U.S. Congress Opposes United Nations Internet Treaty

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kavika411, Dec 11, 2012.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

While we are on the subject of UN treaties:

link

And from Huffington Post:

I'm having trouble finding non-blog-ish articles. (I've somehow been living under a rock on this issue until today. Mods - please trash this if there is a like thread. I looked back three pages but didn't see one.) Here is a generic query for those of you wanting to read more.

I'm curious whether PRSI'ers would prefer the internet stay fairly US-centric, or that it be "brought under" (for lack of a better phrase) the United Nations. Surely a UN treaty would be harmless.

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The UN better check themselves before they wreck themselves. I'm glad our congress can at least agree on something. This is absurd. The internet was meant to be a digital wild west, I love it the way it is and would hate to see it change.

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The General consensus from Europe, is no one like the Status Quo, but nobody has a better plan.:eek:

Russia had already withdrawn it's plan for UN oversite, when it was apparent that there would not be enough support.

(Reuters) - A Russia-led coalition on Monday withdrew a proposal to give governments new powers over the Internet, a plan opposed by Western countries in talks on a new global telecom treaty.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/10/us-telecom-treaty-russia-idUSBRE8B913L20121210

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The only thing that the government should control is preventing ISP's from putting bandwidth caps like the cellular companies have......

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

And insure net neutrality.

6. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

7. AhmedFaisal, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Please explain. What part of the Status Quo does "no one like"?

I know that for a long time European telephone monopolies didn't like it, but, surely they have gotten over that by now? :confused:

How does the U.S. have an effective chokehold on the net?

And, key internet governance bodies already function like NGOs. What, specifically, don't you like?

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Aside from controlling domain names, what control does the U.S. have over the internet? It seems that individual countries are free to block content they don't like. The U.S. can take down gambling sites that reach the U.S. for example, but does not try to block those sites from coming up in other countries where online gambling is legal.

The U.S. is far from perfect, but U.N. oversight would be several orders of magnitude worse.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

From a European point of view the fact that ICANN is seen as a part of the US Government.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICANN

Like I stated the Europeans would like this to change, but the problem is that they cannot agree among themselves. Another point is it's better left like it is, than change it for something worse.

It is the same reasoning why Europe is sending it's own GPS satellite system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_(satellite_navigation)

There is just a very healthy distrust of any thing American in nearly all European capitals.

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

And an increasing number of cable Internet providers too.

Satellite internet providers should probably be allowed to keep their caps, since there is a significant bottleneck there.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Nice to know xenophobia is alive and well in the old world. :rolleyes:

It's amazing how Europeans have the audacity to call Americans ignorant and xenophobic. It's the pot calling the kettle black.

13. eric/ Guest

eric/

Glad they oppose this.

Essentially ICANN is in charge of issuing domains or whatever, and they are based in the US.

Russia and other malignant countries want to pull that control away from a US based institution since it's not currently ran by the government. If this were to happen they be able to gain further control of the Internet and oppress their citizens.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well I guess we'll just have to take your word on that.

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

From your links i gather that the middle east hates us (who woulda though) and that europeans are basically split. Seems like everyone who hates us also expects us to help them. Good thing we're a thick skinned people.

Would you at least admit that Europe has a serious xenophobia issue? I see it a lot from the European members on PRSI.

16. Happybunny, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States–European_Union_relations

Although not quite up to date this gives some of the friction points.

It's not that we hate American people, it's just we hate the way America thinks of the whole world as it's little toy.
    Just think of this a large percentage of of your own population does not trust your own government, why the hell would we want to trust them?

17. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If an ISP has bandwidth issues, it's because their infrastructure is a POS.

I don't mind the cellular companies and satellite internet providers having a cap as you said, there is a significant bottleneck in those areas. What I have an issue with the cell companies is I think for the money, I am not getting much data in return( I don't ever come close to using 2 GB per month, but I don't think $30 for 2 GB is a good value) and if I want to tether, I have to pay more just to tether and still use 2 GB( I know with the new shared plans tethering is included, but I refuse to switch to those plans due to it being a bad deal for an individual)....... I could agree with charging more for tethering if I was still on unlimited data. But, since I am paying for 2 GB of data, allow me to use it the way I want to.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

LOL - but seriously, please stop writing in read. I get migraines....

19. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

As my zeal for the US to pull troops out of everywhere has grown in recent years, I have found myself whispering at times, "And we need to stop giving foreign aid to other countries." But with that second part, I feel a tinge of guilt, knowing that some countries are very dependent upon our aid, our technology, etc., and I think that maybe I'm being too selfish.

And then I read:

And then I go back to saying No Aid Ever, and I sleep well at night.

20. AhmedFaisal, Dec 11, 2012
  21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

OK it's a deal no more RED:D

Given the fact that your government did not respond super fast to Hurricane Sandy, that no aid ever seems to be working.:eek:

22. kavika411, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Could not agree with you more. The more you write, Happybunny, all the more strongly my belief - and a lot of other people's beliefs - that we should spend every dollar here is solidified. Your comments are like a conservative's wet dream for justifying the US being an island unto ourselves.

Yes, Ahmed. No aid to/control over Israel. If they make Palestine a parking lot, that is their business.

23. AhmedFaisal, Dec 11, 2012
  24. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Please if this was Republican policy I would come to America and Vote for it.:D

A world free from American interference, and no more "Here comes Honey Boo Boo" :D