U.S. companies invest overseas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Merkava_4, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's not at all surprising. Reagan, both Bushes and even Clinton's NAFTA have destroyed the middle class. When there's no possibility for upward mobility why would anyone invest in the US?

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep. We're toast. And this is just the beginning.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

With an attitude like this, yes some of us are. :p

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What do you propose as a solution?

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Turn off the news and live life. We went from a AAA rating to AA+ or whatever. Who cares? Letters shouldn't matter to us. Attitude should. I'm still going to go work my butt off regardless of the credit rating and as long as there are consumers out there willing to pay for my services (which there are) then I'm fine. I didn't flip out with the credit rating and run to my stocks and pull out. Wait a little while and news will come out that we are better now and stocks will go back up again. We survived the great depression didn't we? It's all attitude.

I live in Texas and you know what? Things are pretty darn good here. We are resourceful and we don't give up. We also have a heck of an economist as governor. Might be why Exxon is moving their 345 acre headquarters within 2 miles of me.

While the rest of the country is running around with their tails between their legs most of us are using common sense, looking around and seeing needs and fulfilling those needs. The economy is a game. If the news said that outlook is positive, people would buy more stocks, open more businesses and stimulate the economy themselves. When you say doom is imminent then that is exactly what happens because people freak out.

I, as well as many of my fellow neighbors, refuse to look doom in the eye and instead go about life in a positive and prosperous manner.

7. leekohler, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah- here we go again. The rest of us are just lazy and need an attitude adjustment. There couldn't be any other reason for the economy being in trouble.

As for your governor- he's a frickin' right wing religious nut job who doesn't do much to make me feel too positive.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/08/07/Video_Rick_Perry_s_Remarks_at_The_Response_Event/

Just lovely.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Never said that. But freaking out or saying we are toast doesn't solve anything, Lee. Read my signature. You're stronger than thinking we are toast. The only thing that should be toast is the media and their mass hysteria antics.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

My personal attitude is that I can do anything I want. However, to ignore that there are things beyond our immediate control is quite simply naive.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I suppose the rest of us Americans ought to just shut up and become a little bit more resourceful (or "Texan", as you like to call it), so that we too can have Big Oil invest in our state. :rolleyes:

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If he's such a good economist, why did he need Obama stimulus money to balance your state budget?

12. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Yes, because if he is not a left-wing basket case then you don't agree with them. Am I correct with this statement? I believe so. This is what I conclude from reading your posts here.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

:rolleyes:

Watch the video. It speaks for itself.

And I can't control what you think of me, nor do I care.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

In his defense, taking Obama's stimulus money was a last resort. He tried praying to Jeebus first and when that didn't work, he had no other options left.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Accepting the funds is viewed as good economics after the hoopla over others doing the same is done. ;)

Remember, when you're a politician it doesn't matter what the actual record is, it matters how you brand the argument and keep repeating over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....

USA, the land where if you say it enough, it actually becomes true (as long as there is money to be made).

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

there has never been a politician that said ... no thanks, no gravy for me please :cool:

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Please, he's a ****ing hypocrite.

Link

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He's a douchebag, is what he is.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Governor of Florida already denied high speed rail funds (that probably didn't make much sense given the planned routes).

The upside to accepting funds is the job creation, the downside is sometimes the projects aren't well thought out in how they will work with everything else.

20. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I agree with Renewed on most of the things he said. Turn off the news and live. America will be fine, we're just not in a good place at the moment. Big oil will be dead in the first half of this century. Invest in solar power, i just bought some Trina solar company stocks 15 minutes ago. Definitely a good time to buy stocks.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

A positive attitude is always a good thing to have. I just don't think ignoring problems helps anyone though.

And yes, buy stocks. ;)

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Good attitude is fine, but it does nothing but sweep the upcoming plight of the poor and not well off under the rug.

Also, big oil will NOT be dead anytime soon. Not until we find some magical substance to make everything we use today.

23. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Here's the thing though, whether we find a substitute or not, the planet is almost out of oil. At the moment we're pretty much scraping what's left of it from the bottom, it's becoming scarce and most people are failing to realize that. I'm taking my environmental science final tomorrow so all this stuff is fresh in my mind. We've reached our oil production peak, it's all down hill from here. Big oil doesn't have much time left.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Or keep the news on and live a lil' more educated.

There is a middle ground between chicken little and burying one's head in the sand.

Lethal

25. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Of course there is. Problem is that people get too wrapped up in the news and instead of starting up a business or investing in the stock market, they live in fear.