U.S. most armed country

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gauchogolfer, Aug 28, 2007.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

yahoo.com

2. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

First off this needs to be moves to the Social issues section.

Second: Yea! We're number 1!

USA, USA, USA!

Seriously though gaucho, you posted the article you need to also state an opinion to begin a discussion from.

A good point is, no one will ever invade us! It would take the whole world to take down the US. And that is even debatable.

Also, since we make almost all the guns, shouldn't we be the owners of most of them?

Wait, did I just see Finland and Switzerland as 3 and 4 Whaaa?

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I knew that the number of gun owners in the US was a high number, but now I actually feel a little scared. Especially after moving to the LA area and hearing about random people getting shot on the freeways, I hate guns even more.

4. juanm macrumors 65816

Yes, they have lots of guns in Switzerland... all kinds of guns.

5. Queso macrumors G4

From the local news here, I was beginning to think it was our teenagers that owned all the guns. Things have gone seriously crazy in the UK over the past couple of months.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Hmm, we have lots of guns. That must make us bad, dangerous people. :rolleyes:

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I am proud to be one of the 10 out of 100 that does not own a gun.

Gun ownership is absurd. Unless you hunt or live in a rural area with wild animals, there is absolutely no reason to own one.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You'll probably manage it without any help. Mind you don't shoot yourselves in the foot.

9. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Sorry about that, I thought the article would be sufficiently polarizing to get some juices flowing. As for me, I'm in the 10% minority also. I wonder though, how many people own guns, since many of them I'm sure own multiple firearms.

2nd Amendment, ftw.

10. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

That part is significant. It only says 90 guns per 100 people. That does not mean that 90% of the population owns guns. I'm guessing it is more down around 50/50.

I've never even held a real gun and never plan on it in the future.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yay! Another gun thread. We haven't had one of those in a month or so.

12. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I agree with this. I am in Canada but I am sure the same thought is true in the States as well as other countries around the world. My grandfather owns roughly 50 guns, ranging from rifles, to shot guns, muzzle loaders and the like. He is a hunter and has about 2 or 3 he uses for different types of game. The rest are all family heir looms and collectors items. He cleans them then puts them back.

I know of a lot of other people who are exactly like this, so it is not fair to say 90% of a country is armed.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would agree that most likely no one will invade us, but it will not take the whole world to take the US down, we are already working on doing that by ourselves here in the US.

14. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I don't see a problem with owning a gun, gun laws just need to be enforced better, which they are working on after the tragedy of VA tech.

So what if there are 9 guns to 10 people in America. I know many people that are gun collectors that have dozens, if not hundreds of guns. My dad is not a collector, but he has I believe 3 guns- a pistol, a riffle, and a shotgun. Does he use them- no, are they locked up- yes. Just because there is a 9:10 does not mean that 9/10 people are going to go around shooting people.

In most cases, the only reason you are likely going to get shot is because you are a drug dealer. If you live in a neighborhood that is at least moderately safe you won't have an issue. If you don't, I suppose its likely you could get stabbed, beatten up and mugged, or raped.

How about some smoking bans in Europe. I went to Ireland and loved it, but there was so much public smoking it was disgusting.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's the most ignorant thing I've heard for many reasons I don't feel like going into right now....it should be plainly obvious. Because the people more likely to get shot are drug dealers (please provide the stats on that too :rolleyes:) or a bunch of poor people living in bad areas, we should be OK with guns? Not everyone's fortunate enough to live in a nice quiet suburban neighborhood and drive their "look at me, I'm rich" status symbol of a car all day like you are. So we should just forget about them? Rather than do something about the guns, tell them that it's all their fault for not making enough money to move out to a nice, fancy gated community. There are some people out there making minimum wage flipping burgers or cleaning sh*t out of toilets who do more work in a day than some people like you will do your entire life. And to say, "oh, well, they live in a bad neighborhood, they might get shot, too bad, lets not worry about people having guns" is just absured.

But the entire point is moot anyways. These days, going to work or college is enough to get shot and killed.

16. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I've seen a loaded shotgun make a 'lost bum' out of an attempted home invader... my rifles have stopped gators, snakes, and snappers from doing irreparable harm to the younguns... put a sick animal out of its misery with the help of Smith & Wesson... and will surely put food on the table should the economy fail and stores dry up. Guns are good - people shouldn't pick one up unless they know how to use it. As far as the murderers, maybe we should ban automobiles first. People who want to kill other people will find a way to do just that regardless, but they may think twice when 9 out of 10 Americans is loaded and ready.;)

17. jf8 macrumors regular

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/viort.htm

"These days"? There's always been a risk of random acts or violence, but as seen above, violent crime has dropped recently...

Being alive is enough to get shot and killed.

18. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Just because I have a gun doesn't mean I am going to shoot a person with it. And just because I don't have it doesn't I can kill someone with something else. For example

- Knives
    - Razor Blades
    - Bow and Arrow
    - Spear
    - Club, Baseball Bat, Golf Club, etc
    - Car, Lawnmower
    - A shard, or even a ~Shard~
    - A shank carved out of a toothbrush

Anything really.

There are plenty of other things you can kill people with than Guns. Somehow people were able to fight for thousands of years without Guns.

19. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Well since I have 12 guns I guess I'm making up for y'all macrumorians that don't have any. :D

20. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

guns dont kill people, george bush kills people

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

So does bad spinach.

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Of course, we could well have another civil war.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I prefer my tazer, so I can shoot first and ask questions later.

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Do you really think that we buy high end cars because we want to be looked at? That's too funny. Contrary to what you might think, I could give a rat's hind quarters whether you notice what I'm driving or not.

Now quit driving through my neighborhood and gawking at my house!

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Guess which side has the most guns.