Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This morning marked the U.S. launch of the iPhone 3G, and it is proving to be an impressive launch indeed. Our members have been meeting up at various Apple and AT&T stores and sharing their impressions and photos.

Turnout appears to be heaviest at Apple's retail locations, however many AT&T locations still be managing to sell out in under an hour. At stores where stock has run out AT&T is accepting orders that will arrive within the next few days.

101403-clarendon3g_200.jpg

101904-iphonematt_3g_columbus_200.jpg

Lines from Clarendon, VA, and Columbus, OH, courtesy of blakespot and iphonematt.

Reports have also indicated that activation issues may be slowing down the process. A number of people have reported that Apple has simply let them go home to finish the activation process.

Article Link

airlights

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Henderson, NV
Well, that settles it! I am going to the Apple Store verses my local AT&T store. (I have a feeling that my sister is going to kill me for saying this.)

humanliberty

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
Didn't get mine today. Waited for 2 hours total :(

At least I had my iPhone with me while standing in line, to keep me updated about how people were doing while standing in line for the iPhone.

jersey

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Their draconian activation rules have unsurprisingly come back to bite them in the ass. I feel sorry for everyone waiting but not for Apple or AT&T

techage14

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2007
California
that sucks.
I want to get the iPhone, but, the lines are not worth waiting for.
I'll wait about a month or two to see what the general public has to say about
the new iPhone

balwx

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
awesome. cant wait to install 2.0 on my touch & hit the app store. i have downloaded some already..

kiteskiutah

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
MacRumors said:
Reports have also indicated that activation issues may be slowing down the process. A number of people have reported that Apple has simply let them go home to finish the activation process.

What does this mean? Is apple letting people get the phone without completing the 2 year contract?

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
An hour and a half before open, there were about 40 people in front of my town's only AT&T store and its not in 3G coverage area. I can wait a few days and enjoy 2.0 on my existing phone until then :)

jazzkids

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2004
Providence, RI
Providence Ri. Must take it home to activate.

[update]

Got the phone. was able to activate it in store but it was a nightmare trying to checkout! Took another hour to checkout once I got in the store. You'd think that they'd have this down by now.

divi996tt

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Got The Phone

It was chaos inside the ATT store in Louisiana. I got the phone and was sent home to activate it through Itunes.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
Don't know about you, but back when I bought the first iPhone, it was a nightmare trying to get it activated. I felt that iTunes was OK, but working with AT&T ultimately proved to be problematic for many people like me for whom activation just wouldn't work, and so Apple is to blame as well. A person with my experience would not want to leave the store without a working, activated 3G iPhone. Hearing about them sending people home, therefore, is bad news.

In a few days, we'll start hearing about the activation nightmares involving the new iPhone. And unlike me, there will probably be tons of people who feel too angry about this hiccup to give the iPhone a second chance. I stuck with it, but frankly, it should "just work."

jklps

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2007
Didn't get mine today. Waited for 2 hours total :(

At least I had my iPhone with me while standing in line, to keep me updated about how people were doing while standing in line for the iPhone.

Which store did you go to in the DC area?

jacob6869

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
i am pissed

i am sitting at my computer after att told me to go home and activate it myself. it will not work and i cannot call att. there is about to be some hell raising!!!!!!!!!

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
Don't know about you, but back when I bought the first iPhone, it was a nightmare trying to get it activated. I felt that iTunes was OK, but working with AT&T ultimately proved to be problematic for many people like me for whom activation just wouldn't work, and so Apple is to blame as well. A person with my experience would not want to leave the store without a working, activated 3G iPhone. Hearing about them sending people home, therefore, is bad news.

In a few days, we'll start hearing about the activation nightmares involving the new iPhone. And unlike me, there will probably be tons of people who feel too angry about this hiccup to give the iPhone a second chance. I stuck with it, but frankly, it should "just work."

Seriously this is absolutely inexcusable. This happened last year and it took DAYS for iTunes to be able to activate the phone. How can they possibly not have seen this coming and taken necessary steps? It's been a YEAR! And the AT&T iTunes link doesn't work either, so it's still a fkcing iBrick AGAIN!!@

flipperman75

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
iTunes

Was one of the last to snag a 16 GB Black iPhone at ATT store in downtown DC. Was about 50 back in line. They ended up sending me home to connect to iTunes. No luck so far. Tried a few times and usually got an error; once got a page that said "iPhone activations are down, please try again later". Blah.

apple101

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
New Jersey
its 10:30 now 2 hours since ive been trying to download the new 2.0 software for the ipod can some one please help?

this is what im keep getting as a message
"we could not complete your itunes store request. the itunes store is temporaily unaviable. please try again later" this been coming up for the last 2 hours or so, can some one help me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.