U.S. Justice Department funded Anti-Zimmerman rallies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gsugolfer, Jul 10, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It sounds ridiculous however, I'd take anything put out by Judicial Watch with great suspect.

2. zin macrumors 6502

1. The Daily Mail
    2. Documents published online Wednesday by a conservative watchdog...
    3. The source article does not show any proof that the government agency actively supported protests against Zimmerman. Instead, the source article tells us that the government intervened and provided assistance to state and federal agencies only, described as "technical assitance" and "conciliation", of which they are perfectly within their jurisdiction to do so, as the Community Relations Service is a "...Federal agency dedicated to assist State and local units of government, private and public organizations, and community groups with preventing and resolving racial and ethnic tensions, incidents, and civil disorders, and in restoring racial stability and harmony" by employing conciliators.

Given how sensitive this case may have been in terms of race and ethnicity, it seems to me as though the government agency was doing its job. Nowhere does it state that the government representatives created the protests or were involved in protesting. Additionally, the audio captured has no proof to claim that the Federal agents were the ones who organised the "Dream Defenders" team.

Of course, however, the Daily Mail article appears to imply that the government was the organisation responsible for the manifestation of the protests, which is clearly not substantiated anywhere.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Reading the source article it's apparent to me that efforts of the DOJ were intended to work with the community as well as public officials and law enforcement to prevent racial violence from erupting.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Then they could be viewed as pro-keep-someone-from-shooting-Zimmerman rallies.

Bottom line is that if it's as described in the link, it's wrong for the government to be doing this. If it's coming from a conservative source, most of us know how they love to spin truth into lies for their own nefarious power plays.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's wrong for the government to send agents to work within the community and with law enforcement and city officials to quell racial tensions and potentially violence?

Why is that wrong?

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You misunderstood me. It would be wrong to fund "anti-Zimmerman rallies". That's a term coined by conservative sources. If the intent is calm racial tensions I have no problem with this.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I didn't bother looking at what they initially sourced. I read the daily mail article, just not any tangential links. Sometimes the Daily Mail just rehashes other stories, but they aren't considered a highly credible news source in the UK. They're more of a tabloid similar to the Enquirer here. I know others have referenced it. Just take what you read on there with some amount of skepticism.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

FFS, if a government agency has a webpage that describes exactly what they do, can we really call them "secret?" Especially one that's been around since an act of Congress in 1964?

A quick review of the documents seems to indicate that the DOJ agents went to provide support for the LEO community while meeting with protest leaders, operating as a kind of liaison to ensure peaceful marches.

In other words, totally sane and not "funding Anti-Zimmerman rallies" which appears to be a complete misreading of the documents and CRS's mandate.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

When you said "the link" I couldn't tell whether you meant the Guardian link or the link to the conservative group Judicial Watch.

My apologies for leaping to the wrong conclusion.

I certainly should have given you the benefit of any doubt.

10. iMikeT macrumors 68020

11. gsugolfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

According to the expense accounts, their involvement cost just few thousand dollars.

Are you suggesting that their efforts didn't diffuse a like amount of destruction and/or violence?

Can you source your *shrug*?

13. gsugolfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Didn't get their boy convicted.

14. MegamanX macrumors regular

It is pretty clear you are missing the boat.

They would of and more than likely did work with both sides. They are their coordinating everything between the protestors and the police and other parts of the government. Lets face it the protestors are not going to do that and the local leos have other things on their hands and more than likely stretch really thin. Also chances are the would over react and bring in a lot more force than was needed only making things worse (and increase cost)

This government job reduces cost over all and keeps things from getting out of hand.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Im still confused how this is being portrayed as white on black violence. If a police officer had asked Zimmerman for his immigration papers before this incident the ACLU would be backing his court case as a white on hispanic travesty.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Are you allergic to facts?

Their job isn't to sway the case at all, it's to facilitate peaceful protests and help protest leaders work with local law enforcement to ensure their protests remain peaceful, that there's no racial violence, etc.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your anti-government agenda.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I keep reading how Zimmerman is Hispanic. Am I missing a lot of reports that say he is white?

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This might explain it ...

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

It does and it doesn't. I don't get these "he's not white as the media says he is" posts. What are they trying to prove? If he's not white, he couldn't have seen a black man as a threat because only pure white people are racists? A Hispanic guy can't distrust black men, too?

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It proves we're beyond this whole racial thing.

Uh-huh.

:cool:

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns