U.S. might kill American terror suspect

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Feb 10, 2014.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

cnn

I guess if you're wrapped up in trying to destroy your own homeland from a foreign country prepare to be targeted. Citizens rights be damned.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I was just reading up on this from NPR as well. If you don't mind, here is their article:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...zen-may-be-targeted-with-drone-strike-reports

I can see the slippery slope on both sides of this. If nothing is done, the person will continue to do this until people die. But we can't do anything until we actively catch him and let due process take its course. But we can't do that until the country he is in allows for any type of extradition.

Conundrums abound in this one.

BL.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The only reason they should kill him is if he presented an immediate danger to an innocent citizens life.

Otherwise, arrest him and put him on trial.

Do we really need to remind Obama how it works?

:rolleyes:

Edit: Now i see this is happening overseas. If he is in a country that refuses to extradite him or put in any good faith effort to find and arrest him, then I can cut Obama at least a small amount of slack.

But only a wee bit.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

King Obama does NOT care how YOU think things work, that is why he passed the NDAA

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Wouldn't it be easier to target one of the accomplices? Collateral damage

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I am not sure that it really is perplexing. What no one, ever, asks about are the underlying concerns that motivate the terrorists and, more importantly, their supporters. As I understand it, bin Laden was rather popular on the other side of the world, because he made an effort to use his wealth to the benefit of locals. And he gained followers (foot soldiers, as it were) because those people felt mistreated or oppressed by al Qaeda's enemy. Why?

"They hate us for our freedom"? Bleah. If terrorists are attacking the US and/or its citizens, it is not because they are just nasty, murderous, evil dudes. We need to understand what it is we are doing that creates terrorists and figure out what we can change in order to stop creating terrorists.

Because, killing terrorists prettymuch does the opposite of making them go away.

7. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Oh, I see, it was OBAMA that personally passed Federal legislation.

Not, you know, Congress. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Authorization_Act

Also, I assume you're talking about NDAA FY 2012, not the NDAA in general (which goes back long before Obama)?

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Who SIGNED it? Are you also going to claim he did not extend the Patriot Act?

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Great, he signed it, but that's not the point. He didn't create the legislation, Congress did. Yet you tried to blame him solely for it.

Even if he vetoed it, it would have been overwritten by the Senate and put into law anyways. The Senate passed the most recent NDAA in 2012 by a 93-7 vote.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Lmfao. Amazing just how far you will go in order to justify that crap.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Amazing how far you will go in order to blame every problem on the face of the earth solely on Obama. :rolleyes:

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

what makes you think I blame SOLELY Obama? all those in favor should be in GITMO as prisoners.
    not blaming Obama for EVERYTHING, that your straw man.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If you want to split hairs that bad, Who signed the Patriot Act?

BL.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How about the same amount of slack that you gave him for Osama bin Mohammed bin Awad bin Laden?

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

a moron who should be in jail, just like Obama.:D

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Since there are some experienced vets on this list, perhaps someone can explain how "unlawful combatants" from your own or an allied country would be handled in a combat situation. I would believe that they would, at best, be treated like regular enemy soldiers. In some cases, presumably, they could be charged with treason.

So, I'm not sure if "American terror suspect" matters much if someone is in a combat situation. This isn't a new phenomenon-- people have been changing sides in war for thousands of years. If you are fighting for the other side, expect to get shot at.

The issue seems to be drones. People are uneasy about drones, even when used in direct combat. And, in a guerrilla warfare, the uneasiness grows. I understand why, but, I don't think drones are going away...