U.S. Pledge $900m in Gaza Rebuild Aid

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by és:, Feb 24, 2009.

1. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Source: msnbc
    I thought that this was worthy of it's own thread but if the moderators disagree then feel free to merge it with whichever thread you feel most appropriate. I think this is a great move by the US and a generous one. Some will will disagree but the state that Gaza is in at the moment is not something to take lightly. Many will say that it isn't the responsability of the US but this is going to help you in the long run, aswell as Palestinians in the short term.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It seems only fair, since the US supplied most of the legal and illegal weapons systems and munitions used to wreak the havoc in the first place.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Nice to see. I wonder if Hamas can realistically be cut out of the picture, however, considering their position in Gaza.

Sure, they are a point-of-contention both in the US politically and to the Israelis, but for better-or-worse they represent a reality in Gaza.

You cannot cut them out of rebuilding and/or any peace process and expect either to progress in a meaningful or even moral way.

Politically, cutting out Hamas will probably only strengthen them, and further undermine Fatah - as Fatah is just not in a position to effect change on the ground in Gaza in a meaningful fashion, with Hamas having little incentive to aid the process under most scenarios.

More importantly, however, is the moral issue. Gazans are starving and living in hellish conditions. Not including Hamas in this aid distribution and/or not talking with them is a de-facto boycott of Hamas. This effectively punishes over a million people who have serious humanitarian problems. The Gazans are not our enemies.

As distasteful as Hamas can be, it can only be moderated by including it in the mainstream political process, as Fatah was in the 70's. After all, we promoted Arafat at the Madrid Peace process between Jordan and Israel - although he certainly had blood on his hands.

I hope the money comes, and that we can move forward to translating that into real quality-of-life improvements for Gazans - many of whom have lived in refugee-camp conditions for three generations. We have a moral imperative to do so, and a strategic one - as these conditions can certainly breed potential terrorists. I would think that Israel would agree.

If they don't, well screw them - The US hardly has to prove it's friendship with Israel (which we should have) by starving the people in Gaza - it is immoral as well as politically impractical.

oh, I may have ranted a little...sorry.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I do agree that, difficult as it may be, Hamas must be included in the deal somehow, both as a conduit for aid and as a means of moderating their position. Continuing to treat the democratically elected government of Gaza as outlaws will not serve any useful purpose whatever.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Considering the Palestinian Authority has received about 10 billion from various countries since 1993 and hasn't done much in terms of quelling rocket attacks. This influx of cash has done little to advance the development of a viable Palestinian state or of peace in the region.

from 2006
    link

6. és: thread starter macrumors 6502a

és:

Considering Israel has had trillions from the US in aid and military funding it hasn't done much in terms of quelling... well, I'll stop there (through hope not to derail the thread, not through lack of ammunition to aim at Israel) but you get the idea.

We shouldn't really turn this into yet another Israel/Palestine debate. I think it would be better if we discussed the merits of the US and their pledge.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

David Horowitz wouldn't happen to have a rather pronounced pro-Israeli bias, now would he?

8. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Why?! Ok, lets shoot a bunch of rockets at people. Oh nos! We got destroyed by Israel, hey can you help us build this stuff up again, we're scheduled to shoot more rockets at you by this summer.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Who are you referring to? Hamas, the rocket-firers, or the people of Gaza? The people whose land has been seized and built on, whose houses have been bulldozed, whose movements are entirely restricted, whose economy is completely non-functional, whose sons and daughters are being shot at, bombed, rocketed and hit with internationally banned munitions supplied by the US government, whose freely elected representatives are being imprisoned, held without trial and targeted for assassination and whose lawful revenues are being withheld by the same unholy alliance which encouraged the election? Those people?

10. és: thread starter macrumors 6502a

és:

A comprehensive summing up of the situation, if I have ever heard one.

11. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Yeah, the civilians were the ones shooting rockets, from the schools and homes. Get your facts right, not using preconceptions to form a point from. There are plenty of statistics to show just how disproportionate Israel's response was, regardless of wether not you believe a response should have been carried out in the first place.

Think before you post.

12. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

We don't need that 900 million here in this country anywhere. We are all good. :rolleyes: Where do the Palestinians file for US income tax again? :cool:

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Same place as the Israelis, I suppose. Why do you ask?

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Or one could ask the Pakistanis where they file. Or the Egyptians. Or the Saudis.

15. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ah so aid is only good if we get something out of it. I see I see.

And people wonder why the USA has such a bad reputation for being self centered:rolleyes:

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And Israel gets land from the Palestinians. How convenient. Whose land have they donated to the USA, I wonder, theirs or the Palestinians'?

18. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Did the US always own the land it now occupies?

I wonder if the middle east is Rome's?

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is Israel occupying land it stole from Rome? :confused:

20. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Wait, you said Israel stole it from the Palestinians. So the Palestinians would have stole it from Rome. Rome would have stole it from the Persian Empire. How far back you want to go? We could blame the Babylonians I guess no?

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought the UN gave Israel the land?
    So who originally took what?

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whatever the UN agreed to, Israel has seized and occupies much, much more.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Palestine never wanted them there in the first place. You can blame the UN for starting this whole mess.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Irrelevant. You can't undo that. It's what is happening now that matters. There should be a unitary state for all the inhabitants, not one based on a colonialist occupation.