Hispanics in this crowd.

Also, if you look up "traditional marriage rally" you get mostly white people as well. Random pictures on the internet don't prove much of anything.

Last edited: