U.S.-China Climate Deal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Nov 12, 2014.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I still need to get up to speed on this, but I figured the thread needed to be started.

First impression: thank goodness someone is actually trying to address the issue. As I've said in previous Climate Change threads, the discussion about whether Climate Change is real or not is far, far less interesting than the topic of how we (and the international community) will deal with the problem.

How nice to move on to that topic.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Apparently Republicans are already railing against it.

So I wouldn't get any hopes up for any treaty ratifications.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It seems to be an agreement with goals, not a treaty. So, it is basically unenforceable. However, that won't stop Republicans from complaining about the war on coal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/12/world/asia/china-us-xi-obama-apec.html?_r=0

5. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

That Obama! What a negotiator!

So, according to the article, we reduce our emissions by up to 28% by 2025, meanwhile China agrees that their emissions will stop climbing by 2030:

As part of the agreement, Mr. Obama announced that the United States would emit 26 percent to 28 percent less carbon in 2025 than it did in 2005. That is double the pace of reduction it targeted for the period from 2005 to 2020.

China’s pledge to reach peak carbon emissions by 2030, if not sooner, is even more remarkable. To reach that goal, Mr. Xi pledged that so-called clean energy sources, like solar power and windmills, would account for 20 percent of China’s total energy production by 2030.​

This is a good deal?! China already pumps out 25% of the world's CO2 compared to the US's 16%.

A fair deal would have had China pledging to reduce their emissions, not continue raising them!

Probably that cardshark Obama tried his "don't call my bluff!" threat again. That would explain it.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Very poorly negotiated but China wasn't going to agree to reduce their emissions in any case. China doesn't have to do anything until 2030 while the US has to finish it's reduction by 2025. Lets see a show of hands from those people who actually think that China is going to honor it's agreement in 2030 ? Another problem is that China can increase it's emissions as much as it wants till 2030 and then only has to cap it at that amount (China will probably be at over 40% of the worlds emissions at that point).

7. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

If the U.S. puts in a good faith effort to lead the way?

It's possible. [hand shown]

If the U.S. doesn't honor its commitment ... then no.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you want a better deal it has to be at least plausible that Obama will get something on climate change through Congress.

----------

Of course. As shown over the past 35 years China has a record of getting things done.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

The US should not make any deals with China.
    They invade ridiculous 3rd world sh*tholes like Afghanistan and Iraq, but make deals with the worst violators of human rights in pretty much all of history. China is a tyrannny and the enemy. No deal should be made with China. They have to deal with their polution themselves.
    ***** China!

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How is post-Maoist China "the worst violators of human rights in pretty much all of history"?

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

If China economy fails, our economy fails. And the same vice versa.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

Seriously?
    They send people back to North Korea if they catch them "escaping". Work conditions? Freedom of religion? Torture? Pollution? Ongoing occupation and genocide of the Tibetan people? Ever googled "human rights china"?

14. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Thank God someone is fighting the B.S.

China needs to stop polluting, for a cleaner environment but stop with the climate change (man made) lies.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

Then work on making your economy independent from that dictatorship.

The US government behaves like the idiot schoolyard bully. They pick on the weak (and get beaten up) like Iraq, Afghanistan and Iran, but if they meet face to face with the really bad people they bend over like a bitch. It's just pathetic! :mad:

----------

I agree. China needs to stop polluting anyway, if their communist robots still want to be able to breath. There is no need to bargain with these *****!

16. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Yeah, I think they would eventually get around to it on their own, but their pollution does affect neighboring countries. I would think they would try to push them first.

17. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

People.

I think the word you're looking for is "people".

As in, "There is no need to bargain with these people!"

Even then I still wouldn't agree with your opinion.

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Start building dozens of nuclear reactors all over the United States.

Pros:

a. Thousands of shovel-ready jobs.
    b. Massively reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
    c. Reduce our reliance on foreign oil.

Cons:

a. There are no cons.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

You are the kind of person who would refere to genocidal scumbag dictators as "people".
    **** this scum!

Just to point out the obvious: I am not talking about the innocent chinese population. I am talking about the dictators there.

20. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I agree, mostly. I think there are some small cons. It would displace some workers, but employ new (other) workers. It wouldn't happen over night so I don't think it's a big deal.

I wish we would invest in nuclear.

21. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

lol

22. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I know the libs are loving it.

23. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Ain't that the U.S?

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yes?

25. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

U.S companies have huge parts of their production chain in China, employing millions of Chinese and providing Americans with all of the affordable goods that they've become accustomed to. You're pretty much asking them to tear apart their businesses models and punish millions of Chinese people by putting them out of work, because the rulers of the country treat the people badly? It seems to be that that would punish the citizens of China more than the rulers... Also, it wouldn't be possible without massive government intervention, which I thought you were against?