U.S. lags behind 41 nations in life span

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 15, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's an Associated Press article. What? Just because it's an AP article on PlanetOut it's a bad source? Sorry- I'm sure that article is in more than a few places.

Here you go. It's the same article in the Chicago Tribune. It's not on a gay website this time, so you can trust it now.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-lifeaug12,0,2630777.story

Here it is on CNN too.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/08/13/life.expectancy.ap/

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

doesn't surprise me one bit. we have a terrible health care system and a workforce that stresses itself too much.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

We have a world class healthcare system and a workforce that not only stresses out too much, but also eats and exercises poorly.

We have a poorly implemented and regulated insurance industry that makes it difficult for some people to fully utilize our world class heath system, but there's nothing lacking here that others have in terms of equipment, expertise or treatment.

6. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

That's true, it's an issue of money. Unfortunately too many people are capitalizing on the health care industry to where many people simply can't get (or afford) proper coverage.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sure we have the people and the equipment. but its not easy to get the treatment you need. hence why i said we have a 'terrible healthcare system'. if people could get the treatments that they needed without going broke or bankrupt from the cost then the system would work.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Which makes your ranking all the worse.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

What did I hear you say? Did I hear you say the evil word "regulated"?

And there are certainly other causes as well. I wonder why the workforce is so stressed out and why insurance isn't regulated. Could it be due at least in part to...hmmm...laissez faire capitalism? ;)

10. calculus Guest

calculus

Is it not because you keep shooting each other?

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't shoot nearly as many people as I'd like to. :D

But seriously, I doubt that's the reason.

12. 66217 Guest

I don't know how the Health Care System is in the United States. But I know pretty well that the lifestyle of most americans is not the best.

-Fast food (in other words, bad eating habits)
    -A lot of stress (work, college, etc) This, in fact, has become a global issue
    -Not sure about this one, but it seems as if making exercise also has decreased, instead, people play more video games , etc.

If I am not mistaken, one of the things that causes more deaths in the USA is obesity. So the only way out, or at least the most important action that needs to be done, is to change the eating habits.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Our relationship with food and excercise is certainly not a healthy one.

14. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Americans need to healthier....

*eats another Funyun*

15. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm going to go a step beyond Swarmie (surprised?) and say that our health care system is perfectly fine.

However, our legal system is broken. It is driving up costs to the health system at such a rate, that to cope, the health system has been forced to price out too many people. Fix the legal, and health will slowly improve.

[Says I as I sit at my desk eating a bit of grocery store sushi :eek:]

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'm sure the number of 14-28 year old inner city urban violence victims don't help the stats. Nor do the 40,000 highway fatilities from alcohol related use either.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Must be the patients who are crap.

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

There are definitely a ton of factors that figure into the life expectancy of 300+ million people. Access to healthcare is one. Nutrition, healthy lifestyle, environment, violence, quality of senior care, pensions, etc. are others. There are many more.

Serious analysis would break out the U.S. population into subgroups and look at which Americans have long life expectancy and which don't, then you'd start to see ways in which there are significant weaknesses. I think you'd find a wide range between the 1st and 5th quintiles.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah yes... it's not the insurance industry's fault. It's the damn trial lawyers. Riiight...

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't even think obesity can be fully to blame. Hell, I'm a bit overweight and just as healthy as anyone else, at least so my doctor says. I have high blood pressure (which is taken care of with medication) but that's hereditary, everyone in my family is it. So I think while obesity is a factor, but just not as big of a one as people think, and I think our poor life expectancy rates can be blamed on the fact that, oh, I'd say maybe a third, of the population either doesn't have health insurance, or has insurance but still can't afford the copays. Give, not sell, people the health care they need and I bet our life expectancy would go way up

21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Did you read the rest of my post? I can see mactastic did.

Follow the money. The insurance industry has to respond to doctor incurred costs and charges. Doctors have to respond to malpractice premiums. Malpractice insurance has to respond to the cost of lawsuits (not cheap) and payouts (also not cheap). Lawsuits are encouraged by trial lawyers, many of whom dance on the edge of the ethical cliff in their goals.

Does the insurance industry crap on a lot of people? Yes. Should their rules be more relaxed, coverage and policies more people-friendly? Yes. Do I think the industry would play a lesser factor if the trail of money didn't end on the door step of ambulance chasers? Yes.

I've seen the costs of malpractice trials to all the parties involved. I've seen juries willing to rule in favor of plaintiffs because "we felt bad for the guy" even though "Oh no, [they] don't think the Dr. did anything wrong."

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

More worrying than life expectancy is infant mortality rates in the US that really is a scandal.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The studies I've seen have only measured native born Americans as immigrants might possibly skew the results.

Our health care system has abandoned its patients. Preventative health care is virtually unknown in the US. Doctors and hospitals are out to treat diseases not prevent them. The states have stepped in to some extent, at least when bushco hasn't quashed their efforts.

The FDA continues to be controlled by the food industry and that certainly adds to the health problems in the US.

I don't think the time is far off when we'll begin to see class action suits against food companies for their meddling in the FDA.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sure I did. I just don't think that if you put the foxes in charge of the chicken coop you can blame the foxes when a few chickens go missing. It's a political and ideological problem.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If you want to follow the money, why don't you also look to big pharma and the insurance industry as well. I don't dispute that rising malpractice costs contribute to the increase in health care costs, but they are not the only, nor even the biggest, place where money pools in this system.

And lets not forget that the hospitals often must charge exorbinate fees to cover the costs of care for the uninsured - whom they are legally obligated to care for despite not being paid for said care. When someone tells you they don't feel like they should have to pay for the uninsured, tell them they already do.