U.S. intelligence mining data from 9 Internet companies in broad secret program

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can't say I'm surprised.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...0c0da8-cebf-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_story.html

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I do not like the news of these domestic spying stories coming out.

Kinda unsettling

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Not... good... at... all.

Not even sure of what to say, other than "Hello, CIA and NSA!"

I have been told in very oblique terms that "they already know" but I've never wanted to believe it.

4. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Maybe the Government can finally make us all safe.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

What could possibly go wrong?

"Total Information Awareness"

The steady rise in available computer power and the development of novel computer platforms has enabled NSA to easily turn the huge volume of incoming data into an asset to be exploited, for the good of the nation. (Or so they claim...)

[​IMG]

NSA's Utah Data Center, code-named Bumblehive, is the first Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cyber-security Initiative (IC CNCI) data center designed to support the Intelligence Community's efforts to monitor, strengthen and protect the nation.

The Utah Data Center is currently under construction and is expected to open in October 2013. The 1.5 billion-dollar one million square-foot Bluffdale / Camp Williams facility will house a 100,000 sq-ft mission critical data center. The remaining 900,000 SF will be used for technical support and administrative space. Other supporting facilities include water treatment facilities, chiller plant, power substations, vehicle inspection facility, visitor control center, and sixty diesel-fueled emergency standby generators and fuel facility for a 3-day 100% power backup capability.

Data Storage Capacity

The storage capacity of the Utah Data Center will be measured in "zettabytes". What exactly is a zettabyte? There are a thousand gigabytes in a terabyte; a thousand terabytes in a petabyte; a thousand petabytes in an exabyte; and a thousand exabytes in a zettabyte. Some of our employees like to refer to them as "alottabytes".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.