U.S. drops Baghdad electricity reports

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 27, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

LA Times

i can't even imagine what would happen in the US if people got only 1 or 2 hours of electricity a day.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

How many years has it been now?

I'm sure this has absolutely nothing to do with bushco's lack of a post war plan. The Iraqis were going to great us with open arms! Instead, a bunch of rabid Saudis and more than a few Iranians came rushing through the open borders.

What were they thinking?

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I imagine the average electricity bill would somehow find a way to cost the same.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe I missed it in the article, but how long was the power on before we went into Iraq?

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

from what i understand, it's yet to get back to pre-war levels. in fact, i'm not even sure it *was* a problem before the invasion.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Some googling shows me that on average Baghdad residents got 16 hours of power before the war.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0210/p01s03-woiq.html

Having next-to-no power is a pretty dire situation. I think that most americans have no concept of life without electricity.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Only for Iraqis. :rolleyes: I'm sure they deserve it or something. I'm just loving that this used to be something the neocons raved about, how we kept the electricity on (kinda). Now that we aren't (not that we really were) they simply stop reporting it. I'm sure that'll make it all go away.

9. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Interestingly, I've heard from an engineer who went to Iraq and he was telling me how they try to rebuild infrastructure, but insurgents keep causing work to stop and then happily shift the blame the United States for not doing enough to get things working.

He didn't work on the power grid but I think there's more to the lack of electricity that residents get than just the contractors not doing their job over there. I support the idea of local Iraqis businesses building their own infrastructure to keep the money from it in Iraq but the active sabotage of outside contractors' efforts at restoration of basic services is something that isn't all the United States' fault.

10. Queso macrumors G4

The United States is to blame. The Iraqi resistance wouldn't even exist now if the post-invasion period had been handled correctly.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think that's unrealistic. No matter how well the post-invasion period went, there would still be a significant number of people opposed to occupation and a significant number of people who were better off before.

This has definitely been a disaster benchmark for the U.S., which is obviously why they are dropping it. They've given up.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You're correct, for the most part, however, the failure of the US to secure Iraq and its borders is what created this problems.

In the end it doesn't matter what the reason is, only that the US has failed to provide Iraqis with electricity.

Like Powell said, "You break it, you buy it."

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

14. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

No, Iraqis have prevented other Iraqis from allowing the US to provide them with electricity.

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

who do you think the iraqis blame? and whose opinion matters the most?

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wait a second- who invaded who's country with no plan for rebuilding or security? When you go in and destroy a country, who's job is it to fix it again? Are you f***ing kidding me?

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Really?

Can you provide a justification for your statement?

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

maybe he's talking about this:

NY Times report

19. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Well, when it was happening regularly in the Philipines, I didn't hear any of you complaining about it.

I guess our troops have to be plumbers, electricians, etc. in addition to being their police. When have I ever overestimated the ability for Arabs to take care of even the most fundamental human needs without having a gun pointed at them?

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Well, you'd assume the indiginous populace would have a vested interest in doing some of it without having a micro management plan in place. But we know what these people excel in and it ain't fixing things.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yep, it's sort of hard to take over facilities when you have no way to manage them much less pay what's necessary to keep them running.

Let's face it, the US destroyed Iraq. Not from the initial war but from the lack of a post war plan. The naivety of the neo cons is so astounding, it makes me wonder what kind of an ivory tower they inhabit. Considering hardly any of them have ever served in the military, it's not surprising that they had absolutely no clue about how to manage the aftermath.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about Powell and how he got sidelined. Probably the only person who understood what was going on but bush felt loyalty was more important than intelligence. What a waste.

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Don't forget to give credit to the neoprogressives in congress who not only authorized the war, but now have the majority and haven't changed a thing.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That would be thanks to Republican "obstructionists", to use their own term. Don't worry, they'll get what they deserve.

When an invading force can't even secure the borders, what the indigenous people want really has nothing to do with it, and you know it.

24. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Cough—veto—Cough

Since we recently bombed the Philippines in an effort to free the people from a dictator, right? :rolleyes:

And they were doing this before we bombed them and took responsibility, were they? :rolleyes:

25. Queso macrumors G4

I thought Halliburton was being paid gigantic amounts of American taxpayers money to act as plumbers, electricians etc. If the customer service from any other organisation was so bad any American would demand a refund under threat of legal action. Why should this be different?

As for your opinions on Arabs, they have as much validity as the rest of your political opinions.