U.S. Navy just spent $9.1 million to keep running Windows XP

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by aaronvan, Jun 25, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

My husband works on the encryption systems on Navy ships. He complains all the time about using Windows for this.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

What's even worse is that only the first "sucker" is REALLY paying the salaries of those that code security updates for XP, the rest of the "suckers" are tagging along and just lining the pockets of Microsoft. Once the updates are written, it doesn't cost them ANYTHING to make them available to others.

My company pushed and actually hit the target to eradicate XP from the network, they even went as far as turning off network ports for XP machines (if the web traffic redirected to a warning about the OS didn't work) but it got the job done.

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Thanks for this information!

The Russian Navy

;)

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The cost of updating the systems to run anything other than xp could be massively more expensive.

6. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    That is not something one should boast about over the net.

7. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

i've seen w2kpro desktops in use 'somehere' in 2013, IIRC... now that's some serious milking of rocks :)

8. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Government computing is not impressive. In 2008 the entire GPS constellation still ran on MS-DOS and TurboPascal.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I'm a bit surprised they even use Windows at all for military applications. I'd have thought it would be all UNIX and Z/OS mainframes, servers and supercomputers due to the high level of reliability. Linux or FreeBSD on smaller systems, drones, &c. With Windows being relegated to office type work.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Governments and international organisations tend to stay with whatever system family they have been using since they first switched over to the world of computing. Call it a form of inertia, if you like, or a grim comfort with what is familiar.

Moreover, it takes quite a while for them to internalise - or accept - that these systems need to be constantly upgraded or updated. For that matter, their audit systems and budgetary systems would have been predicated on the idea that once monies had been ear-marked for a particular project, and subsequently spent, that the project has been dealt with.

The idea that such systems are on ongoing expense is something it has taken many organisations, both public and private, quite some time to get used to.

In any case, no, I'm not surprised that XP is still in use. I remember Lotus Notes (which was perfectly dreadful) were still in use in one public body where I worked, long after Word was the standard which everybody else used.

11. 960design macrumors 68000

Ubuntu is free. Spend the next several years training users and staff on its benefits to ensure a happy adoption.

Easier said than done, is a typical, knee jerk response. Just as continue with the current, expensive crap is the response of the jerks.

The good news is that there may be a few openings that the Smart Phone division could transfer over from.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

So I'm a jerk?

13. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

A lot of the backend stuff is various *nix distros. At DoD I encountered FreeBSD, Solaris, Red Hat, etc. It is mainly the user applications that need Windows.

14. dirtylilhobo macrumors newbie

dirtylilhobo

Windows XP now seems so Stone Age. Military and civil administrations allocate billions for computers, training and customized applications but not much thought seems to go into system upgrades. Hardware and software upgrade for many governmental organizations is, to them, like reinventing the wheel and their IT budgets reflect adversity toward anything other than what they started with.

I would imagine that many directors and facility IT managers cringe at the thought of advancing hardware or operating systems and having to virtually rewrite and test their custom software applications to insure they still function under a new OS.

15. Nogitsune macrumors newbie

Nogitsune

I wish they would update to windows 7. I understand why they wouldn't to windows 10 despite it being a good os but windows 7 at least would be decent

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We just got windows 7 in 2011 on our very non-critical computers we'll get Windows 10 in 2019 probably.

I think most people don't understand how complex these systems are and how much custom SW was written for XP. The Navy is slowly migrating to Linux but it's going to take time and mega bucks.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/10/the-navys-newest-warship-is-powered-by-linux/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/US-N...-Powered-Zumwalt-Class-Destroyer-472247.shtml

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-navys-newest-linux-powered-command-center-is-right-1682363296

17. 960design macrumors 68000

Lolz... I don't know. Are you consulting companies to spend hard earned profits on outdated and virus friendly software?

18. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

19. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

This is the same U.S. Navy that outlawed fried foods from the mess hall. Must be PC, must be PC!

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Or there are to many fat bodies on the ship. When you're a fatty you don't get fried chicken and french fries.

21. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

No one will be getting fried food. Fat, skinny, tall, short, male, female, or other.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

So. If you have fatty sailors working for you fix it, if your buddies a fatty help them. That's one thing the CO can do, you sailors don't want to PT then they'll cut your calories from fat.

23. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

LOL no fried foods will be coming to the service branch near you in order to stay PC for obama.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We've already had no fried foods, before Obama. Sorry sailor

25. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot