U.S. Report Says Iran Halted Nuclear Weapons Program in 2003

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Dec 3, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

This is very good news for American service men, and women. It is also huge for those of us still hopeful of seeing an end to the disastrous policies we have endured for far too long. Now, let's see which super liar(s) steps forward to dispute this, or offer more excuses for an invasion. The three obvious candidates are Lieberman, Kristol and Cheney. I will also go with Krauthhammer, Bile-O, Hannity, the rest of FOX, Perle, Card, Rove, Armitage and Robertson. You know, all the usual suspects. By their actions, we shall see whether they care more for their political agenda, or the lives of America's citizens.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

We all know what the response will be.

"We can't trust anything the Iranians say." will be the standard response. Of course, that will ignore the "We have to believe the Iranians when they say they'll nuke Israel" line.

But then, cognitive dissonance is nothing new for the neo-right.

3. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

I doubt if the top 10 American intelligence agencies would have simply taken Iran's word, while they were assembling the National Intelligence Estimate. Of interest, the British, French, German and even the Mossad are in agreement. Basically, it is the WH and a small group of US authoritarians who are promoting the 'need for war'.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What kills me is that we've known this for how long, but the same could be said of Iraq. Luckily, we have neither the resources, nor the support, to even try anything against them anyway. Unless attacked or overtly provoked. Even then. Not to mention the massive undertaking, and we can't even handle Iraq, let alone the 'stans right now. I'm sure they'll still try, they always try. They have lots of rhetoric to spew back and forth to prove each other's points. And there are some legitimate issues right now. I can only hope though that we can pursue diplomacy and containment above all else, instead of making it worse. Hopefully we won't have to wait for the next administration to do so, but that looks likely, and (hopefully) thankfully that's not too far off.

Just hoping they don't actually turn out to be some kind of threat eventually (especially under poor future leadership, on both sides) because we can't really do anything about it, other than the unthinkable.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I sort of wonder why this report was released. It would seem that bushco was powerless to prevent it from going public. If that's the case then obviously there are people out there who are doing everything they can to prevent another illegal and immoral war. That's the true definition of patriotism.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I heard a report where someone said the intelligence agencies were basically giving Cheney a big FU. Thought that was funny, but it seems to be true throughout the gov. I don't blame the leakers for whistleblowing. I doubt it's solely because of things like Plame, and being thrown under the bus and blamed for their incompetence, but somebody has to do it, and despite their bluster, we all know the Dems won't.

Lots of regrets about Iraq, I don't blame those in the know who want to prevent the same thing again, only worse.

7. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Wolfowitz is back in Washington, he'll find a reason to invade Iran.

more here:
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/73273

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Until this article it was "the intelligence community" can't be trusted. Evidently Bush turned that around to your satisfaction. You going to give him props for that?

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You mean that, because of him twisting facts he was picking and choosing just like with the Iraq war someone saw the need to release publicly what he was twisting to mean the opposite? Yeah, I guess we could thank him for that. :rolleyes: You can't possibly be serious. This is exactly the opposite of what the administration and the current GOP frontrunners have been saying. Completely discredits them.

But no, it was never "the intelligence community" that couldn't be trusted. It was those who ignored parts of it, then blowing out of proportion pieces of things, often the out of context or even completely untrue and unverified, like what came from "Curveball". Maybe you believed it when they blamed the intel and those who provided it, most of us didn't. Most of us knew better. Of course, most of us also still have a problem that they leaked the identity of one of their undercover agents, which you for some reason still don't.

Obfuscate all you want, Bush was wrong. Again. Face it.

10. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I guess this means we won't be attacking Iran this year or next year; can we bring the freaking gas prices down then? :mad:

11. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Ugg Wrote:

I sort of wonder why this report was released. It would seem that bushco was powerless to prevent it from going public. If that's the case then obviously there are people out there who are doing everything they can to prevent another illegal and immoral war. That's the true definition of patriotism.

solvs Wrote:

I heard a report where someone said the intelligence agencies were basically giving Cheney a big FU. Thought that was funny, but it seems to be true throughout the gov. I don't blame the leakers for whistleblowing. I doubt it's solely because of things like Plame, and being thrown under the bus and blamed for their incompetence, but somebody has to do it, and despite their bluster, we all know the Dems won't.

Lots of regrets about Iraq, I don't blame those in the know who want to prevent the same thing again, only worse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am addressing both of you since your two posts are following a continuous line of thought I wish to speak to. I am hoping to learn how this 'leak' came down and who was responsible. However, it is unlikely I shall. I have two friends who will know. But, it is very unlikely either would tell me, unless most of the information became public.

The CIA has been fielding most of the blame for 9/11. It is still going on today. It was just a couple months ago that Powell was pointing the finger at them for 'faulty intel', which led him to deceive the UN. The CIA was on-record as stating "The WH is cooking the Intel Books in making their case for war.

The CIA is a proud, professional organization. They are basically divided into two sections; Intelligence and Operations. Yet, they are also divided internally by the career professionals and the political, exempt appointees. It is this latter group who often cause so much grief for the agency (this is true in most government agencies.

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Why? So people can continue to drive their huge, inefficient SUVs with little or no impact to their lives?

I've been badgering just about every major car manufacturer to provide diesel versions of their cars and trucks so that we can move towards fuel efficiency as a country and most - not all - say that the advantages of diesel aren't compelling enough to the American people at this price point in gas.

The public won't pressure Congress to drill in the reserves that we have either at this price point.

I say let the prices rise.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How Al Gore of you. ;)

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sorry, did I miss something? I don't follow the references to a "leak."

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I heard part of the news conference on the radio. I thought Bush's statements were notably more circumspect, which seemed like a positive development. Then I read the Hadley WWIII remark and have to wonder what pages these guys are on.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Or what drugs.

18. mpw Guest

I heard Bush on the BBC this evening giving a press conference somewhere. The most worrying statement to my ears was when he was saying that the world couldn't be safe while Iran had the knowledge to create nuclear weapons.

What other knowledge is Bush going to deny them?

Going to war for non-existing WMD is one thing if you believe they're there MAYBE, but the idea he might consider a war because somebody knows how to make them is kinda crazy!

19. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Bush will just block the sale of Texas Instruments electronic calculators from his home state to Iran. :p

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bush, lets see got us into a war, Iraq had no WMDs, 400 billion dollars later ...here we go again.

Lets face it the current Republican party thrives on selling fear. Anyone listening at all can hear it and they all seem to be selling the crap except Ron Paul. Let me get this right, we have a bunch of republicans selling fear and only they can save us from it. Most these guys never served a day.

21. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Maybe I completely misunderstand your statement, but isn't diesel like 20 to 30 cents more expensive right now?

On topic, I thought it was interesting that Bush never really said its a good thing. He just kept hounding after the idea that we are all still in danger and that they are still trying to enrich uranium...

22. mpw Guest

Yeah you did. He wants diesel on ecological grounds, but as you point out saving the planet at a 20cent cost to the American consumer doesn't make sense commercially to the car manufacturers.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He desperately wants another war, that should be obvious. His whole presidency has been a disaster, but maybe if he just invades one more country he can get it right. Either that, or he's looking for a way to suspend the elections and stay in office. You can say "where's your tin foil hat" as many times as you want, but I've been right about this man from the beginning.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I get twice as much mileage out of a gallon of diesel than I would if I'd bought the comparable gasoline model of my car. So if you want to factor in the slightly higher (a regular seasonal adjustment) cost of diesel then I guess you could say that it'd be like paying $1.75 for a gallon of gas while everyone else is paying $3.20.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

From now on, we shall refer to you as The Oracle.