U.S. Poverty rate at 15.8%?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Oct 20, 2009.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Our unemployment rate is probably a lot higher than what the numbers offer and is probably pretty close to 15%, I forget what the time period is, but after a certain amount of unemployment you are dropped off as willfully unemployed.

3. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

yes, poverty is approaching crippling numbers all over NY state. The economy seems to be as bad here as california. Yet there are those living with their yachts and mcmansions still all over long island and westchester. It's absurd

4. Shivetya macrumors 65816

what we consider poverty in this country is luxurious in others

I know people below the poverty line with a car,tv, and cell.

FWIW, according to government standards my parents live below the poverty line... and the bought a 130k motor home this year and a new ford fusion just a few days ago.

but they are poor because they have no "income". Go figure.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yup, not living in a shanty town and starving sure is luxurious.
    There is no single poverty "line", it depends on a variety of factors, and does not vary by region. This obviously can lead to people in Oklahoma doing just fine on the same income that someone in Connecticut struggles to cover basic necessities. Additionally, it's updated for inflation based on the Consumer Price Index for people living in urban areas, which (almost) always cost more than rural areas.
    Related info: Cost of Living for the 2nd Quarter 2009.

6. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I guess assuming those yacht and mansion ppl don’t have jobs and their dividends are under 20K, then they would be considered “poor”? :p

7. Shivetya macrumors 65816

The current formula, which dates to the 1960s, defines poverty as total income that falls below three times the annual cost of groceries. So for a family of four, the poverty level is now a one-size-fits-all $21,834.

For 2008, the Census estimated the poverty threshold under that formula would be $24,755. Many of those who would be newly defined as poor under this formula are older Americans with growing out-of-pocket medical expenses.

What part of the article didn't you understand? They are basing it on INCOME. Millions of retired senior citizens, who own their homes, have little in bills besides utilities and medical, qualify as "below the poverty line".

That is why this article's claim of 40 million is pure BS. Just like having 50 million uninsured. You can make numbers to look as extreme as you want provided you want to lie by omission or just lie outright.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ever been to the banks of the Mississippi? That's truly scary.

9. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

umm no. I meant it's absurd how divided the wealth is in this state

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How many dollars a day per person is the US poverty line? If its less than about 6 then its the same rate as you use in the developing world ($2/day) given purchasing power parity.

11. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, they could be also people who got rich elsewhere and decided to move to somewhere close to new york where they can enjoy the sea.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

What part of "There is no single 'line'" didn't you understand? The income levels to be considered "in poverty" are different according to how many people live in the household, their ages, and number of children under 18. For a hypothetical senior couple, the income amount would be $10,326.
    I told you in my last post that year-to-year changes are based on the Consumer Price Index for urban areas, I even gave you a link to the page on the Census Bureau's website were they list everything that goes into calculating the amounts. Don't say I didn't understand something when it was you who didn't read.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I don't think shivetya understands what income is.

Income is different than wages or salaries. Social Security and pension proceeds are still considered as income and may be taxable. The same with stock dividends or rental income.

Just because a person is retired doesn't mean they don't have income. How hard is that to understand?