U.S. intelligence now says Benghazi attack "deliberate and organized"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Sep 28, 2012.

1. MacNut, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/28/us-usa-libya-intelligence-idUSBRE88R1EG20120928

So why did it take 3 weeks to admit that this was a planed attack while the administration was still claiming the youtube video was the cause. How must of this is campaign related vs just ineptness in the government.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Can you explain why it matters?

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought we fixed the issues with the government agencies not talking to each other sharing intelligence, This just appears to be more of the same. Rumors were surfing that weekend that this was a planed attack so why did it take 3 weeks for this admission.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't know.

I remember Rachel Maddow talking about it being an organized attack and not a random mob riot a day or so after the incident.

But again, the question is what does it matter if the Obama Administration waited three weeks or not? What is the tangible harm that has come from this?

Help me understand, because right now I don't get it.

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Was this a election decision not to say terrorism and instead use the YouTube video as a scapegoat. Why wait 3 weeks.

6. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

All I know is Obama needs to find the perpetrators BEFORE the election and kill them.

7. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Why can't both be true?

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Because its hard to believe there are enough idiots in the world to protest this turd of a movie let alone kill over it... oh wait we are talking about people who worship invisible entities and a historical warmonger. Never mind.

9. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Obtuse much?

Apologist Obama chose to immediately blame a then barely-known American YouTube video for Christopher Stevens murder on 9/11. (Let me note that date again - 9/11.) His dumbass decision to do so is what caused the barely-known video to go airborne around the world and cause rioting, both faux and real.

Maybe that doesn't "matter" to you. It does to the rest of the world.

10. citizenzen, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Here is the video of Obama's statement September 12, 2012, the day following the attack. At no point does he mention the movie as the cause for the attack. Anchorman George Stephanopoulos, on the other hand, clearly cites the movies as the cause both before and after Obama's statement.

This refutes your claim that Obama brought attention to a "barely-known video". It's hard to describe something is "barely-known" when the anchor of one of the major news networks brings it up as the cause of the violence.

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The Obama administration cannot side with sane, rational people here - that would be seen as anti Muslim.

Anyone who ever thought this was the result of random response to the video are simply still in denial that we are at war.

The Islamist extremists won this propaganda battle, as they generally do. We refuse to fight them for the minds and hearts.

The damage is done.

We don't have the guts to retaliate either... Watch. It will be angry rhetoric and posturing. Nothing more.

12. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

I find several things odd with atheists.

1) They always say the same thing, more or less. Variants thereof. Unicorns, fairy tales, invisible entities. It's almost like they're reading from a script(ure) or towing a party line. Or maybe they are just programmed. Is odd though.

2) For all the high talk of 'science' 'logic' and 'reason' (actually, to be fair most don't really talk of this. They just imply it by denying their opponents have it and positioning themselves above them) you never get any of it.

Never yet met an atheist ready to engage or actually argue logically. Much like Xian fundies in this regard. Separated at birth / evil twin sort of thing going on there I think.

3) It always comes down to some sort of mockery and schoolyard name-calling in the final analysis. It ain't exactly logic.

I sometimes imagine with a chill if Darwin had not really spent so much time outlining his theory but instead just published a few pages saying 'na na nan you morons and your invisible maniac...I have a new theory you losers but I'm going to talk about unicorns hahahah suckers'.

Luckily he was in a bit of a different league to the current crew.

Anyway to the issue: Oh wait there isn't one as you didn't address the reason why they could not be both at the same time...this is what I'm talking about. Classic case......a somewhat lame rant about religion (which has nothing to do with my statement at all) and not addressing my point to refute it in the least.

Didn't go anywhere near it. You want to try to address it? We can start over....

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

What statement by the President are you referring to?

And, why do people think it is so easy to figure out exactly what happened?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/world/africa/security-fears-hobble-inquiry-of-libya-attack.html?ref=world&gwh=56C39A91D583CECDA098DB0BCD2859EE

14. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

So anyone who isn't outright against Muslims is insane and/or irrational? That's cute. Nice phrasing.

Anyone who thinks we're at war lacks some major insight. There's nothing about hating America, freedom, or the West in Islam or their beliefs. On the other hand, hatred of occupation, of having beliefs imposed, and killing of innocents (whether intentional or not) is fairly universal among people.

Imagine for a moment if another country did to us (America) what we're doing to that region. Do you think that we would stand for it? Hell no, we'd be doing something similar to what they're doing.

Our continued actions over there serve to anger people. Not surprising. But then, when they speak out against what we're doing, or when they take up arms because they feel that nobody is listening, you and others like you insist that they're the enemy, and that we must eliminate them. Reasoning that they take up arms because they hate us for being us is foolish. How about we pull back from the region and stop wasting our money and our soldiers' lives?

15. gibbz macrumors 68030

God forbid the administration obtain all the facts before spouting the terrorist angle.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No one is talking about logic or reason or any of the other points you addressed. We are talking about a bunch of idiots protesting a movie and causing deaths due to it. Their justification: some ******** text crafted hundreds of years ago outlining some stupid concept of a god that a 12 year old could see through.

How do we have so many adults that believe in this ****? :confused:

17. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

The sad fact is that there is an Unholy Alliance of loose 'allies' all with their own agendas and who are co-operating in the post-911 environment to achieve their individual ends in a form of 'Axis of Evil'.

The players are all pretty transparent:

*) US factions of Fundamentalist Xians: anti-Islam agenda & Dispensationalist Armageddon lunatics.

*) US Israel Lobby: distract from Palestinian issue and Peace process

*) US military: general war. It's what Militaries do.

*) Israel: Palestinian issue avoidance and rampant paranoia

*) Saudi Arabia (and Qatar, Bahrain etc): Spreading Wahabi / Salafist agenda. Remove threats to it like Iran, Syria, Libya etc.

So when a film like this gets made it plays down all the levels.

Islamophobe makes a film = Racist and Islamophobic agenda
    Israelis or possibly US Intel fund film = propaganda agenda
    Wahabis alert Jihadists about film - Stirs up violence, makes converts, = Wahabi agenda

And on and on...everybody wins.

Oh...except the victims.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I can't believe that with all the tensions building for decades across the world, piled on with economic stresses of today, that you truly think the video is why these people are in the streets.

The western media is ****ing awful. It makes people accept pathetically simple answers to complex problems :(

19. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

You're doing it again.

I said it could be both.

You started ranting about religion.

Now you're doing it again.

Religion is not the issue in my answer: we are talking about how the raid could be planned weeks prior to the release of the film and simultaneously be linked to the film (though obviously not in a 'spontaneous' way).

If you want to go into an analysis of the Qur'an and Islamic theological exegesis then start a thread about it. I might even post in it but - to steal your phrase - a 12 year old could probably demolish your arguments. If you offer any - not seen any so far just insults.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Give me a break:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2012/09/20129219618263113.html

"Love the Prophet Day"

Cavemen.

----------

Id rather go into the analysis of the Harry Potter series, its just about as realistic.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No, but when I see christians protesting abortion clinics and against gays I think pretty much the same thing.

I don't harbor hate when I drive by a mosque either, as long as they keep their child like beliefs to themselves.

23. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Still no argument offered or any logical position. If you were in Higher Education - even in Atheism 101 - you would be failing. Epically. As indeed you are here.

The point of a forum is this:

1) Someone puts forth a proposition
    2) Other people counter it
    3) People learn things. (or not).

You haven't done #1. You haven't even put forth a counter argument to other people who put forth a #1.

It seems somewhat odd. And vaguely amusing - the cavemen you refer to (I am assuming you mean Muslims in general) are responsible for much of your language, science, mathematics and medicine.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Religion isn't a prerequisite for any of these. I don't put forth a proposition because it has already been beaten to death on these forums, theres no real point. You will go on believing in invisible gods (or allahs) and I will live in reality where a bunch of cavemen burn buildings and kill people for insulting a dead guy and an invisible god.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Most issues have been "beaten to death" in these forums. The point of being here is to engage in discussion, whether or not it has been discussed previously. Unless, of course, you're just here to vent.