U.S. Navy Petty Officer Faces 10 Years in Prison For Deleting Classified Data

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, May 27, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The highest level of spillage in this case is CONFIDENTIAL and the sailor faces ten years. Hillary's home-brew server spills TS-SCI all over the dirtynet and she skates. Nice double-standard we have here.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/kristian-saucier-investigation-hillary-clinton-223646

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you know full well soldiers are expendable in too many degrees.

3. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

what world do you live in? this is always the case. the rich get away with what the poor can not or the lower ranks can't **** rolls downhill as usual. You think trump did not use this advantage?

4. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

I wasn't aware that Trump is under investigation for mishandling classified information.

Source please?

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

being able to do things others cant because of his position or money. your getting too literal.

6. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

No, I'm staying on the direct topic of the thread. Try it sometime, it's really not that difficult ;)

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's important to note two things: first, there is little evidence that Clinton's server was actually hacked despite claims from a hacker that doing so was easy.

Second, remember that the FBI is currently investigating Clinton and there is some disagreement between the State Dept. and the CIA about the actual classification of the emails.

It's also worth noting that at least part of the case against Saucier is that he tried to cover it up and destroyed information showing that he took pictures of the sub's engine room.

Similarly Petraeus put himself in deeper water by lying to investigators as the story notes. That said, senior public officials nearly always escape real prosecution—see Scooter Libby, who blew a CIA asset's cover, for example.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

9. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

So, destroying digital information (pictures), is different from destroying digital information (deleted emails) how, exactly?

10. FireWire2 macrumors 6502

FireWire2

It's pity for people still in Hillary booat

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Hilary to be fair got a lawyer to review and delete the irrelevant ones.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

We do have a double standard, Hillary is being attacked for something that Colin Powell did too. When we see him under investigation by the FBI as well then I will believe that it isn't political. As it is I think it's about like corruption trials in third world countries, it's quite likely that she is guilty of something, but the decision to go after her and not other people who did the same thing is 100% political.

13. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Or... it's 100% the fact that hers is the only activity that did not pre-date the specific handling regulations.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Charge Colin. Problem solved

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm fine with that. However I don't think the majority of people pushing for charges against Clinton would be.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Spade is a spade , if they did wrong they should fry

17. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Baloney. Hillary kept a private server in her bathroom that linked to government networks used to transfer TS-SCI information. Nobody ever did that before or after Hillary.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Powell did.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Colin Powell used private email that was on some random company's server. A server in your home is going to be a lot more secure than that.

20. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

It's also important to note that the reason for the paucity of evidence is Clinton's perjury, destruction of evidence, and stonewalling.
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2016 ---
    Right. 'Cause of the robust staff of information security professionals who worked in Hillary's bathroom. (P.S., the server was actually in the bathroom of one of those random companies.)

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I have seen sailors get written up for making an improper cross out in the ships log.

22. Admiral, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016

Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

More germane to this discussion, I have seen a sailor go to prison for leaving Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information out of the safe unattended, in a locked back room inside another locked larger room in an underground, windowless bunker protected by armed guards who checked the ID of everyone entering. The TS/SCI material was left out for six hours, on a desk in a room accessible only to a small group of people who were all cleared for access to material like it (hence they knew the combination to the back room). And it was of course under a cover sheet bearing the classification marking, so that none of its actual content was exposed to anyone. Four years in prison.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I have worked with TS/SCI crypto SAS, captains eyes only and so on.
    The level of accountability we were held to was at time overwhelming.

if I had a dollar for every catch 22 security scenario we ran into we all could retire.
    In the middle the shredder, destructor, destroying SAS dies with material still wedged in the mechanics.
    There's two of us but due to the location of the shredder and the phone security protocol has to be broken to inform the CoC.

First friggen thing asked' who was the third person in the room?
    For obvious reasons we understood the question.

Manned up, gave them the answer they didn't want to hear.
    Due to the sensitivity of the material it got ugly.

When I reflect back on that experience and I see the what Hillary so nonchalantly dismisses, it makes my blood boil.

24. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Right! She hired a lawyer to delete the irrelevant ones. I'm sure they were just love notes between here and Bill. :rolleyes:

25. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Wonder if that lawyer is still around?