U.S. condemns reported Iran death sentence for former U.S. Marine

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by renewed, Jan 9, 2012.

1. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Link

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Pretty blatant he was a member of the CIA, he admitted as much, and apparently went on a mission there. His excuse was that he "didn't want to hurt Iran".

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Not sure if you are being sarcastic but I'll bite. My understanding is that is what the Iranians *said* he confessed to. Anyway, Iranian courts are pretty medieval and even if he did "confess" its probably as accurate as the confession of a witch after being dunked in water in Salem.

That being said, why oh why do Americans still visit Iran--or anywhere even near that country? I'm sure he'll eventually be released in exchange for something--that seems to be the MO of Iran these days.

4. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

False Admission to charges in a foreign country is nothing new.

Doesn't mean anything.

Granted with his background and heading to iran.. He almos had this coming

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is sad for him (and his family), whether he was a spy or not, although if he was, then one supposes he knew the risks for which he was signing. The Iranians shoot themselves in the foot with this stuff by their miserable failure to have a credible judicial system. Of course there are American spies in Iran, whether this guy, that Saberi woman, or any other specific example was actually a spy. I don't think anyone would really dispute the claim that there are American operatives working undercover in Iran, like there most certainly are in most other places of interest. But Iran offers these kangaroo court proofs of it, and it opens the door for any foreign power involved to cry out that an atrocity happened, since "atrocity" and "justice" are indistinguishable in Iran.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Former marine of Iranian heritage. Sounds like a prime subject to use for CIA operations so I can see Iran's suspicion. The US also does similar things sans execution so there's not really a leg to stand on.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Excessivly harsh.

I will agree that he was either extremely naive, or he was drinking the CIA cider.

Either way, not a wise Life-choice.

And "fighting against God" in that country could be as simple as translating Arabic accurately.

A.K.A. shoot the messenger.