U.S. representative Rashida Tlaib has kind of a calming feeling when thinking about the Holocaust

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solver, May 13, 2019.

1. Solver, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019

Solver macrumors 6502a

There’s always kind of a calming feeling, I tell folks, when I think of the Holocaust, and the tragedy of the Holocaust, and the fact that it was my ancestors — Palestinians — who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence in many ways, have been wiped out, and some people's passports," Tlaib said on the podcast's most recent episode, published Friday. "And, just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post-the Holocaust, post-the tragedy and the horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time. And, I love the fact that it was my ancestors that provided that, right, in many ways, but they did it in a way that took their human dignity away and it was forced on them."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rashida-tlaib-holocaust-calming-feeling-house-gop

2. Herdfan macrumors 6502

One day the Jewish Community in the US is going to wake TF up and drop the Dems like 3rd period French.

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

There’s nothing wrong with what she said.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I love how conservatives have to make up fairy tales about every Muslim in Congress. But they aren’t racist. Honest.

5. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I agree with you that most Muslims aren't racist but, in my opinion, Rashida Tlaib is a racist based on the comments she makes.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What comments has she made with the full context?

The comment is a bit odd, but I fail to see any anti-semitism.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

to me it seems she somehow accepts what happened to her people in order for the Jews to have a life after the holocaust ... still a bit weird.

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Some day people might wake TF up and learn that not every Jew on the planet is Israeli or supports the action of the Israeli government and assuming so is actually racist.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

racist is not the right word but yes I have heard some Jews do not support the actions of their GOVT.

10. VulchR, May 13, 2019

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It is a cruel irony that the largely European population of Jewish people who settled in Israel took with them the European attitudes and prejudices about people of color and Muslims. Also, I think Jewish people in the US will look on Trump's statement about Charlottesville and vow never to vote for the GOP. I doubt seriously they feel neo-nazi's are 'very fine people'.

11. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

It’s racist in the same way as if you went up to a random black person and asked them who they are aligned with in the Congo crisis. They must have a dog in the fight and be pretty passionate about it, right?

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

You mean like some democrats call other black guys uncle toms for thinking differently?

13. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

That's overt racism. I'm talking more about ignorant racism.

14. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Not really the same. There are some blacks in the US that probably have no idea about the Congo crisis as it doesn't affect them personally. But being Jewish in this country when there is an elected member of Congress spewing anti-Semitic garbage can affect them personally.

I mean if Tlaib can say things like this, how long until others are embolden enough to start saying it. I mean, hey your side says the same thing about Trump and his emboldening Neo-Nazi's, so why not her as well?

Some how it seems her and Omar's comments are always taken out of context. Maybe they need to learn to speak better. But for now, I see it as where there is smoke, there is fire.

15. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The criticisms of this latest comment don’t even make any sense. What is it even supposed to mean that she has a “calming feeling” about the holocaust? Clearly, what she said was that the forced loss of her ancestors’ homeland upset her, but that upset was tempered (i.e., calmed) by the knowledge that that loss provided the survivors of the holocaust with a new homeland. The efforts to turn this into something anti-Semitic are just absurd.

16. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

They do need to polish up their way of communicating but there are plenty of people in the US that are critical of the Isreali government but it's extremely rare you hear it from actual members of our government. It's practically unAmerican and it shouldn't be.

Everybody in that region needs to put on their big boy pants and stop playing the religion card as an excuse for every damn thing. I’m anti-the-whole-middle-east and if they didn’t have oil we’d probably just let them all stone each other to death without a second thought.

17. ThisBougieLife, May 13, 2019

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Yeah when I need to relax I just sit back and think of the Holocaust. :confused:

There's no doubt that people are mining statements looking to be offended, looking to paint "enemy" politicians in the worst possible light. It's been done with Trump, it's done with Omar and Tlaib. An idiot can tell that she was saying "I love the Holocaust". But these people say really stupid **** sometimes. And you simply have to be more careful in today's climate.

18. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

What a vitriolic thread title.. You either didn't comprehend what she said, or deliberately trying to get people riled up. She said she felt that way because Jews found a refuge even though it was at someone else's expense. It was certainly not because Jews were persecuted, as you are trying to imply with such misleading title.

19. Solver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds like she’s emotionally ready for more good old fashion social justice with a big dose of collective punishment.

20. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

aka faux outrage.

21. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I don’t see the “calm” thing is really problematic as I assume I understand the context shes speaking in.

The problem I have with a lot of these politicians is they will never accept Palestine’s role in the conflict, in refusing peace deal after peace deal, etc. Israel, especially under Netanyahu has done some pretty awful things, but it does not excuse Palestine’s horrific government, especially Hamas.

The problem I have with R.T. specifically is she hangs out with Louis Farrakhan and other extremists like him.

And this “weaponizing antisemitism criticism” is really hypocritical when the defense is “you’re just saying that because she’s a <race/religion/etc> woman”. It makes little sense to me why this is seen as a good defense.

22. JayMysterio, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019

JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Just of curiousity, because I am unfamiliar. When did Tlalib 'hang out with Louis Farrakhan'? I was aware of the op - ed piece she wrote for the newsletter of the Nation of Islam in 2006, that had the right wing blogosphere lose their minds a few months ago. I am unaware of her regularly associating with Farrakhan and other extremists she hangs with.

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think present-day American conservatives need to spend some time reflecting on exactly why there was, from the outset, widespread support from American conservatives for the creation of the State of Israel in 1947.

They were in favour of European Jews migrating to Palestine, because they didn't want them coming to the USA.

And that one of the reasons so many European Jews perished in the Holocaust was the extreme hostility towards refugees present in US immigration policy. (See the story of MS St. Louis, and many others.)

Here we are, eighty years on, and we have a President ranting and raging about today's refugees from violence and oppression.

So I really don't think we need Fox News lecturing anybody about moral rectitude.

24. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

It's one of the many failures of the West's colonialism which had no right to say "Here, it's yours.", especially when dealing with people who like to call dibs on things based on something that happened hundreds to thousands of years ago and who don't play well with others when that's concerned.

25. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

As usual words are turned around. Good article here to read before blindly following what Fox News and others want you to believe. There is a history of twisting statements and facts

https://theweek.com/articles/841293...raordinary-about-israel-republicans-perverted
    --- Post Merged, May 14, 2019 ---
    This is one of the problems that one runs into when one declares their country or state as a Jewish or Muslim one. What happens then is one can't criticize one without being considered anti-semitic or Islamophobic. As long as one references clearly and does not brush with a broad paint brush one should be good. Talking about 10 bad apples in a case of 100 apples does not mean one hates apples or one is saying that all apples are bad.