U.S Brendan Eich resigns as Mozilla CEO .....Cause he's against gays.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Apr 4, 2014.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Brendan Eich resigned as CEO of Mozilla Thursday after public backlash over his position anti-gay position on same-sex marriage.

Crazy how THIS thread was just recently created too.

2. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Glad to see a thread about this topic that didn't begin with the creator ranting about how he feels the former Mozilla CEO is discriminated against because others are calling him out for he's discriminate against gays.

3. zin macrumors 6502

Why should he be forced to resign because of his personal opinion on something? Am I not understanding this properly?

4. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Public opinion of most businesses is a crucial element. Too bad oil companies are one of the exceptions.

5. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Because the intolerant tolerant left said so.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Now that one can have only one opinion, the U.S. becomes a very un-interesting place to live.
    And, now you have to, somehow, know if the one opinion that you have, is the correct one.
    Looking forward to more from the "Opinion approval board" :D
    Apparently, they can decide who works, and who doesn't...

7. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Yep. Very strange decision to appoint Eich as CEO when his support for Prop 8 was already known. The people who gave him the job *must* have had some inkling that it would result in a sh*tstorm.

8. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Opinion approval has never been nothing new. What's new is America's opinion in general is rapidly changing.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This may have had something to do with it.

from the article
    They may not have asked him to quit, but if it drove others to quit, it may have been damaging to the company. There's no way to tell as of yet whether he was coerced into quitting.

10. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

the guy quit on his own, NO ONE forced him out, Chic-Fil-A had backlash & the guy did not quit or close shop.
    no one to "blame" here.

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

12. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

"Be tolerant, or else..."

You gotta love this.

Actually, I don't. A vocal minority has taken public opinion and discourse hostage.
    This has never ended well...

-t

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

He was a liability to the business, so the other board members stepped in, Free Markets working.:D

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You mean the bigots who seem to think they're in the majority? You're really having a hard time accepting the fact that the solid majority of Americans support gay rights aren't you? I'm sorry that you spend so much time hating other people, it's truly a sad and terrible way to live your life. I truly wish you all the best and hope that one day you can let go of the bitterness.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I don't think that's true for a minute.

There are 40 million black Americans according to the 2010 Census. That is 12.3 percent of the population, and the overwhelming majority of Blacks have no love for gay rights, gay marriage or gay anything.

53 million hispanics in the USA; 17% perfect of the population, and again, the majority have little affection for homosexuals.

That right there is 30% of the population, and most of your urban, mostly lefty democratic cities.

Then you have the entire bible belt of white Americans. No gay love there.

The midwest of Utah, Idaho, Montana. Not much gay love there.

Asians, Muslims, Jews, that's another block without much gay love.

This whole idea of mass gay acceptance is a myth repeated enough that some people actually think it's true.

16. vega07 macrumors 65816

LOL. :rolleyes:

Citations please. Talk about conjuring up numbers right from one's behind.

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_opinion_of_same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_States#Polls_in_2014

18. iBlazed, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That's a whole new level of burying your head in the sand without any citations. Especially the bit about Jews. Have you ever even met any Jews? They're known for their support of gay rights and other liberal causes in the US. I live in an area with a relatively high Jewish population compared to the rest of the US and I can assure you that their support for gay rights is practically unanimous. Unless you're referring to the orthodox, who make up a minority of American Jews, who are already a minority to begin with.

Source
    83% to be exact. Which is no shocker being that many American Jews families came here to escape persecution by European Christians who were also persecuting gays.

Also:
    So everything you said is pretty much wrong.

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Yes, I am referring mostly to the Orthodox arm of Judaism, which is growing due to immigration and very low birth rate among Reform Judaism.

Read more: http://forward.com/articles/187429/...faster-than-first-figure/?p=all#ixzz2xzYFD7Nr

20. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

21. APlotdevice, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I suppose the relaxed interpretation of scripture (which was arguably more relaxed than Christianity to begin with*) does pose a problem for Reform Jews going forward. Neither I, my brother, nor any of my cousins practice the religious traditions of our forbears. Not even the three whose mother is a Rabbi. In fact most younger people I know who came from a Jewish family are atheists or, at most, agnostic.

*The idea of "eternal damnation" for ones sins has never been accepted by mainstream Judaism.

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's not a matter of trying to invalidate your point, but this cause of gay marriage is primarily the concern of white liberals. They are 90% of the weight behind it with most other groups not buying it.

I can google "gay marriage rally" and 90% of the images will be as white as a Klan rally only with rainbow flags. Kinda odd considering 63% of the country is white.

A Washington Post/ABC News poll from February–March 2014 found a record high of 59% of Americans approve of same-sex marriage, with only 34% opposed and 7% with no opinion. That should in theory encompass swaths of minority groups.

Where are the Blacks? Hispanics? Asians? Muslims? You don't see them. You know why? Because those groups are overwhelmingly NOT down with gay marriage.

This premise of wide support is an oft repeated falsehood for people who don't get out much.

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You keep repeating this but failing to provide citations for your assumptions. Time for bed now, looking forward to reading your reply in the morning.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I think it's only a problem to the extent that Reform Jews don't reproduce, so the vacuum will inevitably be filled with Jew immigrants which tend to skew Orthodox. This will change Jewish self perception, politics, and social views over the next decade or so.

When I was in Brooklyn College, the Orthodox kids always came from massive families. The reform Jews were only children a lot of the time.

Off topic though.

25. APlotdevice, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well there are quite a few Blacks and Hispanics in this crowd.

Also, if you look up "traditional marriage rally" you get mostly white people as well. Random pictures on the internet don't prove much of anything.