U.S. plans to sell arms to Saudi Arabia, Egypt

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 28, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

mcclatchy

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

This is news? We sell these guys weapons all the time.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]
    27 57'56N 45 33'01E

King Khalid Military City.

Madynat al-Malik Khalid al-'Askariyah) is a special city in northeastern Saudi Arabia, designed and built by the Middle East Division, a unit of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, in the 1970's and 1980's. The consultants were Brown, Daltas, and Associates in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The city was built to provide lodging for several brigades of American and Saudi troops, with a design population of 65,000 people. The city is named after the former Saudi King Khalid bin Abdul Aziz.

The U.S. has been selling the Sauds arms for while apparently. I doubt its a relationship Washington can just switch off.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This makes sense. Let's sell arms to the country whose own nationals attacked us. Great idea. :rolleyes: Yeah- we've been selling them arms for a while. Don't ya think maybe now is a good time to stop? Just a suggestion.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Those nationals would have been just as happy doing the same to the leadership of Saudi Arabia. Those weapons make sure that the Saud family isn't deposed by those wahabist nutjobs.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Fine- can't wait for the day when those wahabist nutjobs take over and start using the arms we sold to Saudi Arabia. By the way, been to Saudi Arabia? Not a nice place. My brother spent a year there and told me horror stories that I'll never forget. Supporting a place like that gives me the chills.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Spent two and a half years living there and I don't mean in a US military compound or company compound either.

Maybe now you'll understand a little better my "love" for the entire region and the culture. :(

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then let's get the hell out.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not really. You had some bad experiences. Doesn't excuse all of the comments you make.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this could bite us in the butt someday. Like the help we gave the Afghan rebels, or Iraq back when Saddam was our ally, or the stuff we sold to Iran. But hey, at this point anyone can be our enemy someday. Guess we gotta sell to somebody to help fund our defense against the last people we sold weapons to. :rolleyes:

10. Queso macrumors G4

Saudi is a bad example for the region though. Bahrain, Qatar, Egypt and the Emirates all make Saudi look like a cultural backwater (as do both Iran and Iraq thinking about it). If Saudi didn't have Mecca in the middle of it most of the Muslim world probably wouldn't want to bother with it at all.

Put arms dealers in the White House and you can't expect anything less.

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Really? Name a U.S. President in the past 50 years that hasn't sold weapons to our allies. Are they all arms dealers?

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We need to choose our "allies" a bit more carefully, don't you think?

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

If we were to be truly selective, we wouldn't have any now would we? Got to make the best of what we have to work with.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think there's an acceptable level of risk when it comes to with whom we choose to ally ourselves. I have to say I have big problems selling arms to Saudi Arabia.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Why? We also sell passenger jets to them as well. Some might say those are arms too. It looks like theyre going to sell to U.A.E. as well.

It'll be interesting to see what Israel gets out of the deal.

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Most likely the best intel you can get from our satellite, telephone and internet monitoring technology on Iran and Syria.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I mentioned the reason why already in this thread.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Saudis’ Role in Iraq Frustrates U.S. Officials